Rubber Stamp Chat

Go Back   Rubber Stamp Chat > Studio > Tips and Tutorials

Tips and Tutorials Learn new stamping techniques and projects. Ask how stamping techniques are done here.

Old 10-05-2008, 08:32 AM
One Eye Wonder

Default Found items you use in your card making?

I recently realized that the 'sleeves' they give you when you buy a cup of coffee on the inside are really fun looking (some are embossed & some are corrugated) , so I started saving them and using punches to make shapes with them.

Any found items you use?
Old 10-05-2008, 10:55 AM
Fliss

Ha Ha! I just love this one My DH disowns me when we are out and about I pick up broken jewelery, washers, screws, tyre flattened rusted cans, I also save beer bottle tops, soak off wine+beer labels as well as metal emblems (empties of course)! I also use cutters to remove the tops from wine bottles. I cannot pass a skip without checking out it's contents or pass a building site checking for wire and mesh along with the metal strips they use for holding some deliveries as well as some great metal plates for altering. A walk along the sea is great for picking up lolly sticks, coffee stirers (very handy), funcky paper cups! Need I go on?
You could say I am a bit of a magpie The sense of achievment is 'Priceless!!
Old 10-05-2008, 12:41 PM
stampin stacy

The corrugated sleeves can be very cool on a card, stamp a sentiment on an oval or round piece of cardstock that is smaller and layer it onto the sleeve. We had a recycle swap a few months ago and its amazing what you usually toss that can work on cards, we just have to remember to look first - then toss.
Old 10-05-2008, 12:55 PM
Audreyrose

Wink

What great ideas you have given me! I will never look at trash the same way. Recycle is the way to do it. Thank you the great ideas!
Old 10-05-2008, 11:08 PM
Spideycindy

Location: I reside in Nice, California. Very rural but beautiful.

Absolutely! Even veggie mesh bags and fun tags off clothing purchases are not overlooked or lost on me. Re-using found items is so much fun! Drink costers another fun items to save!
Spidey
Old 10-06-2008, 12:07 AM

In April I had hosted a Earthday card swap where the cards were to be "recycled". I sent off 2 cards that had all but the ink, adhesive, envie & stamp recycled. I would have recycled the envie but thought that was just a bit on the tacky side using a flipped utility billing envie. I'll probably do it next year.
I am a bit of a magpie too. I keep sweets wrappers, can poptops, plastic container parts, cardstock packaging, bits & bobs. I love getting the mail since I take the junk mail, cut off all the good colorful parts to use for cards. And the worst is I have the team at work keeping their eyes out for fun stuff that they think I may want to use for cards. If they go on vacation, I ask them to bring me a news paper, a magazine, odd paperbits, menus, stuff from these trips. I must admit i do get some neat stuff.
I think my best bits were from a coworker that brought back some kids readers written in Jordanian, a matchmakers personals ads, and a professional plastic surgon's guide all written in Farci. I have newspapers written in Chinese, Japanese & Hindi. I have choral books in Italian, German, Norwegian, Dutch, Russian, Chech, French, oh & English.
The team also knows that if we get anything in the way of a colorful printed booklet at work that they don't want or comes in a large envie, I send out a E asking for the unwanted ones to be dropped at my desk to be scavanged for parts for cards. I keep a whole file system of these parts just so I can make cards for work just using all thase scraps. The best part is the upper mgmt loves that I recycle all these things & save the co $$.

If anyone wants to host a swap using recycled bits on cards, let me know, I'll play for sure. I just have too much on my plate to host one more swap. ~C8>
Old 10-06-2008, 02:49 AM
stampwoman

This is truly amazing! I thought I kept everything! You have all given me great inspiration to look at things with a different eye. Very cool!
Old 10-06-2008, 07:15 AM
stampin stacy

If you like the look of metal tags and embellishments, don't forget the tops from coffee cans, yogurt, sour cream etc... Just be sure to wash well.

Need chipboard, use the box from cereal or crackers for example. You can either cover up the printed side or make it the back side that gets glued to your project.
Old 10-06-2008, 07:50 AM
Fliss

We recently purchased some 3ltr Wine boxes for our visitors (they do like a tipple)!
I could barely wait for them to guzzle the lot. The outer box was kept along with the tabs that pop out to reveal handles and the circle that pops out to reveal the pouring tap. The rest of the box is great for altered projects and better than chipboard which can also be roughly torn to reveal deep ridged cardboard which is the 'sandwiched' layer. It also comes with a plastic handle that can be attached to whatever with brads/glue and decorated.

Great way for saving pennies for the more important things in life! RUBBER

For some great backing papers, I have scanned lace tops, net curtains, DH's silk shirts, Ties, Vintage lace gloves, tops with foreign text and patterns on them, tease out fluffy coloured knitting wools, patterned skirts, cover your scanner with buttons, cut the hanging loop ribbon off of all clothing, unpick zips from old clothing, cut off small pockets and motifs from baby/children/adult clothing for use on cards/altered art.

So much fun to be had for FREE!
Old 10-06-2008, 08:22 AM
stampin stacy

And don't forget to check out any broken jewelry before tossing, its probably a keeper for sure.