Rubber Stamp Chat

Go Back   Rubber Stamp Chat > Studio > Tips and Tutorials

Tips and Tutorials Learn new stamping techniques and projects. Ask how stamping techniques are done here.

Old 12-05-2012, 09:45 AM
Craft Curmududgeon

Wink Punch Nibbled Materials

Not sure this forum is the correct one for this topic, but...

As I got into doing more paper crafting (including stamping), I began to amass a stash of punches--'regular', hand grip, etc..

Although I first used them to create shapes primarily, I began to see other ways to employ them in my projects. One such way was to punch-nibble.

Here's an example from around 2007... The icicles were done by edge-punching with an oakleaf punch (MCGill) & the foliage under the snowman stamp (Hampton Art) was done with a snowflake punch (McGill).

The concept of 'PN' is to create interesting edges that are not readily identifiable as being done by a specific punch.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg niibbled paper.jpg (39.0 KB, 47 views)
Old 12-06-2012, 07:49 PM

That turned out really neat and I love this idea! I've never actually tried it...tfs
Old 12-06-2012, 08:05 PM
Been real & been fun

Thinking outside the proverbial box is something that I am VERY into. Until now, I'd not heard of 'punch nibble'. Quite the interesting concept!

Just recently, I tried to make a cupcake using an oval circle and a scalloped circle punch. Not sure that counts as PN. Is there such a thing as Nesties Nibbles or something similar with embossing folders?
Old 12-07-2012, 08:51 AM
Craft Curmududgeon

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAfricanQueen View Post
Thinking outside the proverbial box is something that I am VERY into. Until now, I'd not heard of 'punch nibble'. Quite the interesting concept!

Just recently, I tried to make a cupcake using an oval circle and a scalloped circle punch. Not sure that counts as PN. Is there such a thing as Nesties Nibbles or something similar with embossing folders?
Always fun to find a kindred 'outta-the-boxer', Roberta!

Far as I know, I was the first to use the term punch nibble. Although I never had examples published, I came up with on my own.

I have two favorite style punches I like to use. Plunger punches & hand grip. Plunger punches are those I have to press down on or use a lever to do the punching. Hand grips are those like the old ticket punch ones. I have lots of those--Fiskars & McGill.

Last edited by Craft Curmududgeon; 12-07-2012 at 09:29 AM.
Old 12-07-2012, 09:38 AM
Craft Curmududgeon

Talking

Here's another example of 'punch-nibbled' work from about '06.

The challenge was to create an ATC that could double as a business card. I've erased the info that was in the exposed area, but the mug shot is moi. The beard's a bit greyer these days.

The nibbled parts were done on CS & (dry) embossed a bit (doesn't show well). The mug shot was fussy cut & attached to the base with a brad so it could do the 'pickaboo' swing.

The nibble was done with a snowflake punch.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg head shot.jpg (39.0 KB, 38 views)
Old 12-07-2012, 09:50 AM
Been real & been fun

You really should have sent your ideas into RSM. It's always nice to see someone of the male gender that can appreciate paper art and can challenge the rest of us with 'new' ideas!
Old 12-18-2012, 07:47 PM
skeeter93

That's fantastic! I would have never thought of doing anything like that! Now I'm thinking of all the border punches I bought and wondering how many could be done without...
Old 12-19-2012, 01:22 PM
Craft Curmududgeon

Talking

Now is when I wish I were able to scan & upload the way I was formerly able, but figure I should be able to share with text only. Let me know if you understand what I'm attempting to share. OK?

I'm making a metal (beverage can) ornament for one of mom's friends--a lovely lady who drives mom to her hairdresser appts. They are also 'Breakfast Buddies" & I want Nancy to know how much I appreciate her.

To make the ornament I used the Tim Holtz folder (Sizzix) with the snowman to emboss the design. I would have prefered having/using the same design as a diecut, but don't have it. So... (OOB alert!) I decided to cut the snowman out instead.

Could have done just a fussy cut with scissors, but decided to punch-nibble instead. I used a Fiskars handgrip punch (bell) to do the job. I first punched along the outline of the snowman to release the shape. Then I went back around & nibbled away more metal. Also used the punch to open the interior parts of the design (arms). Actually didn't take long to get the nibbling finished, but I've done this before.

Once the shape was nibbled out, I wiped the metal with Tulip paint (Pacific Blue Crystals). Looks good & the paint 'filled in' the snowflakes on the embossed snowman.

I can live with this 'as is', but I have time to play. So I'm going to do some more metal/punch/embossing to 'complete' the ornament.

If I can, I'll make another & ask a friend to scan it for me so I can share it with you.

Note: You do not need special shape handgrip punches to nibble out a stamped shape. Circle punches are just fine, but glad I have lots of options...wink, wink? My 2 fave hangrip punch sources? Fiskars & McGill.
Old 12-19-2012, 03:09 PM

Daniel, you can get your photos on computer in many other ways than scanning. For example, do you have a mobile phone? You can get photos off the phone onto computer via Bluetooth. Do you have a Facebook account? You can upload photos from your phone to Facebook, or to Instagram.

Do you have a digital camera? Take your photos then hook your camera up to the computer and download the photos.

Ask us if you need a bit of help to work out how to do it exactly?
Old 12-20-2012, 08:20 AM
Craft Curmududgeon

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susanlhl View Post
Daniel, you can get your photos on computer in many other ways than scanning. For example, do you have a mobile phone? You can get photos off the phone onto computer via Bluetooth. Do you have a Facebook account? You can upload photos from your phone to Facebook, or to Instagram.

Do you have a digital camera? Take your photos then hook your camera up to the computer and download the photos.

Ask us if you need a bit of help to work out how to do it exactly?
Bless you, Susan. None of your options will work for me, but thanks for the offer. 'Sok. I'm able to get around the problem, it just takes a little more time & effort.

Update on the snowman piece: I put a piece of metal thru the CB using a set of Nestie circles to make 'wreaths'. I took the medium-sized one & embossed it with an EF to add texture. I coated the wreath with Tulip paint--seafoam & then emerald crystals. Looks good. Film @ whenever...