Rubber Stamp Chat

Go Back   Rubber Stamp Chat > Studio > Tips and Tutorials

Tips and Tutorials Learn new stamping techniques and projects. Ask how stamping techniques are done here.

Old 06-23-2007, 09:16 AM

Default color with ink

I just saw and tried this coloring technique/tip

using water base inks: stamp the lid of your "color" pad on the top of your lid to the pad. Take a brush (I used my water pen brush), pick up the color and apply it to your image. When done everything wipes clean with baby wipes/towelettes or wet cloth. Soft colorwash effect with first application. Add 2nd or 3rd layers for depth and interest.

Thanks to web browsing the Mag sites.. CK I think had the "clip" for visuals.
Old 08-20-2007, 05:59 PM
mira

Exclamation ok..so im in the wrong tutorial?

...so where do i go to ask for help on my baby's bday invitations?
Old 10-29-2008, 10:06 AM
Arbriel

Hi everyone.
What is a Rollo?
I belong to ATCs for all and they have them there. The pictures are too vague to explain.
Arbriel
Old 10-29-2008, 10:34 AM
StamPoor

I would also think about Vamp Stamp News (VSN). It's not as fancy a magazine as some, but it is a good "workhouse" for beginners. It has a lot of technique information and they did a series of articles on various ways of coloring (pencils, inks, etc.) along with other techniques in 2006-2007. Back issues are available and the main topics are listed in each issue with more detailed issue content summaries listed on their web site (www.vampstampnews.com), so you can probably find just what you're looking for.
Old 10-29-2008, 06:35 PM
marstamper

I am surprised that VampStampNews is still up and running! I was with it before it actually got going, and when it did....then moved away.
Old 11-14-2008, 05:59 PM
Clueless

Default Newbie Confused about Brush Markers

I'd like to do some stamping in my scrapbooks. (I own several stamps, but have never used them...life interfered.) I know that, in addition to stamp pads, you can use brush markers to ink stamps, but I'm confused. I own several sets of pigment dual-tip Marvy Le Plume brush markers (purchased many years ago), which are labelled "water resistant." While researching stamping online, I find many references to "LePlume II" brush markers for use with rubber stamps - which are described as "water based." Will I damage rubber stamps by using the markers I own? Thank you?
Old 11-14-2008, 07:21 PM
Inky the Muse

Welcome!

Nope! The ink might stain the rubber a bit, but as long as the design is clear with no chunks of dried ink in the small crevices to clog the image after you clean the stamps, you should have lots of fun stamping on your scrapbook pages. (shampoo or glycerine soap & a baby toothbrush are good for cleaning stamps if you don't have a good stamp cleaner on hand)

A mild warning...unless a dye ink is labeled 'light' or 'fade' resistant, it will eventually fade a bit. Especially if left in direct sun. Of course, direct sun isn't good for cardstock or photos either. So a bright pink flower stamped today, may be just a medium pink flower years from now & softer colors (i.e. pastels) made fade out quite a bit.

Pigment inks are more fade resistant than most dye inks & can be found in pen form & there are several dye inks on the market formulated to be more light resistant than regular dye inks. A few of the better scrapbook safe dye inks are are: Ancient Page from Clear Snap, Archival Inks from Ranger & Momento from Tsukineko (now availble in markers). I know the other members will add info about other inks & good advice, 'cause that's just how we are around here!

P.S. Check the labels of any inks (pads or markers) for the words 'archivally safe' or 'archival quality' or something along those lines. Acid free alone isn't good enough as a product can be considered acid free because it's highly alkaline, which is just as harmful to photos in its own way as highly acidic materials can be.
Old 11-22-2008, 08:25 AM
Clueless

Thank you so much for the information - it's very helpful. There's a dizzying array of ink out there, much more than there used to be. (A theme of my life: I'm either complaining that there's not enough choice or too much!)
Old 12-02-2010, 06:39 AM
stampin stacy

Please also note that pigment ink will not dry on all surfaces, it is meant for porous surfaces only unless you are going to add embossing powder and heat set.
Old 12-05-2011, 11:47 AM

How can I find a particular topic without going through all posts? the new one I'm looking for is basic tips and techniques for Steampunk.