Rubber Stamp Chat

Go Back   Rubber Stamp Chat > Studio > Tips and Tutorials

Tips and Tutorials Learn new stamping techniques and projects. Ask how stamping techniques are done here.

Old 08-26-2011, 07:54 AM

Default Art Principles for Stampers

Many of us didn't study Art. We look at our work and know something is just not working. The color combinations are awful. The layout doesn't flow or look right.

Let's use this thread to share art principles that we can apply to our stamping projects. I hope those who studied art will share their knowledge with us. The rest of us -- let's share what we've discovered along the way.
Old 08-26-2011, 08:02 AM

Flow. That is the word that got me thinking. My daughter was involved in creating their high school year book. She talked to me about "flow" -- how the eye moves across the page. It has to do with how you place elements on your art, so the eye moves from one element to the other, then either back in on itself or off the page. What I think is nice is to have your eye move around the card and land on the focal point or the sentiment.

Clear as mud? I may need the art students to help me explain this better. Feel free!

Last edited by Deb Lovett; 08-26-2011 at 10:25 PM. Reason: eye
Old 08-26-2011, 10:32 AM
Been real & been fun

In a number of photography classes I've taken, one way to create 'flow' as you put it, is to make sure that your subject is looking into the picture rather than out of the picture. Here's an example of a layout I designed (and it was no small task):
Attached Images
File Type: jpg The Girl.jpg (39.4 KB, 105 views)
Old 08-26-2011, 10:35 AM
Been real & been fun

If I would have placed the girl over to the right, she would have been looking 'outside' of the picture. I could have placed her over to the left, but the knoll seemed to be the most 'correct' point of view.

With the lighthouse, I had tried it to the right, but it didn't look 'correct' to me. Perhaps it's because I mostly read from left to right, except when I go thru a mazagine then I work from the back forward although I still read from left to right.
Old 08-26-2011, 11:34 AM

Great work, AQ. Deb, I've not studied art, but know what you mean about when something just doesn't feel "right." As a rule, I'm pretty boring about arranging stuff. Lean toward symetrical. Getting better, though, so there's hope. DH has studied art, so he helps.
Old 08-26-2011, 05:02 PM

Well, I've been reading about the rule of thirds on several blogs. So while AQ's airplane girl works, I would have liked her a bit more to the left. She then would have been closer to the left hand third, taking up about two thirds, which would have been poifect for my eye!

Think of your stamped art divided by three vertically and horizontally. This leaves you with 9 boxes. A simple card may have a flower stamped near the left bottom two thirds, the sentiment may then be stamped in either the lower portion of upper right hand third or the top of the lower right hand third to offset the flower and to create the flow for the images.

I have been watching an art history TV show and the professor does a marvelous job of showing how this principle works in lots of the art masters works. He even goes in and scrapes paint off his student's art to show how with color to change the focal point to get to one of the sweet spots of the 'thirds.' 'Course most of the art is impressionistic or landscape, some of my favorite type of art!
Old 08-26-2011, 07:14 PM
Spideycindy

Location: I reside in Nice, California. Very rural but beautiful.

I was rustling around in my garage and came across some of my old sketch books that were class assignment ones...We were given a pinecone to draw with a pencil in both hands and to not look at the paper. Just the outline of it and boy was that difficult to not peek but excellent to losten one up and to cause the eye to look and work on the feel of the object and to not get caught in the perfect cone but the feel of it. Use typing paper and give it a try. You will laugh but find some parts of the sketch you really like.
Another challenge is to take out your sharpie markers and draw a self portrait only set the timer for 5 or 10 minutes and look in the mirror and take off! It hopefully will loosten you up and make you go fast to get the feel of the image (self) and less fuss. The first ones you do you will hate but something will happen as you continue and there will be parts you start to like and most likely they will be the fast part that suggested something to you and feels fresh.
Ok I was drawing today and this is more relevant to stamping as in drawing. Items closer to you are larger than items further away. I worked on a self portrait today and I am rusty but you will notice my hand is closer to you and it is larger than my face because it is closest. Ok be kind I am rusty and out of practice.
To follow.
Ok for some reason I was not able to post it here so put it in "Spidey's World album" You will see my self portrait sketch and my large hand holding up my chin...(Yes short fingers and wide palm person that I am) If you click on my name it should take you to my page and then my album is there with baby spidey on the cover.
Maybe this will work?[/IMG]

Last edited by Spideycindy; 08-26-2011 at 10:15 PM. Reason: Delete reposted the attachment
Old 08-26-2011, 09:17 PM

No formal art education here except what I learned in HS! I teach card making and scrapbooking classes locally. Always looking for more to learn myself! I recently took an month long online class from Claudine Hellmuth titled "Composition for Collage". I really enjoyed learning about Asymmetrical, Horizon, Vignette and Grid collages. All that we learned could be applied to more than collages. In the all the projects FLOW was discussed!

Last edited by Lyneen; 08-26-2011 at 10:21 PM.
Old 08-26-2011, 09:54 PM

Renee, your comment reminds me of me when our daughter lived at home. I would make a card and ask her, "do you like it this way?.... or like this?" She realized I was becoming too dependent on her so instead of answering she started asking me, "which way do you like it?"

Art probably is never wrong, but I think I started feeling more confident when I started to understand some of the principles.

Thanks, everyone for sharing your knowledge with us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee View Post
DH has studied art, so he helps.
Old 08-26-2011, 09:56 PM

I was hoping someone would talk about the rule of thirds. Thanks, Karen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by piecesandpom View Post
Well, I've been reading about the rule of thirds on several blogs.