Rubber Stamp Chat

Go Back   Rubber Stamp Chat > Studio > Tips and Tutorials

Tips and Tutorials Learn new stamping techniques and projects. Ask how stamping techniques are done here.

Old 10-22-2011, 07:02 AM

Default Magazine Portrait Gesso Technique

I didn't create this technique, but found the idea on-line. I thought it looked neat, and offered a way for me to learn to "draw" faces since I haven't had any formal art training. It's not hard, but I did ruin quite a few faces while I was practicing, LOL.

Supplies:
Gesso (I got a small jar at Michael's)
Gel Medium (I got a small jar at Michael's, you could probably just use modpodge or glue stick)
Magazine Pictures, the size of your project
Fine tip marker, I used Sakura Micron 3 (great for Zentangles too!)
Acrylic Paints
1" paint brush (can be a cheapie)
Other small paint brushes
Card stock, cut into ATC size

1. Cut out the magazine pictures. It's easier if the cutout is ATC size, but it works ok too if you cut right around the pic.
2. Use the gel medium (or other glue) to adhere the magazine pic to the cardstock. Let this dry completely.
3. Using the 1" brush, apply a VERY THIN coat of gesso over the entire magazine pic. This soften and blurs the picture and provides the base for applying paint to 'recreate' your portrait. Let this dry completely.
4. Using the fine tip pens, draw in the parts of the portrait that you want to keep (for example, the outline of the face and features), as well as new features you want to add (for example, hair, jewelry, clothes, background). I found this step to be the hardest, and you it's hard/impossible to coverup mistakes, so sometimes I lightly drew first in pencil. Take your time, and remember you are using recycled magazines, so who cares! You can also turn your "mistakes" into new facial features :-)
5. Use the acrylic paints to color the image. I found that less is definitely best in this step, and a nearly dry brush worked best for me.

I had just taken my son in for his high school senior pictures, so I was trying to recreate that look, but you can really go wild, and create very interesting and unusual looks with hair and eyes. For Halloween, you could change into witches or vampires, etc. Have fun!

For an example, check out the Sept 2011 Technique Swap:
http://rubberstampchat.net/showpost....&postcount=144
1st ATC in the 2nd row

Enjoy!
diane/mylemontwist

Last edited by mylemontwist; 10-22-2011 at 07:08 AM.
Old 10-22-2011, 07:40 AM
stampin stacy

TFS! This sounds very interesting. Wonder how copies off a computer would work....hmmm....

It could be a great option for some of the people in my Santa Doll swap. Do you mind if I post a link in that swap back to your thread?
Old 10-22-2011, 10:11 AM

Thanks, Diane, for posting this Tutorial. I'm on the look-out for just the right magazine pictures to give this Technique a try.
Old 10-22-2011, 12:25 PM

StampinStacy,
I think copier pics should work just fine, although I haven't tried it. Feel free to share. I would love to see other artwork that uses this technique! I am going to do more of it myself, but going for a wilder, less realistic look.
diane/mylemontwist.
Old 10-22-2011, 12:35 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylemontwist View Post
I am going to do more of it myself, but going for a wilder, less realistic look.
diane/mylemontwist.
My daring, artistic friend.