Rubber Stamp Chat

Go Back   Rubber Stamp Chat > Studio > Tips and Tutorials

Tips and Tutorials Learn new stamping techniques and projects. Ask how stamping techniques are done here.

Old 11-30-2009, 12:14 PM
Been real & been fun

Default Need help with heat embossing

Recently, I tried heat embossing white on blue cardstock and was dismayed that where I had not stamped, that's where quite a bit of powder landed. Please, send help!

The same thing happened with my gold powder. Praytheetel, what am I do wrong?
Old 11-30-2009, 12:46 PM
Inky the Muse

Do you use any kind of anti-static product when you emboss? The stray ep (embossing powder) most often comes from static making the powder cling to the cardstock in areas you haven't stamped in &/or the powder clinging to the oils on your fingers that gets left on the cardstock when handling it. Both issues can be lessened with the use of an anti-static product & a small paint brush. Lemme' 'splain:

You have several forms of anti-statics you can chose from:

1) little cans of anti-static powder that you dust across the paper prior to stamping
2) little bags of anti-static powder that you pat across the paper prior to stamping
3) used dryer sheets that you rub across the paper prior to stamping

The cans & bags are found in the stamping section of your local stamp/craft store &/or can be ordered online. (SU! sells the lil bag form called Embossing Buddy)

A small tipped brush (paint brushes & makeup brushes both work well and are inexpensive) is useful for wisking away stray particles of the ep that may cling to your paper even when using anti-static powder. There just won't be as many crumbs to remove when using the AS (anti-static).

1) Apply the AS of choice to the surface of the carstock you want to emboss on. You want a light even dusting over the entire surface, but no obvious clumps. Use the brush to remove excess anti-static powder. You should be barely able to see the AS on the paper.
2) Stamp using the pigment ink of choice.
3) Sprinkle ep over the stamped area or dip the paper into a small tub of ep. Which ever method works for you. (I have a sandwich tub of clear ep, but everything else is in little jars.) Tap off the excess ep & use the brush to remove any stubborn stray bits.
4) Heat until the ep melts, but keep the heat tool moving to avoid over melting & scorching the paper.
5) Tilt the paper under a bright light to make sure all areas are melted & shiny. (The exceptions to the done-when-shiny test are frosted & distressed eps. They do melt, but you have to keep an eye on them to notice the melting in progress then quickly move on to the next area.)

A small tray of some kind or a piece of paper that has been folded down the middle then opened flat on your work surface is handy for catching the ep & returning the extra to the jar. Dust whatever you're catching the ep in with your AS product prior to applying ep to make clean up easier. You can also rub the lil brush in the AS so the bits you're whisking don't cling to the bristles either. If you're stamping in a very dry climate, static cling may be much worse & using an AS may make all the difference.
Old 11-30-2009, 05:59 PM
Viva Las Vegastamps!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAfricanQueen View Post
Recently, I tried heat embossing white on blue cardstock and was dismayed that where I had not stamped, that's where quite a bit of powder landed. Please, send help!

The same thing happened with my gold powder. Praytheetel, what am I do wrong?
That's the reason I ONLY use UHG Clear Embossing Powder from VLVS! as try as I might, little specks of the colored stuff will still show up... I use colored pads if I want a color but generally, I stamp with a black pigment pad and color in. I sometimes even use it with a Kaleidacolor pad... I keep the EP in a rubbermaid container (we sell the EP by the pint) and spoon it over the card and then pour the excess back in and tap the back with my finger from my thumb and get off any excess but even if there are extra specks, they won't show when you emboss!

http://vivalas.blogspot.com/
Old 11-30-2009, 08:45 PM
Audreyrose

Wink

I agree with all that has been said and the clear powder from Stampo is the BEST!!!! He knows I Love the stuff ad use it ALL the time!!
Old 12-01-2009, 12:40 AM
Viva Las Vegastamps!

I ONLY sell stuff that I use myself and think is the best!
http://vivalas.blogspot.com/
Old 12-01-2009, 06:53 AM
stampin stacy

A small brush is a must when heat embossing.

Another tip I learned from Mary Jo McGraw is to give your paper a tap on the back side when you are trying to get the excess EP off the paper. As long as you have used a juicy enough ink pad, the only powder that will come off is the excess. Which reminds me, if you aren't using a juicy enough pad then some of those stray bits could have flown off from another area of your image with the heat gun.
Old 12-01-2009, 09:18 AM
stmpstone

I'm a triple thumper after I sprinkle the ep on the paper. It seems to work well for me.

An extra dot of clear ep isn't usually a problem. Black pigment with black ep gives a lovely look but beware of the black dots. An extra thump or two is in order.

Claudia
Old 12-01-2009, 10:58 AM
Been real & been fun

Thank you all for your input!

At this time, I'm have to do without any unnecessary expenditures as finances are quite tight. So, I'm having to 'use it up, wear it out, make do or do without'!

Thank you again for all of the tips!
Old 12-01-2009, 11:31 AM
stampin stacy

Quote:
At this time, I'm have to do without any unnecessary expenditures as finances are quite tight. So, I'm having to 'use it up, wear it out, make do or do without
understand, pretty much the same in my house
Old 12-01-2009, 04:13 PM
Stamp Hoarder

Those darn "anti" static bags always cause my paper to become more static-y.

I flick the paper several times and also use a small paint brush.