Rubber Stamp Chat

Go Back   Rubber Stamp Chat > Library Archives > Guest Artist Archives > Ask MaryJo McGraw

Ask MaryJo McGraw Come on in and view the archives of our past visit with MaryJo McGraw.

Old 10-10-2008, 10:28 PM
stampin stacy

Default Do you use a fixative

Do you use a fixative and what brands do you like if so?
Old 10-11-2008, 08:13 PM
maryjomcgraw.blogspot.com

I do not use much in the way of fixatives with the exception of Micro Glazeon some stamped things and UVLS polmer (golden)varnish on paintings. Did you have something particular in mind?
MJ
Old 10-11-2008, 10:06 PM
Viva Las Vegastamps!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampin stacy View Post
Do you use a fixative and what brands do you like if so?
A little metamucil from time to time does the trick for me... oh, you said "fixative"... never mind...
http://vivalas.blogspot.com/
Old 10-11-2008, 10:41 PM

Stampo, maybe that's what your car needed.
Old 10-11-2008, 11:21 PM
Viva Las Vegastamps!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alsmouse View Post
Stampo, maybe that's what your car needed.
Yes, it might have made it go...
http://vivalas.blogspot.com/
Old 10-11-2008, 11:36 PM
stampin stacy

Just wondering about preserving some things longer term, especially chalked images. I have heard and read how wonderful and necessary fixatives are but have never used them and wondered if I should be. I pretty much use all mediums on my stuff from chalks to watercolor to pencils to markers and inks so sometimes I use micro glaze and sometimes not. Not every pieces needs/calls for that sheen.
Old 10-12-2008, 01:46 AM
Spideycindy

Location: I reside in Nice, California. Very rural but beautiful.

With charcoal I recall a fixative was ment to stop the product from lifting or smearing...the term "fix" as in to make it stay put but nowadays I am not sure if it means the same thing or not...The finish did not necessarily have to be a shiney or glossy finish it often was matte. Some fixatives were used as the final sealer and that was it but there are even some that are reworkable and that is intersting...we have come a long way from using just hairspray in a pinch. The contemporary term fixative may have changed so I could be wrong.
Old 10-12-2008, 04:59 AM
inklings

Morning -

Krylon has a number of products with options of UV protection, a glossy or matte finish, and they even have a "workable fixative" that allows you to protect work that is in progress. You can continue to work on your piece even after protecting a layer. They specifically mention charcoal, chalks and pencil for that one.

They all come in spray cans and I've found them in most craft stores. Can also order online. I've been very happy with their products, and like the range of options. I'm sure there are other fine brands as well - I just happen to know this one, is all.
Old 10-12-2008, 12:43 PM
Inky the Muse

Just remember to use any spray fixatives in a WELL ventilated area or go outside to spray. I place newspaper along my steps to cover them & then prop up or lay out what I want to spray. Projects featuring chalks, mica powders & wood veneer have all left their silhouettes on my front porch. I use matte acrylic sealer found in the hardware section near the paint. For some odd reason, spray sealer in the paint section is often cheaper than when I find it in the craft section. The same goes for sponge wedges, the pharmacy is cheaper. Go figure?
Old 10-12-2008, 12:59 PM
inklings

Great points, Inky -

Yes, I've seen the same silhouette phenomenon. Basically, you are fine-spraying a varnish... don't need that coating the inside of your nostrils or lungs!

And good tip about the different areas to find the best prices. It is funny how that happens. If you can think of a more "everyday" use for a hobby product that might mean you could find that product in another area or store, it is worth a look!