Rubber Stamp Chat

Go Back   Rubber Stamp Chat > Studio > Tips and Tutorials

Tips and Tutorials Learn new stamping techniques and projects. Ask how stamping techniques are done here.

Old 04-06-2007, 05:59 PM
Beeswax Rubber Stamps

Default Tutorials, Tips and Tricks

This is the place to share some tutorials, projects, tips and tricks. If you always wanted to learn how to make a specific card or do technique, ask for a tutorial or explaination here!

Amy
Old 04-26-2007, 04:47 AM
France

Hi All
Just thought I'd share (not being very active here lately and I love the idea of this forum).
I wrote a tutorial recently for Krafty Lady, on how to make Post-It Note Booklets (I know there are other tutorials on the web on that topic, but ... )
Not much stamping in those, but you CAN use your stamps!!
Have fun!
Old 05-27-2007, 03:22 AM

OK, I've seen most of the gallery and I am just blown away by the beautiful coloring techniques. There isn't alot in the description section on what technique eveyone uses. Why? Is it a secret formula? What paper did they start with?? Something special? I'm so new at all of this, that I would be thrilled with some basic color techniques and type of paper to use.

I've got water color pencils & crayon for back grounds. I've got tons of cardstock. I have a good knowledge of what Staz on, pigment ink and Embossing powders do. And they are sitting on my shelf.

It's just the coloring that is added to the image that stumps me. What is background and what is done after stamping the image/s?? I think I have all the supplies, but not sure how to get that "effect" with coloring. Can anyone help me??
Old 05-27-2007, 09:10 AM

Default coloring techniques

Quote:
Originally Posted by inky fingers View Post
OK, I've seen most of the gallery and I am just blown away by the beautiful coloring techniques. There isn't alot in the description section on what technique eveyone uses. Why? Is it a secret formula? What paper did they start with?? Something special? I'm so new at all of this, that I would be thrilled with some basic color techniques and type of paper to use.
Hi Inky Fingers,
I don't think there is a secret formula! The art in the gallery is placed in there by members from all over the place, and each probably has their favorite techniques, papers, coloring methods, etc. Some will add comments on how the artwork was done in the description area, others leave minimal or no notes there. And some artwork probably used multiple coloring techniques!

If you are interested in how a particular piece was done, you could try sending a note (by "private mail") to the artist and ask for more information. I'm sure if they have time they would be glad to help you if they can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by inky fingers View Post
It's just the coloring that is added to the image that stumps me. What is background and what is done after stamping the image/s?? I think I have all the supplies, but not sure how to get that "effect" with coloring. Can anyone help me??
There are lots of options for coloring in images. For outline images, one of my favorite techniques is stamp them in black (or sometimes grey or dark brown) ink on matte paper and then color them in with colored pencils. Other folks like to do a watercolor effect, which can be done with watercolor pencils or crayons, or even with brush markers. Those techniques are also usually done on matte paper, sometimes even on watercolor paper.

There are many ways to do backgrounds, from starting with colored or patterned paper/cardstock, to brayering, stippling, using watercolor techniques and more.

For solid images, you can simply ink the stamp in the color you want, of course. The images currently in my gallery were done this way. The stamps are by Alextamping, and they are (mostly) solid scenic stamps. So I ink the water or sky stamps in blue, the trees in green, the tree trunks in brown, etc. These particular ones were done on glossy paper with dye inks. Areas that I didn't have a stamp for (like grass) I did by stippling with a brush.

You might also find info on techniques at your local stamp store (if you are near one) - try demos or sign up for a class. Might help to see the process from start to finish "live". Some stamping magazines include info on how the published artwork was completed, too.

Hope that is some help! Your questions are quite broad so I tried to touch on some parts of what you are wondering about at least! Keep asking questions!

Kate
Old 05-27-2007, 10:59 AM
Beeswax Rubber Stamps

Kate gave you some great answers. Personally I stamp in black on regular old printer paper. I color all the large areas in with pastel chalks such as the sky and ground and water. Take a folded up piece of paper towel, rub it into the chalk and use that to rub the chalks into the paper. Once the larger areas are colored in with chalk you can take an eraser and erase any chalk you got into places you really didn't want it. Then I color all the smaller areas like the people, flowers, trees, etc..with colored pencils. I like prismacolor the best but I probably have four different brands just to get more of a color range. When you color with pencils just remember that grass isn't all one color of green. Accent with additional shades for a more realistic look.
Amy
Old 05-27-2007, 11:39 AM
stampin stacy

I too use pastels for backgrounds mostly, they are "goof proof" for beginners because like Amy said you can erase. The direction and length of your colored pencil strokes can have an impact on how something looks too. I often use the "color in threes" theory, even sometimes mixing in some brown or yellow to things like grass.
Old 05-27-2007, 10:20 PM

Thank you for your wonderful tips with coloring. I just can't believe it, you all got that great color with chalks, water color pens and crayons. Wowzers, where have I been?

I bought some better paper today-matted 120 count. It should hold up with water color techniques. My other papers left me wondering if I "ever" would color any thing decently that I had stamped. With the emphasis on "me" being the problem.

Chalks,,well I have a ton of chalks..2- 24 color sets and a round 6 colors of what I really love. Then the small cats eye chalk inks..I have about every color ever made...so I'll be playing alot this coming week.

There isn't a close stamping store/outlet near me, so I've been picking up what info I could on line. Could someone give me a good stampers mag name.. I can do subscriptions. Like I've said, I'm still pretty new to this stamping addiction. DD#1 lives to far away to be of much help (she's been into stamping over 10 years)..and what supplies I have are thanks to her for sending me a list of what I'd need.

Again, MY Heartfelt Thanks for responding so soon.. I knew I was being pretty generic but I didn't know just what to ask.. Feeling so NEW and silly.

But , Hey, if ya don't ask, you'll never learn.. Thanks
Old 05-27-2007, 10:32 PM
Beeswax Rubber Stamps

I can see that you're drawn to scenic stamping so the magazine that would best fit you would be Rubberstampmadness. They've been publishing alot more scenic stamping over the last year or so. You can get back issues too from their website.
Old 05-27-2007, 10:35 PM
stampin stacy

Rubberstamp Madness, aka RMS would be my recommendation too. We have a 3 page thread about magazines under Stamp Talk and I just moved it up so you could find it.
Old 05-28-2007, 06:57 AM

My favorite is to use the pearlized chalks with a blender pen/marker. My
second favorite is prismacolor pencils with gamsol using stumps - I'm still
working on this technique because pencil lines might not blend perfectly.
Sometimes this is okay because it adds interest or enhances/highlights
areas that are left blank by the stamp.
I've started adding different colors to areas of the stamp itself, stamping
and then enhancing with the chalks or pencils. Since I like sparkles, I may
add dots or lines with coordinating stardust gel pens. . .