Rubber Stamp Chat

Go Back   Rubber Stamp Chat > Bulletin Board > Questions and Suggestions

Questions and Suggestions Questions about the forum or software? Can't figure something out? Ask me here.

Old 10-26-2009, 05:20 PM
AndreaR

Default Prior Sketch Challenge submissions...question

I was wondering if there is any protocol or restrictions on submitting a card from a previous Sketch Challenge to a magazine for publication.

Is it a no-no? I would definitely give RSC and the hosting company credit for the sketch design, in addition to stamp credits to the vendors utilized. I did see one question in this forum about sketch challenge/submissions, but it referred to deleting the upload from the Gallery. The only place I can locate my scan is in the original post, but I'd be happy to delete it if someone told me what is required.

Thanks for any help you can give me. If it's not allowed, I'll just go back to the drawing board and make up a new design, but I really loved the way the particular card came out.

AndreaR
Old 10-26-2009, 06:09 PM

Hmmm, I don't know the answer, but if you can not subbmit it, you could use the same sketch and color scheme to make another card perhaps.
Old 10-26-2009, 06:28 PM
Beeswax Rubber Stamps

I don't see why you couldn't submit it. If the company owners object to that it should be stated in the original Sketch Challenge post. If not, I say go for it.
Old 10-26-2009, 06:33 PM

what a great question, since i am new , i will be watching this one..it will be good to know for any future art. thanks
Old 10-26-2009, 10:57 PM

Question

I don't think it's an RSC or necessarily even the vendor question.

I've seen folks who publish a lot remove/block items from their blogs or not reveal a piece of art based on the publication's restrictions. The artist may 'publish' the art on their blog after the piece is published; sometimes this is with more info on the technique, the sketch, the template, etc. and sometimes the blog post includes a direct link to the publication (as more 'publishing' is getting done on the web). The key here is that the publishers don't want to see the piece out on the web 'for free look-sees' before they actually produce their publication.

Most of the vendor companies on RSC actually reward us with 'gift' certificates or some type of compensation if your artwork is published.

For me personally, I wouldn't put a piece up on the web that I was planning to publish. Several folks here on RSC are regularly published; the artwork they share here is after it has been published in RSM, VSN, etc.

Any lawyers here on RSChat? I'm sure there are other thoughts here as well.
Old 10-30-2009, 02:19 PM

Andrea, This is a very good question.

Karen is right (above). If you used one of our vendor's stamps, they may thank you with free stamps for being published. Go to their website and see what they say about publication incentives.

With regard to to the magazine: go to the magazine's website and look at "get published" and see what the magazine in question says. Some magazines do not want art that has been seen anywhere. Some don't seem to mind.

This is what I found on VSN's website:
"You retain any rights you have to your artwork, but I ask that you not allow the same artwork to be published in another stamp or craft publication (something that neither publication nor their readers like!) If you want to post the artwork online on your website or blog, it would be appreciated if you would wait at least a few weeks after the VSN issue in which it is published is out."

So said, if I were sending the card in question to VSN for instance, I would remove the art from being posted here on RSC, send a tiff to VSN, then if it is published, repost it a month after it was published. Nancie, at VSN, is a real person (LOL) who will respond to questions you have.

Good luck, Andrea. Let us know how this turns out!