Rubber Stamp Chat

Go Back   Rubber Stamp Chat > Studio > Stamp Talk

Stamp Talk Discuss everything rubber stamp and paper crafts related.

Old 09-16-2010, 04:39 PM
Been real & been fun

Default How did you first get involved with Rubberstamping?

Hi. My name is Roberta aka TheAfricanQueen and I first became acquainted with the art of rubberstamping from a friend of mine. She had been stamping since the '70s and I was enthralled with her artwork. She taught me about mounting dies and indexing. Later, for a short period of time, she became a Stampin' Up demonstrator. She had, and still does have, a plethora of stamps, inks, paper and all sorts of embellishments. I never thought I would ever have so much, so I resorted to doing what I could with what little I had (all of which fit into a shoe box).

Now, I go into my craft room and gaze with wonderment at all the tools I have acquired: Prismacolor pencils, decorative edge scissors, handheld paper punches, lever punches, mounted stamps, cling stamps, clear stamps, paper...it's just simply amazing!

Who's next?

Last edited by TheAfricanQueen; 09-16-2010 at 05:47 PM.
Old 09-16-2010, 05:44 PM
StamPoor

Hi, I'm Ingrid aka StamPoor. I used to make cards on my computer using programs designed for that. Through an online group, I met a gal who was also a stamper and gave me a demonstration. My famous last words were something like "I don't need another hobby, especially one that's going to cost me money." Then I saw a Laurel Burch art stamp and thought, "I'll just get this one stamp." That was over 14 years and a bunch of stuff and $$$ ago. But I love stamping way more than computer generate art, so I'm a happy camper... except that I'm running out of room.
Old 09-16-2010, 05:49 PM
Been real & been fun

Oh, how I know that feeling! I keep rearranging my craft room, but it doesn't seem to help. I've gotten rid of some things non stamp related, but that hasn't helped either! What to do...
Old 09-16-2010, 06:14 PM
One Eye Wonder

I loved stamping as a kid (will not reveal the year!) and then two years ago I decided to make my daughter's b-day invites. I stumbled into the local stamp store and was freaked out by all the options. I needed to learn about the techniques and so I found RSC online and the rest is history. BTW - My kids can ink my stamps with the best.
Old 09-16-2010, 06:53 PM
Been real & been fun

That's cool that your kids stamp too! Got to keep this art alive!
Old 09-17-2010, 07:18 AM
stampin stacy

Quote:
For me it would depend on how you look at it.

Sometime in the early 80's I was on an annual weekend family reunion trip when we went decided to go to Branson Mo. for the day. We were at a crafts mall called Engler's (sp?) and there was a stamp store there and the lady was making cards with embossing powders. I was fascinated and kept thinking what I saw all the next year. When everybody decided to stop in Branson again the next year I was so excited . My first purchase was a lighthouse from PSX at that store.

Now speed ahead to 1990, my mom has passed away and my sister and I are going through her effects. Up in the attic in the bottom of a trunk we find a set of Hanna Barbera character stamps. They were mine and I vaguely remember using them when I was very young. I wanted to stamp on everything, probably why they got packed away.

So I guess you could say I became addicted as a youngster, was forced into "rehab" and them fell off the wagon again as a adult.
I copied this from another post that was started in the very early days of RSC. There are 2 posts related to this subject that you might find interesting to read in them. So many of the original members have moved on but their stories are still fun to read. Both threads are in this same forum but at the very beginning pages.

Sadly the mall I mentioned closed a few years ago, there was a stamp store but I'm not sure it was the same one - they moved down the street to a new location or so I heard.
Old 09-17-2010, 08:34 AM

I've always liked sending cards. Starting getting them from Current, Inc., as they were cheaper than card stores. A long time ago, I got a stamp that said "Happy Birthday" and a rainbow ink pad. Used that on the back of the envelopes. Then was invited to a SU party. Was bitten by the stamping bug, and it's taken over my crafting life, not to mention much of the house! DH jokes that my hobby/obsession keeps me outta the bars. (Still use that first stamp. Doesn't have a company name on it.)
Old 09-17-2010, 08:52 AM
Been real & been fun

It is so sad when a stamp store closes. I know of one stamp store in Seattle that 'lost' their lease because the PM upped it so much they couldn't afford to stay there. There are still a few in the area, thankfully enough! BTW, Stampin Stacy, where are those other threads located?

Yes, Renee, there are far worse things than stamping!
Old 09-17-2010, 10:44 AM
StamPoor

Fortunately for me, my husband has his own obsessive hobby so he cannot legitimately complain about my expenditures or usage of space since his far exceeds mine in both ways.

Over the years that I've been stamping, the original person who lured me into the hobby and sold me my first stamps has moved on to other things and several stores in our area have closed. There is just one left and I love it, but I'm worried that it may have to move further out or... close because of the area Metrorail project.
Old 09-17-2010, 04:24 PM
stampin stacy

Cannot believe how long this place has been my stamping home now, wow! Here they are:

http://rubberstampchat.net/showthread.php?t=313

http://rubberstampchat.net/showthread.php?t=175