Rubber Stamp Chat

Go Back   Rubber Stamp Chat > Studio > Stamp Search

Stamp Search Need help finding a particular image?

Old 08-16-2007, 10:21 AM
bigcaat

Default Looking for "Sun" Stamp.

I'm new to looking for stamps. I emboss velvet.

I'm looking for a stamp of a sun, of which I found plenty, but they are all too small. Here's what I'm looking for:

A large blocky image, something like the one on the red bag, third down on the right. (I've looked for this stamp, but can't find it.)
http://www.alltarot.com/AT-VelvetMoon.html

It needs to be in the neighborhood of 3 x 3. A little larger could work, 3.5 x 3.5, but not too much smaller than, say 2 7/8 x 2 7/8.

I don't want anything 'whimsical' or 'fru-fru'. I want a serious sun, very much like the picture I just posted, or something with that type of feel.

I have been searching for weeks, to no avail. If any of you know someplace I might find something like this, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks,
Caat
Old 08-16-2007, 03:38 PM
Etha

I think with this kind of image and in that large size, why not carve your own? There are several methods where you can transfer your image of choice onto carving material and then carve away. I think that would be perfect!
Old 08-16-2007, 04:17 PM
Inky the Muse

What a great idea!

One question: Will the standard carving block materials stand up to the heat of the iron w/o melting? Real rubber erasers might & if she can find one large enough to carve a sun the size she wants, she'll be in business. The white plastic eraser/carving block type may very well melt even under the low heat required for velvet embossing.

Anybody out in RSC Land have a clue about this they'd like to share with the class?
Old 08-16-2007, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcaat View Post
I'm new to looking for stamps.

Thanks,
Caat
Two good places to look for stamps when you know what you want the image to look like but don't have any idea what company (if any) makes what you are wishing for are eBay and Addicted to Rubberstamps. Reason being you can search by keyword ("sun") and see hits from a wide variety of companies in one place. You don't necessarily need to buy from those sources - if you know what company makes it once you have found the image you want it can sometimes be cheaper and or simpler to go directly through the company that produces the image.

http://www.addictedtorubberstamps.com/

I did a quick search on addicted to rubberstamps and there were a lot of hits for "sun" - some looked sort of like what you are describing but I didn't check the sizes, etc.

You can also find a lot of stamp companies on-line (including those that advertise here, of course). Many of them will have some sort of index or search function on their website. If you have a good stamping magazine (Rubberstampmadness is one of my faves) you can also look at all the stamp company ads to see what their websites are, etc.

Good luck!

Kate
Old 08-16-2007, 08:07 PM
bigcaat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etha View Post
I think with this kind of image and in that large size, why not carve your own? There are several methods where you can transfer your image of choice onto carving material and then carve away. I think that would be perfect!
Hi Etha.

Yeah, thanks. I don't do that because I don't know how to draw. I'm good at a lot of things, but drawing is not one of them.

I do have one that I created in illustrator by combining a couple of different image ideas, and I got a custom stamp made which will do me for a while, but I just really don't like it all that much. I'm just not very good. I have it in my mind what things should look like, but I don't have the ability to transfer it to paper, and I don't know anyone who draws.

I did find one that I absolutely love -- http://www.stampfrancisco.com/Produc...aming+sun+face -- it's just perfect -- but it's too - small!

I just emailed the copyright department and asked if I couldn't buy the stamp and then get it custom made. I'll have to wait and see if they respond.

The carving thing is a good idea, but I'm just not a person who can do that, unfortunately.

Thanks,
Caat
Old 08-16-2007, 08:10 PM
bigcaat

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatStamper View Post
Two good places to look for stamps when you know what you want the image to look like but don't have any idea what company (if any) makes what you are wishing for are eBay and Addicted to Rubberstamps.

You can also find a lot of stamp companies on-line (including those that advertise here, of course).
Kate
Thanks Kate.

I have spent hours searching the web, ebay and I think I had gone to addicted to stamps some time ago, but I just went back now to look, upon your recommendation. Yes, they have some designs that would work for me, but again -- I am so frustrated -- they are not the right size.

I will check back there though, maybe with some other terms like "celestial" or something.

Thanks for the tips.
Caat
Old 08-16-2007, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcaat View Post
Thanks Kate.

I have spent hours searching the web, ebay and I think I had gone to addicted to stamps some time ago, but I just went back now to look, upon your recommendation. Yes, they have some designs that would work for me, but again -- I am so frustrated -- they are not the right size.

I will check back there though, maybe with some other terms like "celestial" or something.

Thanks for the tips.
Caat
I know that feeling about searching for hours for stamps that I'm not sure even exist! It can be very frustrating, yet the occasional success also makes it addicting.

Another thought, since it sounds like you are willing to get a custom stamp made - have you looked at clip art websites? If you found the image you want as copyright free clip art, you could probably resize it on your computer to exactly the size you want, and get someone to make you a custom stamp.

Good luck!
Kate

Last edited by CatStamper; 08-16-2007 at 08:18 PM. Reason: typo
Old 08-17-2007, 08:38 AM
My Paper Moon

The below sun is 2-1/4 x 2-1/4.

I have a larger sun which I don't sell that I would be happy to send to you. It's not the same sun as above, and I don't have a scan, but I can scan it this weekend and email it to you to see if it's what you'd like.
visit my blog at:
http://www.becky-mypapermoon.blogspot.com
Old 08-17-2007, 05:03 PM

Have you tried contacting the people at http://www.alltarot.com/AT-VelvetMoon.html and asking them what stamp they used? They may not tell you, but it can't hurt to ask.

This one is quite large: http://cgi.ebay.com/Judi-Kins-Large-...QQcmdZViewItem

My Blog
The Crafty Table

Last edited by Craftyria; 08-17-2007 at 05:11 PM.
Old 08-29-2007, 05:30 PM
Spideycindy

Location: I reside in Nice, California. Very rural but beautiful.

The stamp you like comes from Hot Potatoes I believe called EL SoL and the size is 2 1/2x 2 1/2
I know Mary is big on the velvet stamp deal and there it was. Hope that helps you!
Spideycindy