Rubber Stamp Chat

Go Back   Rubber Stamp Chat > Studio > Tips and Tutorials

Tips and Tutorials Learn new stamping techniques and projects. Ask how stamping techniques are done here.

Old 11-08-2010, 10:33 AM
andrebcox

Question Cleaning Stamps!

Hello Stampers!

I just noticed something that might interest stampers. I'm testing some inks right now and I have been cleaning the stamps using baby wipes.

I've been stamping and then studying the line quality using a jeweler's loupe. I kept noticing little hairs adding extra artifacts to the stamped image. I was wondering where they were coming from. I thought they were coming from the inkpad - but have discovered that they are coming from the baby wipes. Perhaps others have discovered this and written about it in the past. I have never seen anyone mention it before. I think it's something stampers should be aware of.

Additionally, I noticed that a paper towel covers the stamp with fibers too. Another source of stray fibers is the stamp scrubber. Then I discovered that with a new stamp scrubber you should wash it and scrub it initially when you first take it out of the package to get rid of any loose fibers left over from cutting and manufacturing of the scrubber. I raked a comb through mine along with holding it upside down and rubbing my fingers over it until no more fibers fell out. You will still get some fibers - it's unavoidable, but doing this pre-cleaning of the scrubber really helps.

WoodwareUSA will be coming out with a new Scrub & Dry scrubber duo in January 2011 and it will recommend cleaning the scrubber before use right on the label.

And then the only thing that really cleaned all the fibers off was running the stamp under the faucet. But then if I dried it with a paper towel it put more fibers back on. The fibers are only visible with a magnifying glass or loupe but when they get inked they print extra lines around your image. So you should use a scrubber with cleaner fluid to get the ink off and then wash off any stray fibers in the sink. Someone else may come up with a better solution and please post it here if you do.

Hope that helps everyone!

Best regards,

Andre Cox
President
WoodwareUSA.com
Old 11-08-2010, 11:01 AM
Been real & been fun

Haven't really found that to be an issue. There are times that I will wipe my stamps off with an old hand towel because they may still be wet from my Stamp 'n Scrub. Many times when I don't get a clear enough image, I will just color them in with an appropriate color of Prismacolor pencil. Plus, I used just a drop of dish soap in a spray bottle to spray the Scrub side with and when I use Stazon, I have Stazon cleaner. So it truly has never been an issue.
Old 11-08-2010, 11:29 AM

I've not had issues with this since I use the BW as a quick clean up to get most of ink off. I then clean them in the sink with baby shampoo & a baby toothbrush, letting them air dry. Since I have the stamps under the water only a short time it hasn't impacted the mounting cushion. I do know if you get the mounting cushion too wet it can have problems. HTH
~C8>
Old 11-08-2010, 05:04 PM
StamPoor

Well, I HAVE had the problem... and I was blaming the cat! Thanks for letting us know about the various sources that create those teeny fibers. I plan to make some changes in my stamp cleaning routine.
Old 11-08-2010, 05:23 PM

I might suggest that if this bothers you, give up the baby wipes. Stamp off most of the ink residue on scrap paper then clean the stamp using an old, worn (therefore not very linty) wash cloth or hand towel. Then you won"t be getting the wood or cushion wet. What little moisture is left can air dry.

For more difficult cleaning jobs I use diluted simple green on the old rag or with a toothbrush, then wipe it off on a water dampened section.
Old 11-08-2010, 05:25 PM

PS: The dirty cloth can be rinsed out under the faucet at the end of your work session and hung to dry or thrown into your washer (after rinsing) with other towels or cleaning rags.
Old 11-08-2010, 06:03 PM

i have for many years used baby wipes and most of the time paper towels with windex sprayed on them first...after all these years..my stamps are like new..but i will have to say, if you use really cheap paper towels and baby wipes , they will tell , they do leave more fibers....but all you have to do is wipe them with a wet cloth and it takes care of that..but i would rather use great paper towels..i love reading everyones responses...we are all different..thats what makes the world go round..huhhh..but it is so informative..thanks all
Old 11-08-2010, 06:10 PM

ohh another thought..you must have been using pigment or solvent inks...cause all dye inks run right off with water or windex..pigment and solvents work better with solvent cleaners..they come in small 2 oz bottles. one of my favorite ones is called the
STAZON all purpose cleaner..one bottle will last a very long time..i use it so much..its made for all kinds of inks like dye ink and including solvents and pigments
i never get duplicate lines on my stamped art..so i dont know what you did there, unless somehow you moved the stamp without noticing it..i use all kinds of stamps, wooden, rubber, poly...no problems with any of them..sounds like movement..but dont know
Old 11-08-2010, 06:26 PM
I love rving...

I use a paint pad that I got at the hardware store to scrub the ink off my stamps.

It's the fuzzy refill pad that you attach to the plastic painting pads that you run along the wall to paint with. Rinse it out before you use it the first time and after that it works fine. No fibers attach to the stamps. I think I paid $2 for it. I also use old worn wash clothes. They work great too.
Old 11-08-2010, 10:15 PM
sweetpea

Once the stamps are dry, you could try removing lint from them with sticky tape (as we call it in Aus). It works wonders before using a stamp.