Rubber Stamp Chat

Go Back   Rubber Stamp Chat > Studio > Tips and Tutorials

Tips and Tutorials Learn new stamping techniques and projects. Ask how stamping techniques are done here.

Old 05-05-2013, 01:54 PM
Been real & been fun

Default Heat Embossed Backgrounds

I was looking at letterpressing with the Cuttlebug when I stumbled across this tutorial for heat embossing backgrounds.

There, for a while, I struggled with heat embossing stamped images. Nothing seemed to work. Perhaps I had old ink or old embossing powder. And even though many of you here tried to assist me, I still just could not get it to work.

So, this heat embossing backgrounds looks like something I could live with. My heat gun was gathering dust, I had purchased some black embossing powder that remained unopened until today.

I ventured out onto this technique with some intrepidation. As a side note, I've also adhered tin foil and other types of foil to cardstock and then ran them through my Cuttlebug. The problem with that is I found if I didn't evenly lay the adhesive, then the corners and edges of the foil would lift. I'm not much into making a mess even though I tried adhering adhesives such as ModPodge and PVA with a rubber brush. And the lift was much worse if I used Aleene's Tack & Tack. And forget about dry adhesive altogether! (The one dry adhesive that did work was by using the permanent adhesive with the Zyron Make-a-Sticker 5" - which I have eliminated from my tools because the replacements weren't cost effective).

I do love the look of heat embossed black embossing powder. I went for it hoping for the best and here's the result (plus, I'm always looking for ways to make masculine looking cards):
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Argyle heat embossed background.jpg (25.2 KB, 33 views)
Old 05-05-2013, 01:59 PM
Been real & been fun

It's kind of hard to see, but after I ran the hand sander (courtesy of my husband's shop and which he gave me!) the light colored Bazzill cardstock that I used as my base, comes through making this look like authentic argyle. I also like how the sanding reduced the sheen of the black embossing on the raised portions of the cardstock.

I used a 3" x 3.25" piece of cardstock to do this so that I was erring on the side of 'safe'.

The other thing I like about this technique is that is some ways it kind of replicates the idea of the cardstock that is available with the core being a different color. I can hardly wait to get hold of some other colors of embossing powder!
Old 05-05-2013, 02:14 PM

You could probably have done this with clear powder as that would make whatever color the cardstock is look shiny. Might be worth a try. It would also assure a good color match with any color paper.
Old 05-05-2013, 04:37 PM
Been real & been fun

These are some of the tools that I used. It wouldn't really work with clear powder because then the color of the cardstock wouldn't need to be sanded.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Heat embossed background tools.jpg (15.2 KB, 30 views)
Old 05-05-2013, 04:37 PM
Been real & been fun

BTW Fab, did you watch the vid?
Old 05-05-2013, 05:09 PM

No, I must have not seen that. Perhaps I can check it out. Was it YouTube?
Old 05-05-2013, 05:21 PM
Been real & been fun

If you will go back to my first post and double click on 'heat embossing backgrounds', it will take you right there.
Old 05-06-2013, 12:01 PM

OK, have now seen the video and it all makes more sense to me. I did not realize that you had first heat embossed the whole thing. I see now that the clear powder would not give the same effect.
Old 05-06-2013, 01:48 PM
Been real & been fun

I like how it gives more depth to the argyle embossing. I also like the fact that I don't have to be concerned over any stray powder.
Old 05-06-2013, 02:47 PM

LOL..........'cause it will be all over!