Rubber Stamp Chat

Go Back   Rubber Stamp Chat > Library Archives > Guest Artist Archives > Ask MaryJo McGraw

Ask MaryJo McGraw Come on in and view the archives of our past visit with MaryJo McGraw.

Old 10-12-2008, 04:39 PM
maryjomcgraw.blogspot.com

Default fixin stuff

Any type of loose material such as pencil, charcoal and pastels(chalks) can be fixed with workable fixative and it can be used as a final spray as well. It however does not give any uv protection.
Most(many) pastel artists do not fix a final work (what a pain it is to frame those)as it can lead to color changes but do use workable fixative lightly to retooth the surface and keep smudging to a minimum.
The real problem in using clear sprays as fixative is that they can change the look of pastels and charcoal and I know the companies all say they don't yellow but in my experience they do. Now I have not tested the UVLS sprays from Golden on chalk but they work very well on colored pencil ,acrylic and collage so I would start there with the matte one of course.
If you like shiny the triple thick from Krylon is good on completely colored surfaces.
MJ
Old 10-12-2008, 07:35 PM
Inky the Muse

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryjomcgraw View Post
If you like shiny the triple thick from Krylon is good on completely colored surfaces.
MJ
I used this product to seal some glazed ceramic tiles I had stamped with StazOn & colored with Sharpies. They looked like those fancy art tiles with the thick clear glaze.
Old 10-12-2008, 10:21 PM
stampin stacy

Thanks MaryJo, I was talking about basic "workable" fixatives, I have never been sure what they really do and if they would make a difference in the end product or not; good or bad.

The past week has been a blast, thanks for taking time to answer our questions and share your knowledge and experience.
Old 10-13-2008, 01:00 PM
tzjewels

What is a UVLS polmer (golden).
Old 10-13-2008, 01:05 PM
artlover02

Hi Stampin Stacey - I usually use hairspray (aerosol can) - usually works okay. Chris
Old 10-13-2008, 08:19 PM
maryjomcgraw.blogspot.com

Default Chris is right

Hairspray is mostly alcohol and works great in most card situations and the cheaper it is the better, aerosol only though.
UVLS is a what many of the varnishes from GOLDEN paints contains to keep UV light from attacking painted and other colored surfaces. It is excellent I especially like the Polymer varnish with UVLS for my acrylic paintings(satin). It comes in aerosol versions and in true varnishes as well.
MJ
Old 10-13-2008, 09:22 PM
stampin stacy

Thanks MJ and everyone else who posted a reply I appreciate the help!!
Old 10-14-2008, 10:35 AM
Fliss

Definately Aerosol Hairspray for me. For many years now I have tried most mediums, but when DH (Interior Decorater) sealed one of my oil paintings with varnish! O.k. that was good of him! But why did he only seal half of it?
Since that little episode I have used the Hair Spray for Chalk sketching and everything else that needed it with great results.
Old 10-14-2008, 12:31 PM
artlover02

Thanks for the extra info MaryJo - and glad you think aerosol hairspray is okay. I used some Krylon fixative once and, apart from being quite expensive, it didn't come out in a very fine spray, so therefore left blobs, which took quite a while to dry. Hairspray dries in an instant. Chris x
Old 10-14-2008, 12:35 PM
artlover02

Hi Fliss - I use PVA for varnishing my oils and acrylics. It goes on white, but dries clear. I have a few of my paintings around that were varnished over 20 years ago and they still look fresh. Chris