Rubber Stamp Chat

Go Back   Rubber Stamp Chat > Library Archives > Guest Artist Archives > Ask MaryJo McGraw

Ask MaryJo McGraw Come on in and view the archives of our past visit with MaryJo McGraw.

Old 10-04-2008, 07:16 AM
stampin stacy

Default Embossing Powders

We had a fairly new stamper her at RSC that was recently given several bottles of Embossing Powders but she has never done this before. How about sharing some of your best tips and tricks on this technique. It is a basic that everyone loves and probably will never go out of style and I know you have lots of knowledge on these little bottles of magic.
Old 10-04-2008, 08:58 PM
maryjomcgraw.blogspot.com

Default embossing

It usually is what gets everyone started in stamping since it looks so great when done right. I find that these are the biggest booboos folks make...

1 Not using a good wet pigment ink that matches the color of the powder. Most folks are taught to emboss using a clear type pad this is so wrong. Match the pigment ink as close as you can to the color of the powder. It will look richer and cover any mistakes more easily.

2. Not pouring on enough powder. dump the whole jar over the image DO NOT sprinkle the powder over the image. Getting the powder to cover the ink is key.
All the powder can get poured back in the jar.

3. Heat gun not low enough to the surface you are embossing. About half and inch and keep the gun moving slowly over the images. Just heat it till it turns shiny then pull away.

Remember... Most colored EP's are based in white so if you overheat them thy tend to turn a pasty gray -white. Metallics and clear or black are great for beginners!:
Old 10-07-2008, 04:40 AM
jfricker

Mary, what pigment ink do you like best for embossing?

Thanks

Joan

http://www.joanscreations.blogspot.com
Old 10-07-2008, 07:59 AM

I use mainly colorbox Chalk. I also have brilliance, and encore. Those are my 3 favorites.
MJ
Old 10-07-2008, 08:59 AM
Lynn Milliron

I apply a dryer sheet to my paper before I stamp it to emboss-but I still end up with may stray particles around the stamped image. Do you have any other suggestions of what I may be doing wrong?
Thanks, Lynn
Old 10-07-2008, 08:58 PM

Try a natural hair paint brush over the surface(like a color duster) It will get rid of static sometimes even better than the dryer sheet. Judikins even makes a sparkle sweeper for that exact purpose.
Also be sure to use a wet pigment ink and give the back of the paper a good whack on the back. Most people give the piece a gentle tap but some glossy papers are very clingy so give it a good flick on the back.
MJ
Old 10-08-2008, 06:22 AM

Interesting suggestion about using the matching ink MaryJo. On an intellectual leve it makes perfect sense, but I've never thought of it that way. I have noticed it using black and/or metallic powders, but it never sunk in with the other colors!

Another suggestion for helping with the stray specks of embossing powder sticking to the paper is cornstarch. I keep a little jar in my studio, spread it on the cardstock and tap it off before I stamp. It helps quite bit, although it's a challenge on dark cardstock. I, too, keep a soft-bristle paint brush nearby and use it to brush off stray pieces before I apply the heat.
Old 10-08-2008, 07:33 AM
stampin stacy

Quote:
use a wet pigment ink and give the back of the paper a good whack on the back
she ain't kidding when she says "a good whack" and you know what that it really works, as long as you used a juicy pad.