Rubber Stamp Chat

Go Back   Rubber Stamp Chat > Studio > Tips and Tutorials

Tips and Tutorials Learn new stamping techniques and projects. Ask how stamping techniques are done here.

Old 03-18-2012, 07:40 AM
paperaddict

Default hand carving your stamps

Hello!
This post is in response to a new member showing interest in hand carving.

Do you hand carve?

I have...mostly I started with the basic speedball set. Then as I advanced I actually went to the dollar store erasers ....big ones you can find when school supplies are available.

If you start with big bold shapes and practice a lot...you can get some real cool effects.

Post here if you havd tips, ideas or questions.....
Old 03-21-2012, 08:22 PM
Spideycindy

Location: I reside in Nice, California. Very rural but beautiful.

I know J3annin3 has carved her own stamps and did an awesome fish on a tag color challenge if I recall.
Old 03-22-2012, 12:24 PM
stampin stacy

I have tried it twice a very long time ago using plastic erasers. I did a postage stamp frame and an urn. They were rather fragile once done and now have cracks and/or tears in them even though I didn't use them much.

I've decided buying the "real deal" is way more fun.
Old 03-22-2012, 03:24 PM

Check out the back issues of cloth paper scissors magazine. I remember an article on carving but can't remember the issue #.
~C8>
Old 03-24-2012, 07:45 PM
Been real & been fun

I use SafetyKut because I can buy it and cut it to whatever size I want and it's very easy to carve on. Plus, I can use both the back and the front of it and get double usage that way.

To transfer an image, hold it up to a window or a lightbox and trace around the image on the backside of the page. Turn the page over and lay it over the SafetyKut. Trace the image again. Lift a corner of the page to confirm that the image is being transferred.

Negative and positive images are still something of a challenge for me. What helps me is to think in terms of a black & white negative for photos: when it goes to print, blacks become white and whites become blacks.
Old 03-31-2012, 02:41 AM

I have carved stamps off and on for years. I find it fun and relaxing to carve my own images. I like MasterCarve rubber. stamping sue
Old 04-05-2012, 04:18 AM

I hand carve stamps too. I did use the Speedball carving tool. I didn't really like it. Was not a good fit for my hand. Plus, I like to work with different blades when carving because I am quirky. I went with a nice set of woodcarving tools. I am much happier now. I was using Speedball white carving material but I don't like the consistency. I am going to change to a different material. I like to carve on erasers too.

Etsy is a really good place for hand carve stamps. You will find a lot of great ideas.
Old 10-29-2012, 09:02 AM
mizzstampsalot

If you are handcarving, definitely allow yourself some time to get used to it and start with basic designs...the more intricate stuff will come with time, but you've got to get a feel for it first!
Old 02-11-2013, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lylacfey View Post
I hand carve stamps too. I did use the Speedball carving tool. I didn't really like it. Was not a good fit for my hand. Plus, I like to work with different blades when carving because I am quirky. I went with a nice set of woodcarving tools. I am much happier now. I was using Speedball white carving material but I don't like the consistency. I am going to change to a different material. I like to carve on erasers too.
Hi Lylacfey! I did some linoleum block carving way back in my high school art class (by way back I mean in '83), and have been considering doing it again to get the stamps I really want. I've got a couple of questions for ya. What was it about the consistency of Speedball's white carving material that you didn't like? And what material did you eventually switch to?
Old 02-12-2013, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonflyPaperArts View Post
Hi Lylacfey! I did some linoleum block carving way back in my high school art class (by way back I mean in '83), and have been considering doing it again to get the stamps I really want. I've got a couple of questions for ya. What was it about the consistency of Speedball's white carving material that you didn't like? And what material did you eventually switch to?
Speedball's white material was too soft. It was like working with melting white chocolate. First I thought it was user error. My DH carved a stamp and has the same trouble. Over at Craftster several of the girls were complaining about the material too.

For just simple carvings I switched to white erasers. Pentel & Staedtler are my favorites-

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Pentel-Hi-...r-3pk/20977412

http://www.amazon.com/Staedtler-Whit.../dp/B002ZZ3PBY

Note- I do not pay that much for Staedtler erasers. I had sticker shock over at Amazon.

Bigger stamps I switched to Speedball Speedy Carve- http://www.amazon.com/Speedball-6-In...l+speedy+carve

I know that is a big sticker shock. I used a coupon at Michael's.

Dollar Tree erasers are good too. I like to use those with a cuticle trimmer for cute simple designs. Here's my favorite tutorial- http://obsessivelystitching.blogspot...er-stamps.html

Hope that helps.