Rubberstampchat

Go Back   Rubberstampchat > Studio > Shopping Guide

Shopping Guide Share great stamping finds here. Not for personal advertisements or promoting by Design Teams.

Old 02-10-2011, 02:15 PM

Default Crafting book bargains

We had a used books/publisher's close out book store grand open today so went to check it out. All books are half off or more and to celebrate the opening I got some discount coupons that I of course had to use. Got 2 books at an additional 40% off "

Collage Discovery Workshop by Claudine Hellmuth came to $6.89
and
Basic Colored Pencil by Bet Borgeson (not more going to the library for this one ) for $5.39

That's just over $12 bucks for both books, woo hoo!!!

Off to make a cup of apple spice flavored tea and then cuddle up in a chair to peruse my "finds".
Old 02-10-2011, 07:27 PM

Wow, good score, Stacy!
Old 02-11-2011, 05:33 AM

Just in the intro alone I learned a few things about pencil tech. I have a small list of things I need to get such as fixative, pencil holders, etc. I actually do have a few fav pencils colors that are quite small and have looked at the holders. The pencils are ones my mom had brought home from work when I was a teen and I can't get anymore. They are good quality ones she aquired them from draftsmen and I want to use them until they are pretty much are no more.

The discovery book has a lot of stuff I have seen online but it is a great basics book and it will the nice to have it all in one place. Much easier to grab that book and flip to the page needed than to surf the net trying to remember where, and then go back to my stamp room and try to remember what I just saw/read.

I have 2 more coupons that are good Sun only, me thinks I will be ditching DS & DH for a bit after church.

Now if "life" will just get out of the way so the muse can play
Old 02-11-2011, 03:23 PM

Congratulations on your great finds, Stacy. I LOVE books, esp. those that help me learn new techniques. So far, I haven't been able to find any pencil holders and some of Prismas are getting short. Maybe when spring arrives and I'm ready to crawl out from under my afghan, I'll get out and about more to look for stuff.
Old 02-12-2011, 09:06 AM

I saw some at M's at one time but have not look in quite some time. If I find them at a box store I'll try to remember to let ya know so you can check out your local as well. My other idea was to go to an actual art store but that would probably be more expensive.

Before anyone says anything, I realize there are a zillion online sources but I'm more of a in person purchaser, especially when buying something for the first time. Guess it's a good thing I live in a large metro area.
Old 02-12-2011, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampin stacy View Post
I saw some at M's at one time but have not look in quite some time. If I find them at a box store I'll try to remember to let ya know so you can check out your local as well. My other idea was to go to an actual art store but that would probably be more expensive.

Before anyone says anything, I realize there are a zillion online sources but I'm more of a in person purchaser, especially when buying something for the first time. Guess it's a good thing I live in a large metro area.
I've found some good book buys at our COSTCO occasionally; Michael's not so much. And I also prefer to hold the book in my hand, look through it and see if I think I really want it. Or feel the quality of the fabric, or the heft of the paper, etc.
Old 02-14-2011, 05:58 AM

Picked up 2 more great books yesterday with 50% off coupons, remember books are already 50% off.

$3.99 Colored Pencil Solution Book, Tips & Techniques for winning results by Janie Gildow & Barbara Benedetti Newton - More advance than the other one which is why I'm hoping it will be a great companion book. Just as the title states it is more technique and effect driven. Especially looking forward to the section on creating clear water effects such as a glass/vase of flowers. It also has a color wheel exercise in it, which the other one didn't.

$6.24 Watercolor Pencil Magic by Cathy Johnson - I am in love with this one so far. Great basic info and the lessons look easy enough to follow and do also. Haven't actually gotten that far yet but I think it will be easy to do when I'm ready.

BTW, I found this water color website when I did a google, look like a good reference:
http://www.watercolorpainting.com/wa...-tutorials.htm

Last edited by stampin stacy; 02-15-2011 at 05:34 AM.
Old 02-14-2011, 06:02 AM

Ingrid, glad to know I'm not the only one these days who still prefers to purchase in person.

I noticed last week that our Costco's book section had shrunk considerable and they have never had scrapbooking stuff like I've heard some of the other do occasionally. Still managed to spend mucho $$$ on food though.
Old 02-14-2011, 01:55 PM

Our Costco used to have some scrapbooking stuff but I haven't seen any in at least a year. With just two of us and eating out a lot, we don't buy much food there these days, just paper products and other non-perishables.
Old 02-14-2011, 04:44 PM

We are also just two who eat out a bit. We do have some Costco favorites. The DH says they have the best tomatoes (and I don't care for raw tomatoes). We also like the sliced cheese, chicken soup and chicken salad. We buy Cashews and bean salad. All of these we find will last well without spoiling for us. The tomatoes go into a green bag.