Rubber Stamp Chat

Go Back   Rubber Stamp Chat > Studio > Tips and Tutorials

Tips and Tutorials Learn new stamping techniques and projects. Ask how stamping techniques are done here.

Old 06-28-2009, 06:10 PM

Unhappy New to coloring images, need help

Hi and thanks in advance for looking.

I'm trying to learn how to color in my stamped images and watercoloring, water-based markers, and my most recent purchaes: Bic mark-it permanent markers are all not coming out too great.

I've watched this video "How to get copic like results with bic or sharpie markers" by afterhoursstamper (can't post a link because I don't have 5 posts) and it inpired me to get a set and try it out before investing in pricey supplies and wasting them on trial and error.

I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. I just don't get the shading and blending. Maybe my brain isn't wired that way. I don't exactly know where to or how to shade or if you always need more than 1 color.

Any advice would be helpful?
Old 06-28-2009, 07:24 PM
Viva Las Vegastamps!

I know everyone is crazy about the copics because they're brighter, etc. but I'm old school having started in the 80's and my preference is Marvy LePlumes (don't laugh, now) and I especially like the pastel colors... the 50's retro look... I did some water coloring on a swap recently where you dipped the pen in water and it looked good for a while but is faded now... supposedly the copics are alcohol based and won't fade but they sure do cost a lot! I like to emboss with clear embossing powder and then color in but I've also been known to directly color the rubber with Marvy brush markers and then hack on the stamp to moisten it before stamping...
http://vivalas.blogspot.com/
Old 06-28-2009, 08:26 PM

When I first read your post, I didn't have any response because I don't use markers to color my images. But, Stampo's response led me to think that perhaps I could offer some suggestions.

First--go to youtube. There are plenty of videos from folks generously sharing their skills for your benefit.

Next, it might help to try some other methods of coloring to develop your basic skills, then transfer those skills to markers. I think using colored pencils and gamsol make shading and blending very easy or try using watercolor pencils with water for blending. I also think chalks can be a good place to start.

Look at your stamps and notice that color shading is often suggested by lines on the stamp indicating shadows or deeper colors. Also, I've found the technique of coloring more darkly around the edge of the area and then pulling the color inwards with the blending medium (whatever it might be, gamsol, or water) a pretty easy method of achieving pretty nice results. If you are using mounted stamps, some of them come with colored indices that you can mimic in your coloring efforts.

Maybe most important--practice! Paper is pretty cheap and even if you don't like throwing "mistakes" out, you can always find ways of recycling even the stuff you think turns out badly (because sometimes what you think is a mistake is simply a creative challenge!). Stay tuned to some of threads on RSC for those kinds of ideas!

Debra
Old 06-28-2009, 09:25 PM
catiekk

I'm with you Hobbyaholic. I own a lot of Tria alcohol markers. They are basically like the Copic markers. I watch the copic videos and try to match colors and techniques but my images NEVEr seem to blend like those I watch. I don't get it!

catiekk
Old 06-28-2009, 09:35 PM
Audreyrose

My basic coloring tool is Prisma Color Pencils. I love them You can go to Prismacolor.com to view videos on coloring with them. I also use blender pens or mineral spirits for blending. I also like the markers put out by Prismacolor. I also stamp the image then heat emboss with clear embossing powder. Stampo at Vivia Las Vegas Stamps has the best clear embossing powder and it is very reasonable in price. I bought a pint bottle and it will no doubt last my the majority of my life although I use it for everything! I also color with gel glitter pens then heat embossover them with the clear embssing powder. I have used water color pencils then blend with water on a watercolr brush to move the color around and blend. Good luck there is always someone here to help you out.
Old 06-29-2009, 11:40 AM
stampeediva

Audreyrose...I saw that you said you color with gel glitter pens and heat emboss over them. That's a cool idea. I usually mix the glitter directly in with my embossing powder and I love the look of that, but then I'm limited to the shapes that I stamped. I'll have to try your gel glitter pen idea so I can do some freeform shapes. Thanks!
Old 06-29-2009, 11:47 AM

I agree on google-ing and finding a good video or blog. I learned tons from the internet when I began stamping and keep looking to find out if folks have found 'short-cuts' or 'cheap-cuts' for a variety of techniques.

For dye-based markers, it seems to me the key is to ensure you have either a water blending pen or brush. I can't do dye-based markers to save my soul! They never seem to blend properly but I think that's 'cause I don't do them on watercolor paper which would probably work much better for me. I now know I need a palette to put the ink from the marker in, a little water and then it is a bit easier.

Alcohol markers still need a blending pen unless you use the lighter marker to pull a medium or dark color in. Flourishes just did a video with a link here on RSChat that shows copic markers and the blending pen. The blender pen actually pushes the color away in most instances but the Flourishes video also shows how to pull a lighter shade from a regular marker.

Key is practice and finding out what you like best. I kept a lot of my first cards as inspiration on how I wanted to refine my techniques. It's fun to see the progression!
Old 06-29-2009, 12:37 PM

Copics are very different than waterbased markers, and imho take a little longer to get used to. Here is a link to a thread, that links to a video I put together on I how used copics. Hope this helps a little!

http://www.rubberstampchat.net/showthread.php?t=2926

my blog - a papercrafting journey
Old 06-29-2009, 02:13 PM
StamPoor

Nancy, thanks for re-posting the information about that video link. I missed it the first time around, but I just watched it and learned a good bit. I appreciate it.
Old 06-29-2009, 06:56 PM

Thanks Nancy for the video. I've probably watched it 4 times already.

Thanks everyone else for taking the time to reply.

I have chalks that I use with versamark and to color backgrounds etc *Watercolors don't work so great for me. I follow all of the youtube videos and try to get the same look and it never works. I use light pressure and put my darkest color at the edge and progress inward with my aqua brush. Still looks like I had a light image with a dark outline or one solid color.
*I have markers like Marvy and when I color with those, unless I"m just straight coloring in the image, it looks the same.
*I don't have a blender pen so maybe I need to get one of those.
* I have tried the gamsol and color pencils at a stamp camp. I need to find a small bottle. We just did straight color no multi step stuff. So I would probably have the same troubles.

Should I take a copic class even though I don't own any. So I can learn how to blend and shade?