Rubber Stamp Chat

Go Back   Rubber Stamp Chat > Studio > Stamp Talk

Stamp Talk Discuss everything rubber stamp and paper crafts related.

Old 09-17-2010, 09:35 PM

I started out using clipart cause I make bulletins,newsletters, ect for pre school, I found a site that sold the most darling clipart and still does and I use it a lot.
I'm sort of new into stamping, it seems like a lot more work and definitely more expensive . I'm still learning to do some different techniques, slowly I see myself getting a little better.
I still use a lot of clip art on my cards cause this particular site sells beautiful work.
Basically I'm addicted to making cards!
Old 09-17-2010, 10:14 PM
Been real & been fun

I love learning about everyone! This is SO cool! Thank you so much for sharing your stories and hopefully there's more to come!
Old 09-18-2010, 09:05 AM
Starving Artistamps

I got into stamping from being a scrapbooker. About 13 years ago I bought the todays special value on QVC, it was a kit with stickers, die cuts, cardstock and spiral scrapbooks. There wasn't even a Michael's anywhere near my house. I didn't even know Michaels even existed! The best we had was a fabric store called Fabric Bonanza which had a tiny selection of scrapbooking supplies. From there I went on to the internet and there were a few mail order places and AOL had a scrapbooking board. I started looking for local people to talk scrapbooking with and met a girl who lived a few towns over. She was the first person I ever met from online. She told me about Michaels which turned out to be several towns away. Today she is my best and most trusted friend. We also met several other girls from around Long Island. One of the people we got together with from the AOL board was a girl named Lisa. Not soon after Lisa signed up to be an SU demonstrator. She started me into stamping. She told me about stamp conventions. We went to Pennsaulken, NJ where I bought my first unmounted stamps from Steve at Meer Image.

Since I got into stamping my scrapbooking hobby has been put on hold. I do want to go back to it, but stamping is my passion. I found that scrapbooking was just too much commitment. Too much pressure to make something fabulous to save for all time. Also scrapbooking back then was not the way it is now. I would love to go back and re-do most of the pages I did now that the supplies and my skills are so much better.

At one point Lisa was moving out of state and she suggested I become an SU demonstrator. I was with SU for three years but found I was spending a lot more money than I was making as a demonstrator. At the same time I was hobby breeding Chinchillas, weird but true. I wanted chinchilla stamps and couldn't find any. I decided to design my own. I left SU and started my own company which grew from Chinchillas into what it is today. We still sell several of those original chinchilla stamps. Isn't it funny how life turns out. LOL
Old 09-18-2010, 09:06 AM
Starving Artistamps

What's the site? You have me curious now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elayne View Post
I started out using clipart cause I make bulletins,newsletters, ect for pre school, I found a site that sold the most darling clipart and still does and I use it a lot.
I'm sort of new into stamping, it seems like a lot more work and definitely more expensive . I'm still learning to do some different techniques, slowly I see myself getting a little better.
I still use a lot of clip art on my cards cause this particular site sells beautiful work.
Basically I'm addicted to making cards!
Old 09-18-2010, 09:16 AM
StamPoor

What a neat story, Tracey B. How often we start down one path only to end up someplace we never imagined. Thanks for sharing the story of your stamping journey... so far.
Old 09-18-2010, 09:21 AM
Been real & been fun

A friend of mine has done at least 9 scrapbooks that are 12 x 12. She has all the embellishments such as little clothes pins. I always felt as if I was competing with her. I've never gotten into the scrapbook scene, although I have tried. Another friend of mine used to be a demonstrator for Creative Memories. But, like you said Tracy, it takes orbs of commitment to create that awesome album. So, give me stamping any day! The photos are all safely tucked away!
Old 09-18-2010, 11:24 PM
Spideycindy

Location: I reside in Nice, California. Very rural but beautiful.

For some kids growing up if they did not play sports they could not tolerate school. Well I was one of those kids if I did not have some creative art type class going on I could not tolerate school well...My elementary school teachers recognized it and I always knew I HAD to have something going on. As for Stamping....the closest was fabric silk screening and printing on fabric with anything I could get my hands on. Mixing dyes etc in college was very carcinogenic so glad that is not the case with rubber stamping. I have explored most every kind of creative art venue except air brushing ( I doubt blow pens count, lol) sculpting/torching/welding. Oh and some types of pottery work I have not tried. Stamping is easier studio wise and fast to get playing given my busy family/work life.
I purchased my first stamp in the 1970's I believe but in college purchased kiddies plastic alphabets and stamped letters on my fabric projects and also some wooden block printing.
It was not until a neighbor had me over to a stamping up party that I got really going as I always make my own cards/xmas tags and this seemed so much easier than hand drawing each one or photocopy my orig art work and going from there. I never looked back once with regret in my journey and exposure to fun explorations!
I was probably considered an art mutt and not a classic artist as a UCD Professor so rudly told me once. They- considered multi discipline artists as "crafts persons" and not truly artists....The next day I changed my major from Art to Design and that too was a good thing!~
Old 09-18-2010, 11:32 PM
Been real & been fun

Your story brings back more memories - art was my outlet in school and is also my outlet now. I used to really be into photography and was blessed to be able to go thru 18 weeks of photography training courtesy of the army. Just today I was telling DH about how I had carved an image into a linoleum block and how I had to roll out the blob of ink on a piece of glass before I could apply it to the carved block. Has anyone else done that?
Old 09-19-2010, 07:21 AM

Yes, I remember doing just that African Queen for my 'free' period art class senior year of high school; seemed an awfully tedious process for my feeble attempt.

One of my mom's friends was an art major and always sent us handmade Christmas cards. A particular favorite was one of the White Rabbit that mom placed inside the cabinet that held our everyday glassware. Once I got into stamping I felt like I could be an artist, too! I 'gift' mom with my stamped cards every Christmas and through the years can't wait to hear what that friend (now her daughter) thinks of 'mom's' Christmas card.
Old 09-19-2010, 07:24 AM
Been real & been fun

Pieces - do you remember why we had to roll the ink out on the glass before applying it to our carved stamp? Was it because of viscosity?