Rubber Stamp Chat

Go Back   Rubber Stamp Chat > Library Archives > Guest Artist Archives > Ask MaryJo McGraw

Ask MaryJo McGraw Come on in and view the archives of our past visit with MaryJo McGraw.

Old 10-08-2008, 10:33 AM

Thanks Debbie, makes sense. I started off selling both unmounted and mounted.

At least from my way of thinking (admittedly a beginner), I like how this allows nearly anyone to buy a stamp. Stampers or not. People who don't stamp much, or who are buying a gift, probably want them mounted. People with a thousand stamps probably want unmounted. Makes sense that people who attend shows are already hooked.

I also hope my designs attract people who might not stamp much, people who are nature enthusiasts in particular. As a former fungi illustrator, I know I have a real weakness for anything with mushrooms on it. I'd never pass up a nice morel.

Maggie
Old 10-09-2008, 07:56 AM
maryjomcgraw.blogspot.com

I wish you could come up and give me a mushroom lesson I have lots of different kinds!
MJ
Old 10-09-2008, 08:24 AM
wood veneer man

Hi Maggie,Thanks alot for offering your insight into starting a buissnes .I am in the process and wow do I have a lot to learn. Your tipps are great. I am trying to get a nitche started with postcards out of wood veneer .How much buisness do I need to have before I can justify going to a show and start selling.

Thanks alot,
Wood veneer man

Last edited by wood veneer man; 10-09-2008 at 08:25 AM. Reason: add words
Old 10-11-2008, 11:19 PM

Wood veneer man,

I really can't say regarding how much business you'd need. I have yet to do this myself. I'm guessing it depends on the cost of a booth/table and travel expenses. Personally, I am starting off with a popular local Christmas bazaar. There is a fairly low fee for a table.

MaryJo has all the experience, I was mostly wondering the same thing myself.

Maggie
Old 10-12-2008, 05:08 PM
maryjomcgraw.blogspot.com

Talking Going to shows as a vendor

Well this is a tough question...If most vendors knew what they were up against. Let me break it down not to scare you but to be realistic and so you all know what it really takes to be a vendor.
First off you need to be making a profit on your goods before you get to a show. So lets say your new product costs you with raw materials, packaging and labor 50cents to make you need to sell that item in your booth for $2(retail) now I know that sounds high but you have to also pay the electricity and other costs that you usually do not take into account like insurance etc oh and pay yourself. If you go to a show you'll ended up paying a booth fee and travel expenses as well as shipping your goods and booth so lets pretend your small booth fee is $500 shipping 4 trunks of goods maybe $350 hotel for 4 days at a cheap hotel double occupancy (cause who wants to go alone?) plus taxes $400, meals on the cheap $240 more if you drink airfare or gas lets be on the low side $300 and last but not least the coast of your actual goods( you had to make it for the show right?) $500 so your costs before you even get there is $2290 will you make that at your first show? probably not. but if you were very lucky and had an awesome product and a demonstrator or free make &take (which will cost you) you might make a bit over that and as you can see you are going to have to sell at least of one item @$2 thats a lot of one item.
The most of any one stamp I have ever sold at a show was 52.
Hope I haven't discouraged you! Most 1st time vendors without any of this knowledge so ignorance is bliss.
Now I know some of the vendors will say I don't spend that much on ----- but this is an average over the last 20 years and I would guess I am really on the low side of things.
MJ
PS you might need to also rent a car and have extra insurance for travel, life and hope to GOD your stuff that you shipped last week arrives at the destination !