Rubber Stamp Chat

Go Back   Rubber Stamp Chat > Studio > Tips and Tutorials

Tips and Tutorials Learn new stamping techniques and projects. Ask how stamping techniques are done here.

Old 04-24-2013, 07:27 PM
Been real & been fun

Default Washi Tape

A couple of friends of mine have extalled the virtues of Washi tape. Up until recently, I didn't even really know what it was. Since that time, I've seen a number of YouTube videos on how to make washi tape as I understand it can be somewhat pricey.

Washi tape is basically a decorated paper tape. Tissue paper, wrapping paper, washi paper, decorative napkins can be used on different types of tape to make this type of tape. Think of tape that is easily tearable such as masking tape. Some people use masking tape, some use the Xyron sticker maker (the one that looks like an 'X'), some use the Xyron Create A Sticker (for wider pieces of washi tape) and Scor Tape. I'm certain that there are other mediums to use as well, but these are the ones that I've seen.

Here are some of the YouTube vids I've recently seen:

Scor Tape washi tape

Masking tape washi tape

Xyron sticker maker washi tape

Now that I know what washi tape is, I'd like to know what it's used for. Would love to hear your ideas!
Old 04-24-2013, 07:47 PM

I looked at those and some for sale in stores and the whole idea does not appeal to me at all. Lots of other stuff to spend my time and money on.
Old 04-24-2013, 08:18 PM
Been real & been fun

SOK Fab. Not everything appeals to everyone. Thank God for choices!
Old 04-24-2013, 09:30 PM

Yeah, seem to be quite the rage. I can see its uses but I'm not really impressed by the demos and samples I have seen. Show me something wonderful.
Old 04-25-2013, 08:01 AM
stampin stacy

I picked up a few on clearance recently and while the patterns I got are nice, I'm still trying to figure out what the big deal is. It's just tearable plastic tape in various colors and patterns. While it may be convenient as you can tear instead of using scissor, I think real ribbon adds much more texture, depth and variety to a card. And really a quick snip with scissors is just not that big of a deal.

I'll use what I have eventually but won't be making or buying more probably. FYI - If you look at the 2 sided plaque I uploaded yesterday it has green and beige w/ white polka dot washi tapes on it.
Old 04-25-2013, 08:20 AM
Viva Las Vegastamps!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5EIKG...2i7Qy64tFM5LBd
http://vivalas.blogspot.com/
Old 04-25-2013, 09:00 AM
Been real & been fun

After doing some additional research, I have found that true washi tape is made using rice paper.

The main reason I put out this thread was to get feedback from my fellow RSCers. There are times when it's nice to have others sell you or steer you away from an idea. And this was one of those times.

More feedback is always welcome!
Old 04-25-2013, 09:51 AM

I think we RSCers are more use and manipulate what we've already got. The most striking cards I've seen with washi tape have been where the tape has been used instead of DP as an accent or where a la Stacy I would have used ribbon.

Now that I've said that I just bought a set of SUps notecards to make small thank you notes so my eldest has something to give to the folks that have helped her and her kindergarten class. I don't want to weigh them down too much and bits of washi tape would work. But, I think I'll be sorting through my ribbon stash and making small bows or attaching stripes of ribbon instead!
Old 04-25-2013, 11:33 AM

Most of this adds up to why I never bought in. Stampo, I watched the video but it never got to showing nice finished uses for the tape. I will still stick with other trims.
Old 04-25-2013, 05:48 PM
Viva Las Vegastamps!

Well you could use it as a trim on a card and then cut the edge with scalloped scissors or use it on the inside edge of the card and scallop the outside edge so it peeks through...
http://vivalas.blogspot.com/