Rubber Stamp Chat

Go Back   Rubber Stamp Chat > Studio > Tips and Tutorials

Tips and Tutorials Learn new stamping techniques and projects. Ask how stamping techniques are done here.

Old 05-31-2009, 05:29 PM
marstamper

Default H2O's

Now that I am fully stocked up on H2O's, what are the best techniques to using them? I have painted a little with them, but it jut seems too thick on my cards.
Old 05-31-2009, 07:12 PM

Try searching Twinkling H2Os on youtube. There were plenty of videos of some interesting techniques. Since they are water colors, you can make them as thin or thick as you like simply by varying the amount of water you use. I like them creamy for some things (coloring in a stamp image)and really transparent for others (backgrounds). I'm waiting for a back order that they say will arrive soon. I'm glad to hear they've decided to stay in business, although I won't need any for a while given the size of the order I made when I thought they were going away

Debra
Old 05-31-2009, 08:32 PM

Have you tried the water brushes? or just a light misting of the tops then use a carrier brush to a pallet to blend or thin to your desired level. If you use a carrier brush it may be easier to get the level you want. I use both methods depending on the project. HTH ~C8>
Old 06-01-2009, 09:02 AM
stampin stacy

Twinkling H2O's are very concentrated in pigment (color), especially the darker colors and a little goes a long way. When I demo these for Stamp La Jolla, one of the first things I tell people is to not load up their brush like you do with regular watercolors. You will be surprised just how far a tiny bit on the tip of your brush can go.

Some people like to get their pots very juicy and others me included only get a small spot wet, it really is preference. The wetter you get them the more sparkle though sometimes. If you added water to the whole pot and they seem too thick, you may need to add a little more water. Just remember though, DO NOT RECAP THEM UNTIL THEY HAVE DRIED COMPLETELY, or don't cap them again at all. Mine haven't seen caps in several years and they are like new still, well OK a lot more empty but that wasn't what we were talking about.

Like has been said, these are a watercolor medium and can be used anyway water colors can, they are just richer in color and have lots of sparkle. Enjoy, I almost always used them somewhere on a projects. Can't help myself .
Old 06-01-2009, 10:31 AM

I tend to mist mine and then use the smallest watercolor brush I've got, usually a 00 or 000. I haven't advanced to the light watercolor backgrounds yet!
Old 06-01-2009, 04:05 PM
marstamper

Thanks ya'll. I didn't know you shouldn't recap them. I will have to go uncap mine in a bit.
Old 06-01-2009, 08:08 PM

I've heard that recapping when still wet can promote mold growth. I haven't had that problem, yet, the ac seems to help keep the humidity down in the house, so stuff dries out pretty well. Is that what you are avoiding with leaving caps off, Stampin Stacy?

Debra
Old 06-02-2009, 03:11 AM

Maralee I'm so glad that you asked this question. I love my H20s but need help with using them.

Stacy great, you just answered a lot of my questions. Even some I didn't know that I had. Off to uncap my H20s.

Thanks
Jeanette
Old 06-02-2009, 04:50 AM
marstamper

I now know that loading up your whole brush greatly contributes to how thick the paint goes on. I tried it just using the tips, and love it!! Thanks again!
Old 06-02-2009, 06:49 AM
stampin stacy

You are most welcome everyone! Yes, leaving them uncapped helps avoid mold issues.

It also means you are more likely to use them. If you have to uncap and recap every pot, every time you are likely to not use them as much once the new wears off. I keep mine all together in a shoe box lid on a shelf right next to me. They are handy and easy to use, I even keep my water brushes in the lid with them.