Rubber Stamp Chat

Go Back   Rubber Stamp Chat > Studio > Tips and Tutorials

Tips and Tutorials Learn new stamping techniques and projects. Ask how stamping techniques are done here.

Old 06-02-2014, 08:13 PM
Sherrie Holmes

Woo-hoo! Thanks, UpsideDown for all your great tips! I printed them out for future reference. Like you, I use clear embossing powder probably 95% of the time. I, too, give my cards a good tap or two with the side of a pencil on the edge of the card. Though I enjoy my cat's company when I'm card making, I don't have a problem with cat hair or dander getting into my stamping supplies or finished cards.

What I REALLY find annoying are those tiny little bits of stuff (thread? fluff?) that seem to get mixed into the EP, and trying to remove them before using the heat gun is an exercise in patience. I have a very fine artist's brush that has about 5-6 hairs that taper to a fine point, and if I dampen the brush slightly, I can use the point to pick off the errant bits of fluff before embossing. I've also heard that you can use a piece of dry spaghetti. You moisten the end of the spaghetti and then you can pick up stuff with the tacky end.
Old 06-02-2014, 08:18 PM
Sherrie Holmes

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAfricanQueen View Post
It seems to me that someone along my stamping travels told me to keep my hands washed because the oils from them can cause embossing powder to stick in unwanted places.
Very good advice. In fact, when I designed my craft room, I installed a small sink so that I could keep my hands clean without having to get up and tromp down the hall a dozen times an hour to wash off glue, ink, EP, etc. Best thing I ever did! ~Sherrie
Old 06-02-2014, 08:26 PM
Sherrie Holmes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spideycindy View Post
Some swear by rubbing anti cling dryer sheets over the cardstock first, others make their own embossing buddy by using a knit sock and tossing in some cornstarch or talc powder.
I found the dryer sheets less effective than my homemade embossing buddy. The first EB I made, I used a knit sock, which was a mistake, because the weave is just loose enough that a lot of powder sifts through. The tighter weave of a man's generic white handkerchief works really well for this purpose. ~Sherrie
Old 06-02-2014, 08:35 PM
Sherrie Holmes

Thank you, everyone, for your gracious and helpful replies. In case you haven't read this thread lately, I stated I wold let everyone know how my homemade embossing buddy turned out. I used a plain white man's handkerchief, folded in quarters. I put a heaping spoonful of talcum powder in the middle of the handkerchief, followed by another heaping spoonful of baking soda. I mixed them together, then brought the 4 corners of the hanky together and rubber-banded them tightly. The extra material above the rubber band makes a nifty "handle." So if anyone wants to make their own embossing buddy, you might give this a try. It works very for me. Thanks again for all your help/suggestions. ~Sherrie
Old 06-02-2014, 08:37 PM
Sherrie Holmes

Sorry for the typos in my earlier message. That's what I get for rushing! ~Sherrie
Old 08-17-2014, 06:34 PM

Will my embossing buddy clean up my studio? I really need one of those.