Rubberstampchat

Go Back   Rubberstampchat > Studio > Tips and Tutorials

Tips and Tutorials Learn new stamping techniques and projects. Ask how stamping techniques are done here. Not for tutorials that include self promotion or links to off site tutorials.

Old 05-11-2011, 07:57 PM

Default Mastering Multiple Copies of a Card

Having recently finished 60 baby shower and 40 graduation party invitations I thought I'd share some of the techniques to make this less tedious and to avoid tendinitis, etc.

1. Do steps in bunches of 8 or 10. For instance, I cut 10 pieces of cardstock to the correct size, then switched to using the Big Shot for 10 items, then back to cutting 10 pieces of cardstock. I used 2 dies and then embossed the die cuts for the 40 invites - that is 160 cranks of the Big Shot!
2. Use a long acrylic block with a grid as a guide for repeat impressions of one stamp going up or across as a border. This also helped me stamp the sentiment centered on the card.
3. If your hands cramp coloring or doing fine work, switch off with cutting that cardstock or some other less intense work. I switched off coloring with cutting cardstock on my guillotine cutter, attaching ribbon to a background piece, etc.
4. I also had to do switch off punching and no punching as I started cramping or just plain not using the punch correctly. I found I had better success punching with my left hand, not my right, with my border punch!
5. Group items as card, background layers, embellishments in groups of 8 or 10 and then assemble. For me it was rewarding to get 8 or 10 finished and then tackle the next group instead of putting on the background layers on all 60 cards, then the embellishments. This also helps me keep the fur from our pets versus adhesive to a minimum! Pieces still loves to jump up on my table.
6. Give yourself rewards when appropriate. I did 10 plus 10 of the layered embossed grad kitty which needed to be adjusted correctly in the die before I cut it. I rewarded myself with a cup of coffee when I was at the halfway point as I needed more steam to get through the next 20!
7. Always make 4 - 5 more background layers, embellishments than you will need. This will take care of any of those ugh! ink pad slipped, coloring looks awful in this one or Pieces thinks a bow is a mouse type of accidents.

Hope these tips help anyone else who needs to mass produce cards.
Old 05-12-2011, 05:18 AM

yes..this is how most of us do our ATC'S.. the only thing i haven't tried that you do is punching with my left hand instead of my crippled right hand..thanks for saying..i will try that next time..that would help me alot..i just done 35 baby shower invites for a friend..but i had her to crank my big shot..lol..lol..after all..they were for her and she was much younger..no crippled hands..and it worked out better for me..they turned out beautiful..this is a great way to do mutiples..i love this way to do many of one kind..its so much easier than doing one at a time..its less time comsumming..and like you said..you get to reap all the wonderful pieces of art in a bunch instead of one at a time
Old 05-12-2011, 09:28 AM
Onward and upward!

Location: It's hard to live in the smoke when you've lived in the fire!

A friend of mine has been very stuck on how to make multiple cards, so I really appreciate you posting this Karen.

Where you are, there you are.
Old 05-12-2011, 11:34 AM

yes karen..i too am glad you posted this..it will so help a lot of artist do lots of a design..it will save them lots of time..great post..i am so gonna try punching with my left hand..hey AQ..have you tried punching with your left hand ?? i never have..but will definetly try it next time
Old 05-12-2011, 12:34 PM
Onward and upward!

Quote:
Originally Posted by inkkyjo View Post
yes karen..i too am glad you posted this..it will so help a lot of artist do lots of a design..it will save them lots of time..great post..i am so gonna try punching with my left hand..hey AQ..have you tried punching with your left hand ?? i never have..but will definetly try it next time
That I have not tried, but I don't use my hand punches that often and may eventually purge them. I do like them for making doily looking paper.

Most of my punches are the lever ones.

Old 05-12-2011, 04:11 PM

I am using this approach for a flower element on my butterfly ATC's. They are a bit fiddly and if I did certain bits all at once, I'd go nuts for sure,
Old 05-12-2011, 04:34 PM
Inky the Muse

Yep, breaking it down into managable chunks is definetely the way to go when you have 10+ of anything to make. I'm going to be working on my SU! con swaps in June & will have to production line it to get them done in time. I'll have 40+ punch cards & 50-125 glittered, embossed acetate cards to get done by July 11th. If I didn't break it down into smaller chunks I'd go nuts or lame (my hands) for sure.
Old 05-12-2011, 07:08 PM
Onward and upward!

con swaps? Is that where you con someone into swapping? Oh Inky!

Old 05-12-2011, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inky Whiskers View Post
Yep, breaking it down into managable chunks is definetely the way to go when you have 10+ of anything to make. I'm going to be working on my SU! con swaps in June & will have to production line it to get them done in time. I'll have 40+ punch cards & 50-125 glittered, embossed acetate cards to get done by July 11th. If I didn't break it down into smaller chunks I'd go nuts or lame (my hands) for sure.
ohhh my gosh inky..is any of your friends helping you..or do you have to do it all alone..gosh..even if you had help it would still be quite alot
Old 05-13-2011, 02:02 AM
Inky the Muse

My SU! demo friends have their own Stampin' Up! Convention swaps to make! I sign up for these swaps & in return I'll get some fantastic ideas I can C.A.S.E for future stamp camps or post on the idea board. The best part of going to the demo only SU!con? Spending nearly a week with thousands of people who are as crazy about stamping as me & my friends are!!! We get to learn all kinds of nifty new things to inspire our creativity & build our businesses. We get to do M&Ts & try out new products, plus convention goers often get sneak peeks about new porducts & policies before the rest of the SU! family is informed. It's the most fun I've ever had on 4 hours (or less) sleep a night for a week!