Rubber Stamp Chat

Go Back   Rubber Stamp Chat > Studio > Tips and Tutorials

Tips and Tutorials Learn new stamping techniques and projects. Ask how stamping techniques are done here.

Old 03-24-2012, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybee View Post
Can anyone suggest a good way of stopping mists like glimmer mists from clogging up - I have one or two that will not spray at all despite remove the spray nozzle and running it through with hot water.
A few tips:
1. Clean out the nozzle between uses, the glimmer part settles & can clog the nozzles. I usually do either of 2 methods, I remove the cap/nozzle & 'spray' it back into the bottle OR have a few sheets of paper laid out & spray it until it no longer sprays. Makes lovely backgrounds & fun to stamp over for quickie cards & backgrounds.
2. Before you use the sprays you want to mix the glimmer part into the liquid part. DON'T shake it! Hold it at the top & wave it side to side. Don't use an up down motion because this causes 'lumps' of glimmer & air to get up the fill tube & can make the spray inconsistent. By using the side to side motion it evens out the glimmer.
3. A LSS (local stamp store) owner is pals with the owner of GM & told me that if you soak the spray nozzle in hot H2O with a few drops of ammonia, it 'softens' the glimmer a bit & makes it easier to get moving again.
There was one batch of sprayers that GM used ages ago that were faulty & the best I can suggest is get new sprayer bottles, first testing them with a bit of H2O to make sure they spray right, then transfer the tops to the old GM bottles OR just pour the GM into the new sprayers. HTH
~C8>
Old 03-24-2012, 10:29 PM

The only idea I come up with is to flush out your nozzle. Either turn the bottle upside down and spray (like with aerosol cans), or remove the nozzle and place it in a cup of water and spray it. I don't take the time to do this myself and have several clogged bottles. You can pour the liquids into a new bottle -- which I will need to do myself.
Old 03-25-2012, 12:20 AM

Alsmouse - thank you so much for your detailed reply. I will certainly try those ideas
Old 03-25-2012, 07:16 AM
Bonnie/raduse

alsmouse, thanks for giving the ideas. I sure learned something new - like a dummy I was shaking my bottles. Duh! No wonder they were clogging on me.
Old 03-25-2012, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie/raduse View Post
alsmouse, thanks for giving the ideas. I sure learned something new - like a dummy I was shaking my bottles. Duh! No wonder they were clogging on me.
I was shaking them too, did I ever feel like a dummy when she told me that. Why hadn't the spray companies given us that info? If they had I would have been using many more sprays, instead I just got frustrated with the product. Live & learn
~C8>