Rubber Stamp Chat

Go Back   Rubber Stamp Chat > Studio > Stamp Talk

Stamp Talk Discuss everything rubber stamp and paper crafts related.

Old 12-08-2012, 10:09 AM
StampwithBernie

Default Lapel pins from cardstock?

When I was at a convention several years ago, I was amazed when I saw a pin made of cardstock--you couldn't tell it was paper! Since then I've been trying to make one. Here are my attempts. Does anyone have any unique ideas for lapel pins made with cardstock?

Bernie
Old 12-08-2012, 11:01 AM

nope...i have done them..stamped and then kept heat embossing it until i had the thickness i wanted and bloom, there was my art pin..and then i glued my attachment pin on the back..i am still wearing them to this day..they never break
Old 12-08-2012, 11:15 AM
Craft Curmududgeon

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by StampwithBernie View Post
When I was at a convention several years ago, I was amazed when I saw a pin made of cardstock--you couldn't tell it was paper! Since then I've been trying to make one. Here are my attempts. Does anyone have any unique ideas for lapel pins made with cardstock?
Your CS pins are neat, Bernie! TFS!

Can you share why those you saw didn't look like paper? Were they glazed? If so, do you know what the artist used?

I'm very tempted to suggest you look at craftfoam as (stamped) pin material, but I'll honor your request for 'paper' ideas...

Start with good old brown paper bags--aka Kraft paper. Stamp it with a waterproof ink using an image that is wearable size for the lapel pin. Color if you want, but use waterproof pigments.

Now mix a drop of water with white glue to make your glaze--like combining powdered sugar with a drop of milk. Coat the stamping & allow to dry; then coat the back side of the piece--ditto the dry. Continue coating & drying to build up the glaze.

Tips: Once you have the base glaze done, you can sprinkle the additional wet coats with stuff like glitter. You can shape the paper piece as you add layers of 'glue glaze', too.
Old 12-08-2012, 12:48 PM
StampwithBernie

Oh, very interesting ideas--heat embossing is neat! I knew there would be different ways to make these pins. Thanks for some cool ideas.

For mine, I punched out the cardstock four times and used Towbow glue to glue them together (the top piece is either Designer Paper or white cardstock that has been stamped or sponged). When it was damp from the glue, I also shaped the cardstock stack. When dry, I edged it with a darker marker (so any white edges don't show). Put the pin on the back and painted the entire piece with Crystal Effects. I added pearls and I suppose you could add ribbon, beads and more to change the look. All of my materials were from Stampin' Up!

I have a PDF tutorial on how I made mine on my website (well actually it is in my Dec Newsletter so you need to sign up and it will be sent to you).
Thanks,
Bernie
Old 12-08-2012, 06:34 PM
Been real & been fun

There was an SU workshop that I attended last year where the demonstrator had premade some pins using fabric and I believe she used dies and a Big Shot. She layered it, sewed a button to hold it all together and glued a pin to the back.

Another idea that I would think would be rather amazing looking is to use 3D Crystal Lacquer to give the stamped image a 3D look.

Oops! I just reread the first post and see you only want CS. Sorry!
Old 12-08-2012, 06:42 PM
StampwithBernie

All ideas welcomed! Roberta, that is a good idea with the fabric and buttons. I'm always wondering what to do with my scraps and also odd buttons and maybe some ribbon or lace too. Great idea.

I'm not sure what Crystal 3D Lacquer is. Is it like Stampin' Up! Crystal Effects?
Bernie
Old 12-08-2012, 09:03 PM
Been real & been fun

To be quite honest, I've no idea what Crystal Effects is as I've never used it. But from what I determined by some research on the internet, it seems to be relatively the same.

3D Crystal Lacquer is made by Sakura, if that's of any help. I sure wish Inky Whiskers were still frequenting this site. She would surely know.
Old 12-08-2012, 10:59 PM
StampwithBernie

It sounds similar--Crystal Effects is a thick, clear liquid plastic and when it is applied with a squeeze bottle or 'painted' on, it leaves a clear, shiny, plastic-like coating that is hard. It can also be used as a glue. I like it as a heavy coating for the pins but I also use it to brush lightly over flowers or leaves for a realistic shine.
Bernie
Old 12-09-2012, 07:06 AM
stampin stacy

Will I do?! lol

They are the same thing by different companies.
Old 12-09-2012, 08:17 AM

Those are really pretty I think it would be a fun thing to make as well.