Rubber Stamp Chat

Go Back   Rubber Stamp Chat > Studio > Tips and Tutorials

Tips and Tutorials Learn new stamping techniques and projects. Ask how stamping techniques are done here.

Old 07-11-2009, 08:07 AM

Default Sumi technique

The weather is good for playing with spray paints outside.

The "Sumi" background is not hard to make. Put some water in a pan or container*. Spray spraypaint on water, then carefully place cardstock on water and push down into the water. The paint will adhere to the paper. If it doesn't, scoop under the spray and pull up on the paper. Let dry.

Notes:
Wear gloves! This is a very messy technique.
*Do NOT use a styrofoam container.
Be aware of overspray! I put a little water in an empty cat litter container. The high sides contained the overspray very well. Also keep in mind that the paint will ruin your container.

I also put instructions for the "sumi" technique in my gallery under the "sumi flower". I hope you will try the sumi technique and share your art. Put "sumi" as a tag so we all can find your art.

PS: I initially thought this background piece turned out UGLY and almost threw away, but didn't, so...
...don't be discouraged if the page isn't beautiful. Try it as a background.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sumi-solo-bud-1.jpg (39.4 KB, 153 views)

Last edited by Deb Lovett; 07-22-2009 at 08:37 PM. Reason: to add instructions here; container
Old 07-11-2009, 08:44 AM
marstamper

Nice!
Old 07-11-2009, 11:39 AM

Deb - thanks for sharing this technique - I had not heard of it before. It sounds like fun and your card came out great!

my blog - a papercrafting journey
Old 07-11-2009, 05:42 PM

Thanks, Maralee!
Old 07-11-2009, 05:43 PM

Thanks, Nancy. It is fun, if you don't mind messy! I hope people will try it and share their art.
Old 07-15-2009, 03:49 PM

Default Spray paint?

Was the paint you sprayed on the water (to make the background) just the ordinary stuff you might buy to spray a wooden plaque or box?
Old 07-15-2009, 06:16 PM

Yes that is it, Fab!
I used Krylon Interior-Exterior true blue gloss on the above sample. If you have trouble getting the paint to adhere to the paper, you can scoop under the paint and pull it up on the paper.

You can also use Krylon Paper Finishes Stained Glass Sheer Color, and probably more types of paint that I don't know about.
Old 07-20-2009, 11:06 PM

Default sumi backgrounds

Here are some backgrounds I made using more than one spray paint on a background. I like the single color background better than the multi-colored ones -- I think it will be easier to use as a background for cards or ATCs.

I used Krylon Interior-Exterior true blue gloss, Krylon Stained Glass sheer yellow and Krylon Stained Glass sheer green.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sumi-backgrounds-1.jpg (41.4 KB, 114 views)
Old 07-20-2009, 11:24 PM

Deb, is this a technique that you can 'control' the look by gently swirling or running a BBQ skewer through like you can with Italian Marbeling? I like the effects but am hoping that with using another color you can make it a slight bit more exotic. Must these dry flat or can you hang them? ~C8>
Old 07-21-2009, 08:18 AM

Default sumi

I think it may depend on the type of paint you use. I remember trying this technique a few years ago and used a skewer to TRY to move the paint around, but the paint adhered to the skewer, so instead I moved the dish around to the get the paint to move. I didn't think about a skewer this time. If you have time to experiment, let us know what you discover.

I let these pages dry flat on a box. They are a bit warped. I will have to use a glue stick to flatten them on my card.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alsmouse View Post
Deb, is this a technique that you can 'control' the look by gently swirling or running a BBQ skewer through like you can with Italian Marbeling? I like the effects but am hoping that with using another color you can make it a slight bit more exotic. Must these dry flat or can you hang them? ~C8>