Rubber Stamp Chat

Go Back   Rubber Stamp Chat > Studio > Tips and Tutorials

Tips and Tutorials Learn new stamping techniques and projects. Ask how stamping techniques are done here.

Old 05-10-2009, 08:54 AM
Been real & been fun

Lightbulb Colored pencil techniques

Has anyone tried this technique?

Masterful Color - Painting with color pencils layer by layer

Last edited by TheAfricanQueen; 05-12-2009 at 07:10 PM. Reason: changing the title to one more broad
Old 05-10-2009, 09:38 AM

This seems somewhat similar to Karen Lockhart's colored pencil technique which you'll see samples of in my gallery as I'm trying to master her technique. If you search the threads you'll find other information on colored pencil techniques.

For examples, published artists Darci Simmons and primodragon (Beverly S) have lots of fun with colored pencils and have posted art in their member galleries here. If you are interested in anyone's colored pencil technique, I'm sure you could PM them and ask questions since folks are so friendly here.
Old 05-10-2009, 10:26 AM
Been real & been fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by piecesandpom View Post
This seems somewhat similar to Karen Lockhart's colored pencil technique which you'll see samples of in my gallery as I'm trying to master her technique. If you search the threads you'll find other information on colored pencil techniques.

For examples, published artists Darci Simmons and primodragon (Beverly S) have lots of fun with colored pencils and have posted art in their member galleries here. If you are interested in anyone's colored pencil technique, I'm sure you could PM them and ask questions since folks are so friendly here.
I couldn't find Darci Simmons. Does she have another screen name?
Old 05-10-2009, 01:36 PM

Darci has done some amazing tags and ATCs for some swaps. I just checked and it looks like Inky Whiskers has put some of Darci's tags up in the swaps and exchanges gallery.
Old 05-10-2009, 03:47 PM
Been real & been fun

Thanks! I'll check it out.

WRM, would you point out to me which of your pieces you are coloring in prismacolor? And what technique of Karen's are you trying to achieve? I'm not familiar with Karen's work.
Old 05-10-2009, 06:00 PM

I'll PM you with the answers since I need to check my gallery to give you info.
Old 05-11-2009, 12:20 PM
fadedpaperrose11

Roberta, what was your question about using colored pencils? I'm not an expert, but I use colored pencils a lot and try to shade, and blend colors with them, a little. Colored pencils and chalks are my favorite mediums. Oh, I also use chalks to smooth my colored pencil coloring sometimes, too.
Old 05-11-2009, 01:50 PM
Been real & been fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darci Simmons View Post
Roberta, what was your question about using colored pencils? I'm not an expert, but I use colored pencils a lot and try to shade, and blend colors with them, a little. Colored pencils and chalks are my favorite mediums. Oh, I also use chalks to smooth my colored pencil coloring sometimes, too.
Darci~
My original question:

Has anyone done the layer by layer painting with colored pencil technique shown in Arlene Steinberg's book Masterful Color?

The link to her book is at the top of this thread.
Old 05-11-2009, 03:36 PM
Audreyrose

If I remember correctly someone showed that technique here on RSC in a video or directed us to a video. I can't remember what video it was but if I do I will let you know. I blend my prismacolor pencils in layers and I get really great resuts. I have also used mineral spirits to blend with a paint brush. Pencils are my favorite medium for coloring.
Old 05-11-2009, 04:01 PM
Been real & been fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audreyrose View Post
If I remember correctly someone showed that technique here on RSC in a video or directed us to a video. I can't remember what video it was but if I do I will let you know. I blend my prismacolor pencils in layers and I get really great resuts. I have also used mineral spirits to blend with a paint brush. Pencils are my favorite medium for coloring.
I never knew how versatile colored pencils were until I read Bet Borgeson's book. She's an amazing colored pencil artist.

If you do locate that vid, I sure would be interested.

Colored pencils rank tops for me, too. I love the fact that they are so versatile, not messy and easy to work with.