Rubber Stamp Chat

Go Back   Rubber Stamp Chat > Studio > Stamp Search

Stamp Search Need help finding a particular image?

Old 02-19-2010, 04:04 PM
Creative Arts Fanatic

Default Anyone know who made these 2 gnome/troll/wizard stamps?

Hey guys - I recently purchased these 2 unmarked stamps and would love to know what stamp company made them. So if either of these look familiar to anyone please let me know who you think made them.

There is no markings on the wood blocks. My guess is these were originally purchased as unmounted stamps and then mounted by some previous owner.

Grins and giggles,
Evelyn

Update 10-22-2010: I just purchased a smaller version of the Troll with crystal ball and the smaller stamp is marked VIP 1994 - so that mystery is finally solved!!! I'm still trying to figure out who made the other Bunny and Troll stamps but will post an update if I ever find out. - Thanks all.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2 odd stamps.jpg (40.7 KB, 117 views)

See more of my work at www.flickr.com/photos/ekduncan
or come visit my blog at http://www.ekduncan.blogspot.com

Last edited by ekduncan; 10-22-2010 at 12:46 PM. Reason: update on info
Old 02-19-2010, 07:15 PM

Allow me to comment on this if you would.................

I love these stamps...........how wonderful of you to own them, especially the one on the left. For some reason the first thought came to me to use this for Christmas........then the better idea fell into my brain! have that image sitting in a vast amount of footballs with the caption" Did the Vikings win?" Too funny..............
Now moving on to your FLICKR page............could I just be a fly on the wall and watch you make these awesome pieces. I loved the dominoe stuff, brilliant Hands of Fate card. How do you do the sharpie pen thing? The colors look pale, sharpies are rather on the "bright" side I think. When can I sign up for classes? LOL
I will watch this post for sure!
Othar
Old 02-20-2010, 07:17 AM
Creative Arts Fanatic

Hi Othar - I love the old funky stamps that can be found on ebay. I can't resist buying them when they are as fun looking as these two; but sometime like like with these, I don't have a clue who made them and that drives me batty. My guess is the companies that made these are long out of business but I would truly love to know who the makers were so I can correctly catalog them into my collection.

I love the football idea you suggested -too funny.

Thanks so much for your kind words about my creations on flickr. Sharpie pen art is so much fun on dominos and other game tiles. The fun mixed color backgrounds using sharpie pens are done using a twist on the "polished stone" technique. Basically, you scribble a few complimentary colors of sharpie pens on the slick side of the domino and then using a small spritz bottle with 91% rubbing alcohol and a white felt pad tool you daub, mix and swirl till you get a background you are happy with. (The alcohol actually lifts some of the color off during this process which will lighten the final colors on the game tile.) Then just stamp your image using staz-on ink. There is no right or wrong way to do this and it is fun to try several ways to add, remove and mix the colors till you get a look you like. The discovery process is half the fun of this type of project and dominos are a very inexpensive canvas to play with. (Warning - you may find domino art addictive - Grins and Giggles)

I created some instructions for this process a few years back when I was just starting to do domino art that can be found at the following link
http://www.thirdcoastrs.com/game_piece_tutorial_.htm

FYI - I now finish off my domino pieces by sponging on a few light coats of Mod Podge sealers (Matte or Goss, depending on the piece) rather than the spray sealers, since the finish seems to hold up better over time

Hope this helps,
Evelyn

Old 02-20-2010, 08:44 AM
stampin stacy

You might want to check out some of the links in this old thread:

http://rubberstampchat.net/showthread.php?t=3018

they are great images, good luck finding info on them, drives me crazy to not know who made the stamps I have.
Old 02-20-2010, 09:34 AM
StamPoor

Can't help with identifying the makers of your images -- which are great, by the way -- but understand your frustration; not knowing drives me crazy, too.
Old 02-20-2010, 10:11 AM
Creative Arts Fanatic

Thanks Stacy and Ingrid,

I always feel like I'm on a grand quest when I try and discover who made a stamp; but, with all the great stampers in this group I figure my chances are good that someone might own these, have seen them at a stamp show, in a catalog, or in scenic art in one of the many stamping magazines published over the past 20+ years. My fingers are crossed someone will recognize one or both and clue me in.

The link suggested had some cool gnomes, unfortunately not one of these guys...so; I'm still on the hunt for their identities.

Old 02-20-2010, 02:55 PM

Default Sharpie Art

Thansk for the ncie response. I will try that out for sure. The final coating.......would Collage Pauge work? I also have matte gel by Liquitex.

Been a busy day here for me in GA, great weather, near 60. I raked pine needles for 5 hours.........jeesh. Now to relax and do some art!

Othar
Old 02-20-2010, 04:51 PM
Creative Arts Fanatic

Default Rd: Sharpie Art

Hi again Othar

The best way to know for sure if a particular coating will work is to give it a try and wear the piece for a while. That's what made me switch from a spray finish to the other.

I live in a part of North Carolina that gets hot and humid in the summer and I started to notice that over time the heat and humidity was causing the spray finish to eventually gum up and turn sticky (I tried several types and various brands and they all seemed to eventually do the same thing - this was so frustrating).

The liquid lacquer seems to hold up good over time if it is one or two light layers. Thicker layers have fogged up over time on some of my pieces.

Hope this helps.

Old 02-20-2010, 11:42 PM

Don't know the stamp company for the stamps.

Love the recommendation for modge podge or some other type of sealer. I'm looking at my belly-banded wood veneer vase and don't like what is happening to the finish (blast from our wood stove and then cooling off every night and early morning) as it sits on our fireplace mantel. Guess I'll need to do some more experimentation!
Old 03-07-2010, 04:19 AM

I think the troll/wizard is VIP Visual Stamps