Rubber Stamp Chat

Go Back   Rubber Stamp Chat > Studio > Tips and Tutorials

Tips and Tutorials Learn new stamping techniques and projects. Ask how stamping techniques are done here.

Old 09-20-2009, 04:14 PM

Default Body Wash Technique

Body Wash Technique / Faux Soap Stone Technique

Isn't it fun to discover that something you already have can be used to make backgrounds? Case in point: body wash! This is another fun and easy background.

To make 1/4 sheet: Rub several colors of soft pastels onto light colored cardstock, keeping the colors separated. You will want to lay down a good amount of pastels! Pour about a nickel-size amount of body wash onto the prepared cardstock. Use a cotton ball to move the body wash around. Press hard enough to rub and blend the pastels with the body wash. When you are finished, you can still use the soaked cotton ball. Try rubbing the remainder of the pastels/body wash on separate cardstock, to make a lighter, but coordinating tag for your card (as shown in the sample). The finished product feels like soap stone.

To make the "faux brads": use a hole punch to punch 2 circles out of the prepared background. Adhere to the card, then add Diamond Glaze (or equivalent) over the circles and let dry.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg oil-pastel wash-ISC-faux-brads.jpg (34.8 KB, 204 views)

Last edited by Deb Lovett; 06-03-2010 at 09:16 PM. Reason: pastels, soft pastels, soap stone
Old 09-20-2009, 04:17 PM

Default Body Wash technique

Here is the package of soft pastels. They are not chalks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg oil-pastels.jpg (40.9 KB, 197 views)

Last edited by Deb Lovett; 09-21-2009 at 06:50 PM. Reason: soft pastels
Old 09-21-2009, 02:43 AM

Hi Deb,

I love this technique. I'll have to see about getting some soft pastels. Your sample card is beautiful.

Jeanette
Old 09-21-2009, 06:02 AM

Thanks Jeanette! I found the soft pastels in the art department of Hobby Lobby. I bet any art store carries them.
Old 09-21-2009, 12:31 PM

I probably have some lurking in the closet. I know I have some called oil pastels. Is that the same as soft pastels?
Old 09-21-2009, 02:29 PM
Inky the Muse

Yep! They have the texture & consistancy of congealed oil paint 'cause that's basically what they are. Color pigment held together with a thick oil base shaped into sticks. You can lay down color using the sticks & blend them using Gamsol or other synthetic paint thinner (they smell less than the real stuff) & a paint brush, stubb or brush tip Fantastix. You can also pick up color from the sticks using any of these tools that has been moistened with the paint thinner & color in stamped images just like you would with other paints. The tend to be rather opaque unless you thin them out & they can be blended to create shading & highlights as well as new colors.

Deb is right, you can find them in just about any craft store in the 'fine arts' section or take a look in the kids 'art' section. That's where I found mine along with a largish set of chalk pastels for about $5 each. They aren't the best quality, but for learning how to use them, they're fine. If you fall in love with them you can always buy a set of artist grade sticks later when they go on sale or you have a coupon.
Old 09-21-2009, 04:29 PM

Thank you!
Old 09-21-2009, 06:48 PM

For some reason in my mind I thought oil pastels and soft pastels were the same thing, but they may be different so I am going to change all mention of the product in the instructions to "soft pastels" because that is what I used. Sorry for any confusion.

Fab, let us know how oil pastels turn out.
Old 09-22-2009, 12:59 AM
Inky the Muse

Deb, are your 'pastels" oily or chalky? Both types of stick coloring mediums look a lot alike in the package, but you're right in that they perform very differently! Part of the confusion is that what these products are called can vary depending on where you live or who's teaching you & where they learned about them. (East coast says soda, West coast says pop, both mean sweet carbonated beverage)

Chalk pastels are a compressed powdered pigment that can be used on all kinds of textured surfaces, tends to be opaque on dark surfaces & usually requires some kind of spray fixative or the powder will rub off.

Oil pastels are as I described them below.

Both are lots of fun & can be bought for very little $.
Old 09-22-2009, 08:31 AM

Jenna, you are so smart! I was raised in the East and I only knew of "oil pastels". The only thing on the box is "soft pastels". It doesn't say chalk or oil, but based on your description, I would say these are chalky.

Bottom line -- both work. I'd love to see a sample here using oil pastels, if anyone would be willing. Thanks so much for the bonus teaching, Jenna.