Rubber Stamp Chat

Go Back   Rubber Stamp Chat > Studio > Tips and Tutorials

Tips and Tutorials Learn new stamping techniques and projects. Ask how stamping techniques are done here.

Old 12-13-2012, 11:10 AM
Craft Curmududgeon

Wink 'Wood' you stamp?

Haven't played with it for a while, but did a spate of stamping on wood--mostly shapes & sticks.

Here's 2 older works. The angel was done with wood shapes & the scroll uses 'skill sticks' (a variation of regular wood sticks).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wood star.jpg (24.1 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg wood scroll.jpg (36.8 KB, 26 views)
Old 12-13-2012, 02:46 PM

That is interesting. I have never stamped on wood before.
Old 12-13-2012, 05:43 PM

Oh I have to get my grandson to stamp with me, we have a huge jar of them. And of course he has at least a dozen car stamps.
Question does it matter what kind of ink we use?
Old 12-14-2012, 04:00 AM
Been real & been fun

Daniel - have you stamped on veneer?
Old 12-14-2012, 07:28 AM
stampin stacy

Lol one of the first discussions we had here at RSC way back when... was about stamping on popcycle or craft sticks. I think the ones I made are still in my gallery somewhere.

I would think the ink you use would depend on the surface of the wood, if totally untreated the ink might "run and blur" a bit. I just used whatever dye ink I had on hand and didn't have a problem but maybe I got lucky. I will say though cheap colored pencils colored on them like a dream.

Thanks for the reminder, I just might have to make a couple of craft stick puzzles for christmas gifts.... Yeah right like I'll find the time, lol. and for those that are wondering stamp n color something different on the front and back of the sticks then tie with a ribbon and the recipient has to figure out which sides go together.
Old 12-14-2012, 09:47 AM
Craft Curmududgeon

Wink

Funny you mention stamped 'puzzles', Stacy.

I did this one & sent the pieces loose for a friend to reassemble.

I use crayons to color lots of my wood work. I apply the crayon & rub with a paper napkin for a satin finish.

Something I might try when there's time. Gonna soak thin wood shapes in warm water to soften them. Then I'll try using them in embossing folders,
Attached Images
File Type: jpg santa puzzle.jpg (39.2 KB, 26 views)
Old 12-14-2012, 09:52 AM

Here's info on wood veneer and inks put together by Inky Whiskers. I can't tell if this is her original or my edited piece.

1) After sealing the surface, veneer is wonderful for all kinds of coloring mediums! You can use, but are not limited to: markers, pencils, water color paints (including Twinkling H2Os), watercolor pencils & crayons, and rubber stamping inks. Youíll want to use a permanent ink (i.e. StazOn, Archival ink, SU! Basic Black, Brown & Gray or other solvent based ink) when using any of the water based colorants, including the markers, to prevent the outline of your stamped images from bleeding into your colors. Also, youíll want to use opaque mediums when coloring on the darker woods or the colors wonít show very well. Pencils, Twinks & crayon all show on the darker colors as long as you donít dilute the pigments with too much water. When in doubt as to how a certain medium will look, try it first on a small piece of the veneer. You may also wish to seal the surface after coloring if the medium is prone to bleeding when exposed to humidity or other sources of moisture.
Old 12-14-2012, 09:57 AM

Yup, you've got to moisten veneer or soak wooden pieces or they'll crack in the embossing folders. . .several missteps to learn this one. In my Big Shot, some of the die cuts or folders will cause splits on the scoring lines; I was trying to make small boxes out of the veneer. I think a bit of prepping with oil would have helped but I didn't try it because I didn't want to gunk up my dies!
Old 12-14-2012, 11:00 AM
Craft Curmududgeon

Thumbs up

Karen. Good info on the veneer. TFS. Back in the late 90s some company sent me samples of 'wood paper'. It was real wood in sheets (8x11). Can't recall the company name.

All my previous 'wood work' (stamping-related) was done long before I got a Cuttlebug or embossing folders. So it's fun going back to some materials & seeing how they work with 'new' products/techniques.
Old 12-14-2012, 02:47 PM

Great ideas, everyone! Thank you so much for sharing