Rubber Stamp Chat

Go Back   Rubber Stamp Chat > Studio > Tips and Tutorials

Tips and Tutorials Learn new stamping techniques and projects. Ask how stamping techniques are done here.

Old 07-21-2009, 10:17 PM

Default Spray Starch technique

This is the easiest background technique you can do! All you need is black cardstock, spray starch (I used Niagra), Pearl Ex, foam paint brush and a tray to work on.

Put a piece of black cardstock on the tray and spray liberally with spray starch. Tap on Pearl Ex. Swirl the Pearl Ex around with the foam paint brush. Let dry. Use as a background, or stamp directly on background and emboss with a contrasting color.
- The spray starch acts as the adhesive and sets the Pearl Ex. No need to seal.
- The tulips and sentiment are stamped with Versamark and embossed with white embossing powder.

Thanks for coming by. If you try this technique, please share your art with us.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg spray-starch-copper.jpg (35.4 KB, 445 views)

Last edited by Deb Lovett; 07-22-2009 at 11:23 AM. Reason: embossing clarification
Old 07-22-2009, 03:01 PM
StamPoor

Thanks for sharing, Deb. It looks like a great effect.
Old 07-22-2009, 08:14 PM

You are welcome, Ingrid. I'm looking forward to seeing your art. You will find that scans can't show the shimmer and shine of the Pearl Ex.
Old 07-23-2009, 10:02 PM
Beccastamps

Very neat, thanks for sharing!
Old 07-23-2009, 10:31 PM

Thanks, Becca!
Old 07-23-2009, 10:36 PM

Default Spray Starch technique

This was a past Christmas card featuring the spray starch technique. The sparkle from the Pearl Ex doesn't scan well, but I was very pleased with it. Definitely quick and easy!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Spray-Starch-3.jpg (24.4 KB, 397 views)
Old 08-15-2009, 02:42 PM
happygolucky2929

Hi - I am new to stamping, what is Pearl EX? The technique looks cool and I would like to try. Thanks
Old 08-15-2009, 03:04 PM
Inky the Muse

Pearl Ex is a brand of mica powder. These baby powder fine pigments can be used with a variety of products (Versamark Watermark ink, Glue ink, starch, spray adhesive) to add sparkle to your stamping & other paper crafting projects as well as be added to white acrylic paint or other paint bases such as gum arabic, clear glazes & blending mediums for a different approach to adding glitz where you want it. Other brands are Primary Elements, Perfect Pearls, Moon Glow, Fashion Dust & Powdered Pearls. There is lots of info here & other places and there isn't really a wrong way to use these colorful powders, just be careful to not inhale them!
Old 08-15-2009, 03:30 PM

Glad to have you with us happygolucky2929!

Jenna has given some great information above!

Pearl Ex is made by Jacquard Products and you can find them at stamp stores or Hobby Lobby, Michaels etc. They are mica powders that have no adhesive in them, so if for instance, you painted them to your paper with a paint brush and water, when the water dried, the mica powder would brush away -- nothing in the product to adhere it to the cardstock. That is why you need to use some kind of adhesive when you apply Pear Ex to your paper (Jenna gave lots of ideas above). The spray starch in this technique acts as the adhesive.

There are other mica products that have the "adhesive" in the powder, such as Perfect Pearls (from Ranger) and because the adhesive is in the product, you can paint them on with water and when they dry they are set. Another very fun product!

BTW, you can use any of the mica powders in this technique, even if they have adhesive in them. I hope you will try the technique and share your art with us. This technique is super-easy and turns out very sparkly (which is very hard to capture on film!).
Old 08-20-2009, 10:54 AM
happygolucky2929

Thanks for all of the info, I will be going to Michael's and get me some this week!