Rubber Stamp Chat

Go Back   Rubber Stamp Chat > Studio > Tips and Tutorials

Tips and Tutorials Learn new stamping techniques and projects. Ask how stamping techniques are done here.

Old 11-17-2009, 08:26 PM
Stamp Hoarder

Default Melted wax backgrounds

Some of you may know this technique, I learned it about a number of years ago at a stamp expo from a woman who said she'd been teaching it for something like 10 years. She also said the woman who taught her had been doing it for many years and called it an "old stampers techinique". I know there is someone who is teaching it now as her 'new' technique since she discovered it while playing around and she couldn't find ref to it online so she figured it was her discovery.

Anyway....it's a fun technique and I used it to make all my Ren atc's in my gallery.

You'll need;
An iron
A craft iron
Crayons
paper
scrap paper
card board
paper towels

Put your paper to be colored on the cardboard. Take a crayon and melt some of it directly onto your craft iron and press it on your paper kind of painting with it. Use as many colors as you want.

When you're done, place a piece of scrap paper over the good paper and iron it with the clothes iron.

Peel scrap paper away and wipe wax off of your good paper while it's still pretty warm. This should leave it so you can stamp on it. If you don't get all the wax off it won't take ink very well. You may have to repeat this step a number of times.

Stamp.

My craft iron is one of the ones that's about 2"x4" and it works, but the ones with the smaller iron surface really work better for this as it's easier for putting just a little dab of color between other colors.
Old 11-17-2009, 09:08 PM
wolfeyesone

I'd like to try it, where could I purchase a sm craft iron ?
Old 11-17-2009, 10:10 PM

This sounds like fun. I must try it. Thanks for this great tutorial!
Old 11-18-2009, 12:15 AM

This a form of an ancient art form called encaustic. There are even examples from Roman times of this being used on coffins as portraits of the deceased.
As for the tiny craft irons they have the best prices at Joanns with a coupon.They are about $15 regular. It is a great way to use all those broken/thrift store crayons up for art. With practice you can make really neat effects. You can stamp under or over the wax, just use Staz-on.
HTH
~C8>
Old 11-18-2009, 05:18 AM

oh..i love this technique...the images turn out so pretty with the encaustic backgrounds...i have always wanted to try it..but never knew how and where to start...but in the future some where, i do want to try....i wished someonne in my home town did it..its easy to watch someone...and see how they go about it..thanks for this post...i hope others leave more post..to get me up to try it
Old 11-18-2009, 07:57 AM
fadedpaperrose11

I have to chuckle a little, because a lot of these wonderful techniques that we stampers love to use are techniques I learned many years ago as art projects for preschoolers! So I KNOW that we can do them and make fantastic art! Have fun everyone!
Old 11-18-2009, 08:36 AM
Stamp Hoarder

I guess there has been some arguement that this technique is not exactly 'encaustic' as you wipe off the wax leaving only the pigment. It's flat and pourous if you do it right and will hold ink well. But Staz On or Archival definately works better.

I don't care if it's technically 'encaustic' or not. I just think it's neat!
Old 11-18-2009, 05:01 PM
wolfeyesone

hey .. I have a Joann's on the way to work I'll stop by & see if they have one. Ty for the info.
As far as preschoolers go - thats my league right now, so I'm ok with that ! & there are tons of crayons left over from the kids in ziplock baggies. Sounds fun.
Old 11-18-2009, 07:01 PM
Stamp Hoarder

This kind http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...%3D20%26um%3D1

is more versatile with this technique than...

This kind http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...%3Den%26um%3D1

Especially if you're working on a small item such as at atc.

And this is only because if you want to add a tiny dab of a certain color...the bigger craft iron isn't as easily maneuvered. The bigger one works well, but look at my atc's...if I'd wanted to put a very small dash of say red in any of them...it would have been more difficult with the bigger iron. I can say this because I tried. LOL

Anyway, I am going to get the smaller iron too, so that I have both. That way I'll be covered no matter what size project I'm working on.

And I've heard some people use their clothes iron...they just cover it with foil. They melt the crayons onto the foil. But then they have to do all the crayon melting and then take the foil off and then do all the "remelting' and wiping off of the wax. So in my opinion it's worth the investment to get the craft iron if you can afford it.

I like to use this technique for atc backgrounds. So when I do it, I like to have a LOT of atc size card stock cut down so I can make a lot of backgrounds. I don't like to drag all the stuff out for this all the time.

I would love to see what anyone makes using this technique!!!
Old 11-18-2009, 10:48 PM

So, Theresa, am I getting this right? You lay down the melted crayons on the cardstock with the little iron, then remove the wax with an iron/scrap paper; the wax comes off but leaves the colors of the crayons? So you end up with color but no wax on the ATC?

Is it better to do this on regular cardstock or glossy?

Love your ren ATC. Can you post it here in this thread for everyone to see? Thanks.