Rubber Stamp Chat

Go Back   Rubber Stamp Chat > Studio > Stamp Talk

Stamp Talk Discuss everything rubber stamp and paper crafts related.

Old 06-03-2014, 10:02 AM
UpsideDown

Default Do you have a stamp index system?

I purchased hardwood stamp drawers in the 90s so I can kind of group by category, but I've always wanted some sort of quick reference index.

For instance I might spend a lot of time looking for the Alice in Wonderland rabbit because he could be in with the animals, the people (since he's upright and dressed), or with the fantasy (dragons, brownies, etc.).

Do you have a paper index? A computer one? Does it have actual stamped images or just name/description? I've got over 200 stamps so it really would help to hear what others have tried. I'd love to stop pulling out a million drawers.
--
Also, does anyone make or sell stamp cabinets with drawers? Mine are 5 drawers high and just deep enough for wood mounted stamps; the pulled out drawers are a little smaller then a cookie sheet. I love these cabinets. Because of the smooth drawer bottoms and the enclosed space even my cheap rubber have survived 15 years. I hate the plastic drawers because they are flimsy and I doubt the petroleum based plastic has stopped releasing gases (that new car smell? yep all the plastic is still exhaling). Eventually I'll commission a cabinet maker but I would prefer to avoid the hassle.
Old 06-03-2014, 02:52 PM
Cookie Muncher

I use a wide 3-ring binder with an alphabet index to organize my stamp categories, and I stamp out the images in whatever categories that apply. (My Alice rabbit is under both rabbits and fantasy.) As I acquire stamps, I also stamp them out in the back of the binder in order to keep a running count (which is now over 5,000 thanks to my virtual convention purchases). I have a table of contents listing my categories, and the first page of each category has a stamped title, such as aquatics, entertainment and safari.

I was lucky enough to marry a custom furniture maker who made me 3 chests of 5-7 drawers over the years. I also use a Shaker map chest, two cardboard 5-drawer units, a Japanese tansu chest, a wooden toolbox with drawers, and many excellent stamp drawer units made by Scrap n Cube, an online store. Each unit holds a general category, such as women, with a sub-category in each drawer, such famous women and women in sports.
Old 06-03-2014, 05:19 PM
Been real & been fun

I have been eyeing technical drawing cabinets for some time now. They are just so expensive. I have a small wooden chest of drawers that I currently keep my UMs and the few mounted that I own. The drawers are titled with similar titles that catalog companies have such as letters and phrases, backgrounds, flora and fauna, etc.

Admittedly, I have not come up with a cataloging system because I keep my UMs rubber side up. Granted, some of the alphabets and some of the phrases are a bit hard to make out, but I usually manage somehow.

Somewhere in my artistic travels I did see a cabinet made for either scrapbooking, stamping or both but I cannot remember the name. I'll see if I can locate it.
Old 06-03-2014, 05:28 PM
Been real & been fun

Ah, here it is: The Original Scrapbox Although it isn't entirely wood, I wonder if you could get them to make you something that you could pay extra for. May be worth a try.
Old 06-03-2014, 07:15 PM
Cookie Muncher

Here's the link to Scrap N Cube as well. I have one of their tables, drawers of different sizes, and two cubes for paper. They are solidly made.
Old 06-03-2014, 10:49 PM
Been real & been fun

Those are SO cool! Much better than the one I presented.
Old 06-04-2014, 10:18 AM
Cookie Muncher

They're not cheap, but considering that they're made-to-order and so sturdy that you can stand on them, they are worth the price. I do have loads of plastic drawers of different sizes for all my accouterments.

Last edited by Lady Kestrel; 06-07-2014 at 10:26 AM.
Old 06-05-2014, 01:05 PM
UpsideDown

Scrap n Cube is great! On my list of future purchases! I need two right now. The best part of small drawers is you can pull one and carry it around the house. Map drawers are cool but weigh a ton and are difficult to move around.

Great ideas for indexing. A binder would easily allow more pages between tabs. Putting a difficult stamp in multiple categories is… how did I not think of that?!!! You're really helped me think that project might actually happen.

A comment about storing rubber. Levenworth Jackson told me years ago that storing rubber side down an a flat surface is very important. Rubber continues to age and change over time, so keeping the raised surface of the rubber flat means it won't get distorted or damaged by stretching or slumping. It's a long term issue. I'm not fond of unmounted rubber because of this. But there are people here who probably have plenty of experience I don't have. All my 15+ year old stamps are wood mounted.
Old 06-05-2014, 06:50 PM
Been real & been fun

I've not had any distortions occur on my UMs. They are kept in a drawer with rubber side up. My problem is that the cling mount tends to dry out which I revitalize by rubbing it on the damp side of my Scrub n Buff.

Dust is a serious enemy to rubber. That info came from my friend who has been stamping since 1978 and who also introduced me to this craft.
Old 08-13-2014, 11:03 PM

I do have a system. I started it when I had about 50 stamps and bought a duplicate. I picked up a paper sorter, 24 9X12 slots. I caught a sale at a paper supply store; 8*X 11 boxes w/lids for 50, which made 24 drawers. I stack my stamps 2 up in the drawers.
I have a notebook categorized by subject. Each stamp is numbered and each drawer carries about 25 to 30 stamps. I only have 450 stamps. I'm glad I started early.
I have about a dozen new stamps to catalogue. The problem is, it's a chore to add stamps to the system. I really need a craftroom genie.