Rubber Stamp Chat

Go Back   Rubber Stamp Chat > Studio > Tips and Tutorials

Tips and Tutorials Learn new stamping techniques and projects. Ask how stamping techniques are done here.

Old 12-19-2012, 03:47 PM

Ooh, faux vellum! I like that idea. Your projects all look so good.

I used some Vaseline with acrylic paint once and came up with a few 'peeled paint' ATCs. Here's my tutorial on that:

http://www.papercraftcentral.com/peeling-paint.html
Old 12-20-2012, 09:59 AM
Craft Curmududgeon

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susanlhl View Post
Ooh, faux vellum! I like that idea. Your projects all look so good.

I used some Vaseline with acrylic paint once and came up with a few 'peeled paint' ATCs. Here's my tutorial on that:

http://www.papercraftcentral.com/peeling-paint.html
I like the look, Susan, but you kind of lost me. You say "avoid painting on the vaseline". So how do you 'peel' off additional layers of paint? Thanks!

And... Your post reminded me of the period when I did several variations of using craft paint 'leftovers'.

Like most craft painters, I would put varying amounts of (acrylic) paints on my pallete paper (plastic coated freezer paper is cheaper than commercial paper & works fine). Once I was done with the painting I always had dried paint left on the pallete paper. Being a cheapskate I often found I could peel off the dried paint & use the pallete paper again. I also noticed that some of the dried paint peeled like a skin

Jumping ahead a few years & I bought my 1st StazOn inkpad. I stamped on some dried paint & peeled it off the paper. Then I treated the paint like paper & applied it to projects. Even found I could (sometimes) use punches on the dried paint before peeling it from the paper.

And the 'vaseline connection'? If I smear a thin amount of it on a piece of glass & then cover with paint, allow the paint to dry, & peel, I can make deliberate shapes.
Old 12-20-2012, 03:05 PM

Oooh, great ideas, Daniel.

As for the 'avoid painting on the Vaseline' instruction, I wanted some of the second layer of paint to stick to the first. When I painted on the Vaseline, I found the paint got too 'muddied' for my desired look so I kind of painted on the edges of the Vaseline rather than in the middle of the thickest smears. Does that make more sense? I should add that to the instructions if it does....thank you for the feedback by the way