Rubber Stamp Chat

Go Back   Rubber Stamp Chat > Studio > Tips and Tutorials

Tips and Tutorials Learn new stamping techniques and projects. Ask how stamping techniques are done here.

Old 12-20-2012, 10:07 AM
Craft Curmududgeon

Wink Stamping on acetate

This thread is something of a '2-fer' since the project illustrates a way to use stamped-acetate to create mirror-images of a stamp without using a 'reversed-image' rubberstamp & shares one way to color stamped-acetate.

My goal with this project was to create the illusion of a reflected image. That meant one of the stamped designs had to be reversed. So I stamped the snowman (Hampton Art) on a piece of clear acetate plastic using StazOn. Once that was done, I was able to figure out the composition.

I stamped the snowman on a piece of white stock. Then I cut out the space for the 'icy patch'. I placed the acetate under the opening & checked to be sure I had the 'correct' side of the plastic up so the reversed image was next to the paper. Then I applied craft paint to parts of the image on its reverse face.

To assemble the project I attached the acetate behind the opening, backed the acetate with crumpled foil & smudged in some blue ink to the paper
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mirror stamp snowman.jpg (32.0 KB, 36 views)

Last edited by Craft Curmududgeon; 12-20-2012 at 10:23 AM.
Old 12-20-2012, 01:53 PM

This is a new technique for me. Thanks for sharing it. I can't wait to give it a go. I'll post back when I do.
Old 12-20-2012, 03:01 PM

Nice! I had not heard of that way of doing a reverse image reflection
Old 12-21-2012, 11:14 AM
Craft Curmududgeon

Wink

Here's a variation on stamping on acetate...

For this project ('01), I used Stazon to stamp the inside of the lid from a plastic container. Several stamps (some are just parts of an image) were used to create the LO using regular masking.

Now comes the 'fun' part--coloring. I used a variety of different type craft paints on this piece. Several were 'glass' paints, some were regular craft paint & a few were dimensional paints.

While I'm not sure it shows up well, I did some highlights & shading. And that's the tricky part of reverse-painting/color. You must put those colors/strokes in before you apply the 'base' color. And the process requires patience since it goes best when you paint wet over dry.

As I recall, I used 4 stamps (all from Hampton Art)--the 'naked lady', the rose leaf, the rose & the butterfly.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg heart lid.jpg (39.0 KB, 34 views)
Old 12-21-2012, 11:18 AM

Wonderful composition! I'm thinking this would be perfect for reflecting an image in a "mirror". I have one of those tiltable cheval mirrors in my bedroom and that would be a perfect way to do this sort of thing.
Old 12-21-2012, 09:14 PM

Great samples I didn't know you could do that with acetate...I definitely have to try that
Old 12-22-2012, 08:16 PM

That's a new technique for using acetate to me. Thanks for explaining how you did it. I really like that reverse image look.
Old 12-23-2012, 02:10 AM

Daniel- She is so beautiful. The whole creation is just absolutely beautiful! I can't stop looking at it. Thank you for sharing her. I want that beautiful lady stamp too. She is so pretty. She looks like Elizabeth Taylor.

Last edited by lylacfey; 12-23-2012 at 02:55 AM.
Old 12-23-2012, 08:13 AM
Craft Curmududgeon

Wink

Thanx for the nice words about my projects. The heart lid remains one I am proud of.

While no one has asked, some may wonder about using markers to color stamped plastic or glass. Long as the marker works on those materials you can certainly go that route. Not sure if markers like Spectrum Noir & Copics work on plastic & glass, but if they do that would be fine. However...

When I use markers to color on plastic & glass, I invariably do 'animation cel' technique. That merely means I stamp on the face of plastic/glass & color the reverse side. Why? Simply because 'solvent will erase solvent'.

What that means is that if my marker touches the StazOn ink of the stamping, it will erase the line. By keeping the stamping & coloring on separate sides of the material I don't have to be concerned about that happening. HTH.
Old 12-23-2012, 11:20 AM

Thanks so much for all the tips/hints. I've learned a lot...now just to put those ideas into action.