Rubber Stamp Chat

Go Back   Rubber Stamp Chat > Library Archives > Guest Artist Archives > Ask MaryJo McGraw

Ask MaryJo McGraw Come on in and view the archives of our past visit with MaryJo McGraw.

Old 10-04-2008, 04:19 PM
Stampwrite

Question Where to re-start?

Hi Mary Jo-

I stamped for 10 years or so, and then got too busy with preparing our home to sell, moving to an island and then building a new home. After about 4 years, I'm ready to stamp again. I know I've missed a lot, and I don't have a clue as to what's happening in the stamping world these days. Also, I'm a $20 ferry ride away from all of the shopping. In Portland, I knew where everything was and where to buy it. Now I feel cut-off from my former resources. Any suggestions as where to start and how to catch up? Thanks!

Barbara
Old 10-04-2008, 05:36 PM
marstamper

I just restarted with what I had. Of course I have enough to have 3 or 4 stores fully stocked! LOL And I use mail order, because I live too far out to go to any stamp stores.
Old 10-04-2008, 05:48 PM

I was in the same position as you just a few months ago. I had been stamping for about 10 years and then took about 5 years off to tend to my kids and chocolate business. When I got back into it I just dug out all my old products and stamps and started playing. I bought some new magazines and got online to get a few new ideas. Then, of course, I found there were so many new products since I last stamped so my collecting has started once again. LOL And I'm sure hubby is wishing I never got back into this art. LOL
Old 10-04-2008, 06:18 PM
Viva Las Vegastamps!

It's like riding a bicycle... you never forget how... just pick up where you left off... and I"m one who's STILL into minimalistic stamping and don't have any of the new doodads and technology...
http://vivalas.blogspot.com/
Old 10-04-2008, 08:26 PM
maryjomcgraw.blogspot.com

There is not a lot that is new! Just get some friends together and start stamping. Pick a couple of things out of an old magazine or book and get going. I will bet there is a stamp club somewhere near by.

My favorite magazines for techniques these day are still Vamp Stamp News and Altered Arts but I will bet there are a few books and old magazines around the house.LOL

Last edited by maryjomcgraw; 10-04-2008 at 08:35 PM.
Old 10-04-2008, 08:34 PM
maryjomcgraw.blogspot.com

Head down to Stampin Cat in Salem it is a bit of a drive but worth it for classes. Lisa always has the latest stuff. www.stampincat.com
Get some girls together and teach them all to emboss . Nothing gets you going like showing others... everything will come back. Go to the convention there in March next year and meet up with everyone from this group!
commit to a swap while you're at it that gets you going and makes you stamp!
Started reading your old magazine and books and make yourself pick one technique to try every weekend!
That's where I would start! Have Fun and WELCOME BACK!
MJ
Old 10-05-2008, 01:03 PM
DemoDiva

Talking Starting Over...

Don't think of it as "starting over", but like it's just been a bit of a vacation. Almot all of us work with various crafts and jump around from one to another, and incoperating several of them together. If you live on an island you may not have good shopping or many sister stampers/crafters nearby....I live in a motorhome and travel from one location to another, sometimes big cities but more often outlying areas. I depend on the internet for my source of supplies, and also my place to learn (or re-learn) techniques.

The mail is another great source for me...from ATC swaps with both those I know and don't know from groups online. You can learn so many techniques and ideas from joining in swaps. I also subscribe to Vamp Stamp News for the same reasons, along with picking up other magazines at bookstores.

I find the internet the best place for me to keep "in the swim" of things when it comes to stamping today. I never seem to be in the right place at the right time for store lessons but do try to catch a convention somewhere each year.
Old 10-05-2008, 09:40 PM
Audreyrose

Wink

I started to stamp about 5 years ago just making Chrstmas cards for family and friends and got hooked I now live in Mexico and do not have resources as well. I can find paper and that is about it. I use the internet to order and friends send me things at times cause they know how much I love to stamp. Just start with simple things and advance. I am learning all the time and please feel free to enter a swap. They are great fun and you learn such new things and see some really cool ideas. The people here are great and very helpful!
Old 10-05-2008, 11:10 PM

If you are coming to Salem, let Stampwoman & myself know & we'll meet you at Stampin' Cat. Lisa is well equiped & if she doesn't have it is very willing to order. Most of the places in PDX you knew of may not exist or have changed a LOT! from what you knew them as. If you need info on something in the area give me a pm. I go up at least once a month so can update you or do a shop & drop.
Online is always an option too but getting a chance to play with the toys is so much more fun. March is the next convention & we can always meet there too. Don't forget the virtual convention this weekend. ~C8>
Old 10-06-2008, 11:14 PM
Stampwrite

Wow- lots of great ideas! Yes, I had enough stuff to stock about 5 stores, too. My goal was to get rid of at least 2/3 of it, but that didn't happen. I swear that stuff multiplies in the closets! I gave away two nearly new heat embossing tools, and lo and behold I still have two left. (I used to double up on everything so I could have a good selection in the motorhome when we traveled.)

I did go to Paper Zone in Tacoma today and bought cardstock and vellum. They didn't have any of the little anti-static pillows for embossing, and I tried three different stores before we ran out of time and had to catch the ferry back to the island. I finally phoned a store that had one, and they said they would save it for me until I go back to the mainland tomorrow. (We don't usually go into town so often, but we have appointments to keep this week.)

I doubt I'll get to Salem anytime soon. Are there still good stamp stores in Olympia and Lacey? I'd love to spend a Saturday taking some classes. Even when I already know how to do a certain project, I enjoy the camaraderie of being with other seasoned stampers.

I know what you mean about stores in PDX being gone. Some of them were like a second home to me when we lived there.

I pulled out three drawers of Christmas stamps and plan to teach an islander how to stamp. She's excited about making her own Christmas cards, and I'm excited about having a buddy to stamp with.

BTW, Mary Jo.... I've enjoyed your classes more than any other. I just found a card that you gave me, and I still love it. Thanks!