Rubber Stamp Chat

Go Back   Rubber Stamp Chat > Studio > Tips and Tutorials

Tips and Tutorials Learn new stamping techniques and projects. Ask how stamping techniques are done here.

Old 07-13-2007, 12:49 PM

Question bows

somewhere I saw a bow that was tied by passing ribbon thru the punch that makes two vertical slits - she put two side by side, I know this is clear as mud, but has anyone seen this or know how to do it - I cant find where I originally saw it.
Old 07-13-2007, 03:34 PM
Inky the Muse

Default No tie bow

I don't know if the "no tie bow" is what you're looking for, but it uses 2 slots or holes.

1) Punch 2 rectangle or 1/8" circles about 1/4" to 3/8" apart where you want your "bow" to be. (the spacing is arbitrary, but holes too far apart can leave you with the ribbon drooping) Either hand held or table (the ones with a button or lever) punches will work & some companies make punches that do both holes/slots at once.

2) Cut a piece of ribbon about 6" long and taper one end to a point.

3) Put the point of the tapered end thru' the front of the card stock in the hole on the left and pull thru' leaving about 2" of tail.

4) Put the point of the ribbon up thru' the right side hole, bringing the ribbon back to the front.

5) (At this point you could just tie a regular bow or knot, but read on...)
Take hold of the ribbon section in the left hole and gently pull down from both the front & the back of the card stock to make some room in the hole.

6) Put the pointed end thru' the left hole again from front to back. Pull the ribbon all the way thru' until it is gently snugged up to the front of the card stock. Hold onto the the tail piece to keep it from getting pulled thru' to the back.

7) Take hold of the ribbon loop that goes thru' the right hole and gently pull down to make room.

8) Put the pointed end thru' the right hole going from back to front. Pull all the ribbon thru' until the loop lies flat against the back of the card stock.

9) Trim the ends. Flat, pointed, dovetail, angled, whatever you'd like.

Tips:
Avoid twisting the ribbon as you pull it thru' the holes. Your "bow" will look better & lie flat w/o twists.
Always add about an inch more to the ribbon length when cutting than you need, as the pointed end may fray a bit and you'll want to be able to trim the ends.
Tweezers can be helpful for pulling the point thru' the holes.
If the ribbon just won't go thru' the holes a second time, you may need to use a slightly larger punch or a narrower ribbon.
To put the bow "anywhere" use an eyelet hole punch (w/hammer & mat) to make your 2 holes.

HTH
Old 07-17-2007, 06:04 PM

Smile yup

That's it, thanks....!!!! I'm really bow challenged, and this is a nice effect!
Old 07-17-2007, 06:40 PM
Inky the Muse

You are most welcome!

This "bow" also lies flat for mailing and doesn't come un-done.