Rubber Stamp Chat

Go Back   Rubber Stamp Chat > Studio > Stamp Talk

Stamp Talk Discuss everything rubber stamp and paper crafts related.

Old 07-14-2014, 11:24 PM
UpsideDown

Default Rubber or Clear or Cling?

I'm going to stir the pot. Everyone's got opinions about this. Some stamp manufacturer's went with clear for cost and issues like easier storage and shipping. Clear alphabets are awesome since you can line up letters and make your own words. But I'm an old fashioned wood mounted, quality rubber, quality foam, deeply etched, carefully worked images, closely trimmed, kind of person. I hate cheap stamps. Foam stamps make me crazy. Cling stamps are 50/50 since half of the ones out there are thin, cheap and untrimmed.

What about you? Do you have a preference? Are there reasons why you buy one type or the other when given the choice? Do you think certain imagery works better in one or the other? Here's your chance to sing praises or complain. Painters get to fuss over brushes (did you know that women are more likely to paint with round brushes while men pick flat?). So fuss about your stamps.
Old 07-15-2014, 09:17 AM

Default My Humble Opinion About Stamps

Everyone knows that I am really new to all things crafting. I purchase what I see other people using. I started out purchasing lots of rubber stamps on wood blocks. I liked them and didn't find them too difficult to work with except if I didn't stamp the image will. I couldn't go back over it and stamp it again like I can with the clear stamps. I also have found that it really is easier to line the stamps up, like letters in words, when I can see where they are as I place them on the paper. Yes it is very true that some stamps appear to be far better quality than others. I picked up a clear stamp in the past few months and it felt like jelly. It tore as I was taking it off the plastic sheet in the packaging. Again, I think some of the mass produced clear stamps are not necessarily out there for longevity. My wood block stamps seem to be better quality stamps for use, price, and longevity but the truth is that I do use wood, cling and clear stamps, depending on if I like the image and price.
Old 07-15-2014, 02:42 PM
UpsideDown

I've had two clear stamp failures. No tearing yet. Some are super super sticky after awhile, including fingers, paper, anything at all. But the heart breakers are the ones that stop sticking -- I've lost alphabet letters because of that. I vowed to never buy a clear alphabet again that did not have duplicates for the common letters, or to just buy two sets at once (grrr).
Old 07-15-2014, 02:48 PM
Been real & been fun

I first learned about rubber dies when I started stamping back in the mid 90s. I mounted images on foam and then on some not-so-standard wood blocks.

I gave acrylic stamps a try but didn't care for them because they yellowed and stretched and didn't seem to tend toward longevity. Cats Pajamas had some that intrigued me and which I purchased, but again, longevity and yellowing caused me to get rid of them.

My preference is foam mounted rubberstamps. Although I can mount them myself, I prefer them premounted so I can use them right away. The wood blocks are pretty, but they don't lend themselves for easy storage. Plus, I have found that foam mounted rubberstamps are a good go-between the acrylics and the wood mounted.

GameGirl, if you don't stamp your image well, one trick is to make it look deliberate, draw over it or color it in. I've used colored pencil to color in solid images and that has worked rather well for me.

Last edited by TheAfricanQueen; 07-15-2014 at 03:05 PM.
Old 07-15-2014, 03:40 PM
Cookie Muncher

Most of my stamps are wood mounted, although I do have some clear and some on cling cushion. I find I don't use the cling and clear images nearly as often as the wood, probably because it takes more time to set them up to use. With the wood, I just pull out a drawer with a certain category, and everything I have is indexed right in front of me. My cling and clear stamps are stored either in a notebook or in a drawer with my raw rubber (that I plan to mount someday), and they're organized by company, not subject.

If I need precise placement of an image, I use my handy-dandy image placer, which is just a sheet of 5" x 6" clear plastic with a separate corner square. I stamp the image on a corner of the acrylic using the square to guide the stamp, move the image where I want it, put the square in place, take away the plastic, and stamp the image, again using the square as my guide.

Last edited by Lady Kestrel; 07-16-2014 at 10:40 AM.
Old 07-15-2014, 03:46 PM
Been real & been fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpsideDown View Post
I've had two clear stamp failures. No tearing yet. Some are super super sticky after awhile, including fingers, paper, anything at all. But the heart breakers are the ones that stop sticking -- I've lost alphabet letters because of that. I vowed to never buy a clear alphabet again that did not have duplicates for the common letters, or to just buy two sets at once (grrr).
The way to take care of that is to wash them (use a drop of dish liquid to a spray bottle of water) and dry them. That should cause them to recling.
Old 07-15-2014, 03:56 PM
UpsideDown

I always pre-stamp. Load the stamp up with ink and stamp it on some plain paper. That way I can see where I missed with the ink pad, and where I need to put more pressure. For bigger stamps I stand up -- when you stamp sitting you don't get even pressure no matter what type of stamp. My test sheets often become fodder for future projects.

I have some clear stamps change color and some not. I know there are different plastic formulas out there. Does anyone know about this?

But I do know that all the gray rubber stamps I've owned have been poor quality.

There is the issue of indexing for all stamps. With wood mount it's right there. The clear stamp sheets kind of work but I peel off the ones I like and will use and put them on my own heavy plastic sheets so no indexing (I give the rest away). Foam/cling mounted just don't have an index and my eyesight isn't good enough to get a real guess what's on the rubber.
Old 07-15-2014, 04:39 PM
Cookie Muncher

For my cling mounted images, I stamp them out on a letter-size sheet of paper in the same order I have them arranged on the cling notebook page. I then slip the paper into a plastic pocket and make it the facing page of the ring binder.
Old 07-15-2014, 08:08 PM

I'm 50/50 on clear and wood mount. I love the clear with the advantage of seeing where I'm stamping. I've had bad wood mounted stamps, put on crooked, not deep enough etching I haven't had any problems with my clear stamps.
Old 07-17-2014, 08:40 AM
UpsideDown

One of the big issues here is quality stamps from quality manufacturers. But even then there's no 100% guarantee. At least for wood mounted stamps I've had no problems requesting an exchange for a poorly indexed stamp or one with a rubber defect. I haven't bothered trying this with clear stamps.