Rubber Stamp Chat

Go Back   Rubber Stamp Chat > Library Archives > Guest Artist Archives > Scenic Stamping with Kevin Nakagawa of Stampscapes

Scenic Stamping with Kevin Nakagawa of Stampscapes Kevin gives detailed answers regarding scenic stamping, techniques and color application.

Old 05-10-2009, 09:55 AM

Okay, twist my arm, Stacy! They are out on the table and staring at me, so I'll see what I can do with them.

This is a stash of SUp retired mulberry paper. . .Inky Whiskers might know who/where to get a good source online. I use it sparingly 'cause I consider it my good stuff, for special folks only!
Old 05-10-2009, 12:32 PM
RSMaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by piecesandpom View Post
mulberry paper. . . where to get a good source online.
Marco's carries mulberry paper, and I purchased a stack of it at A.C. Moore. I don't know how it compares to SU mulberry since I don't have any.
Old 05-10-2009, 01:25 PM

Default Momento Cocoa and Mulberry

Here it is, Stacy!

I used chalks, versacolor inks and glitter/stardust pens. RST's peg stamps added flowers, shrubbies. The actual meadow is a very light green chalk that doesn't show up well in the scan. It's subtly glittery in real life.

I included my other options for backing cardstock. The green was my second choice and very calming, brought more depth to the chalks in the sky and the meadow. The blue is actually what I had behind the mulberry as I was chalking, adding the versacolors, etc. It didn't have the punch of the dark gold or green once I was finished. The red brought out the red in the sky and some of the bushes but muted the cocoa too much. I tried quite a few other colors to back the dark gold but opted to the KISS principle since they started to detract from boldness of the gold.

I was a little heavier on the highlights on the doe than I wanted, but it still works.

Cardstock is from Just Imagine Crafts - subtly glittery itself and just yummy, yummy paper.

I'm still waiting for the brown glitter pen which supposedly exists but I haven't found it online or at the LSS yet. . .would have helped with under the rocks and some of the tree trunks. I tend to use short strokes or dots to create sparkle and to enhance the chalk or ink colors.

What could I have done to make this even better Kevin?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CocoaMulberry.jpg (37.6 KB, 28 views)

Last edited by piecesandpom; 05-10-2009 at 01:29 PM. Reason: Add last paragraphs
Old 05-11-2009, 12:18 AM
Stampscapes

Quote:
Originally Posted by piecesandpom View Post
What could I have done to make this even better Kevin?
This is such a charming piece. Love the look of it.

By doing this piece, you have 100% more experience with the medium than I do so I don't have any advice. But, it certainly doesn't appear to need anything to me. I like it as is.
Old 05-11-2009, 09:15 AM

Thanks for the compliment; I'm ! And I had to go get my second cup of coffee and re-read the post to be sure I read it correctly the first time.
Old 05-11-2009, 12:11 PM
fadedpaperrose11

Such a LOVELY piece, Karen!!!

First, Kevin, have you ever used coated paper - not matte and not glossy? I acquired some from a printing shop, and I haven't found that dye ink or pastels or even markers work very well on it. It just doesn't show up much color at all. Do you know anything about it? Or what kind of medium would work on it?

Second, you blend all your stamps seamlessly with each other, and sometimes I struggle to do that. Do you have any tips for helping put all the stamps together?

Also, how do stamp artists get such soft, almost ethereal images and colors? Stamped images seem to have such SHARP lines for me, but some artists can achieve a soft edge to them, especially solid images. I've tried stamping them before I stamp them on scratch paper before I stamp on the card, but I can't seem to get that effect. I'm sure it takes practice. Any suggestions?

Where can I find good highlight pens like what you use? The ones I've tried, don't show up, or the paint markers have too large of tips. Don't have a stamping or craft store here to buy gel or highlight pens. I should probably try Staples.

Sorry to bombard you, Kevin. Thanks for your consideration!
Old 05-11-2009, 03:28 PM
Stampscapes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darci Simmons View Post
First, Kevin, have you ever used coated paper - not matte and not glossy? I acquired some from a printing shop, and I haven't found that dye ink or pastels or even markers work very well on it. It just doesn't show up much color at all. Do you know anything about it? Or what kind of medium would work on it?
I've used coated glossy and coated smooth matte (non glossy) but I haven't used a coated paper that was neither. My guess is that it's a smooth hot press paper that would be slightly more absorbent than glossy. Pastels would require more of a "tooth" to the paper and the fact that it's coated might be resisting the markers or something. Maybe dye based inks applied with stipple brushes might work for a soft look.

Quote:
Second, you blend all your stamps seamlessly with each other, and sometimes I struggle to do that. Do you have any tips for helping put all the stamps together?
Center pressuring with the imagery and more overlapping of the images with one another is the most fundamental of the blending techniques. You could also dab off, with a paper towel, about a 1/4"-1/2" the perimeter of the stamps so they the edges would potentially blend in with one another more gracefully. I hardly do this but will do it in my sky imagery from time to time if I'm doing a very dark sky. After that, I blend with common colors running through the different images. From there, I'll blend the imagery with common texture such as gel pen dots.

Quote:
Also, how do stamp artists get such soft, almost ethereal images and colors? Stamped images seem to have such SHARP lines for me, but some artists can achieve a soft edge to them, especially solid images. I've tried stamping them before I stamp them on scratch paper before I stamp on the card, but I can't seem to get that effect. I'm sure it takes practice. Any suggestions?
Probably multiple colors when coloring the imagery. I use lighter tones on the edges of my impressions. For example, if I have top lit trees, I'll color my trees with something like a dark green and then I'll use a light green pen to apply some of that color on the top edge of the tree. This will give it a lighter edge that will, thus, appear softer. From there I might apply some Colorbox white pigment ink after a coloring process. Another thing you can do is to simply dab off some ink before making your impression. This will give that soft look in those areas.

Quote:
Where can I find good highlight pens like what you use? The ones I've tried, don't show up, or the paint markers have too large of tips. Don't have a stamping or craft store here to buy gel or highlight pens. I should probably try Staples.
I ordered mine from jetpens.com . I don't know them but just put "white gel pen" into google one day and that sight came up. I get the Uniball Signo version that's an import from Japan. I don't have problems with this version at all. ~K
Old 05-11-2009, 03:40 PM
Audreyrose

Beautiful!!!
Old 05-11-2009, 04:11 PM

Darci, the white pen Kevin mentioned below does get sort of cloggy on chalks but I haven't had a problem on any other surface. The mulberry was probably soaking up some of the ink as well. I had to scribble on some scrap paper and then daub or stroke twice in a few instances on the card below.
Old 05-11-2009, 07:25 PM
fadedpaperrose11

Thanks, Kevin, that was VERY informative. Appreciate it!!!

Thanks, Karen for the tip.