Rubber Stamp Chat

Go Back   Rubber Stamp Chat > Library Archives > Guest Artist Archives > Ask MaryJo McGraw

Ask MaryJo McGraw Come on in and view the archives of our past visit with MaryJo McGraw.

Old 10-11-2008, 02:42 PM
Spideycindy

Location: I reside in Nice, California. Very rural but beautiful.

The binders did not work so well for me and I even got a zip one to be sure they did not fall out...not all were ez mounted tho so that may have been the reason. I have some mixed up types...oh well the cd cases seem to do good if I can just stick to them...I have two huge tall iris carts packed full of wood mounts to undo and the count is not up to Inky but is staggering...and I don't dare tell...Do you put your wood mounts in the microwave to soften them up to unmount them? I have not actually pulled any off the wood blocks and some will remain mounted on wood for the artistic beauty/craftsmanship of the stamp...as in Meer Image Stamps they are art as stand alones...The binder will serve well for the too large to go into CD Cases tho...
Old 10-11-2008, 03:26 PM
Inky the Muse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spideycindy View Post
The binders did not work so well for me and I even got a zip one to be sure they did not fall out...not all were ez mounted tho so that may have been the reason. I have some mixed up types...oh well the cd cases seem to do good if I can just stick to them...I have two huge tall iris carts packed full of wood mounts to undo and the count is not up to Inky but is staggering...and I don't dare tell...Do you put your wood mounts in the microwave to soften them up to unmount them? I have not actually pulled any off the wood blocks and some will remain mounted on wood for the artistic beauty/craftsmanship of the stamp...as in Meer Image Stamps they are art as stand alones...The binder will serve well for the too large to go into CD Cases tho...
I usually just pick around the edge where the rubber meets the foam until I find a spot that lets go. Corners seem to be easiest. I'm continually surprised at how easy it is to peel rubber from mounting foam on most stamps! Sometimes a little foam is stuck to the back but I just rub it with my thumb & it usually rolls up into a booger & comes right off. If the foam is being stubborn about letting go you can nuke the stamp or use Undo then give the rubber a good bath with glycerine soap to get the undo off before it damages the rubber. If you do nuke your stamps to get them off the foam you need to remember 2 important things 1) BE CAREFUL!!! The wood heats up too & can burn you when you pick it up, even after only 5-7 seconds in the microwave. 2) The back of the rubber die will be sticky after you peel it off the foam, so you should either immediately stick it to it's new mounting material (ez mount, loop tape, whatever) or go into a warm glycerine soap bath to remove the adhesive or you'll collect a gazzilion fuzzies & have to wash them anyway before you can use them again.

Meer Image stamps are indeed beautifully mounted & deserve to stay that way, besides, Steven does such a thorough job that to unmount his stamps means risking destroying the rubber as the adhesive he uses does NOT dry out & let go like what most manufacturer's use. In fact, any stamp mounted on red rubbery cushion is probably better off left mounted.

Let me know if you'd like any other helpful handy tips on unmounting your stamps to save on storage space. I think I've probably undone several thousand stamps by now.
Old 10-11-2008, 03:42 PM
Stamp Hoarder

I've never had to put any in the microwave. All mine have peeled off very easily after just picked at one edge. I mean, they pull off slicker than snot!

I agree, sometimes the blocks are works of art....so I used some of my favorites to make a collage for my craft room. Thanks to Shannon (scrapaholic007) for the great idea. I just posted it in the gallery. I still have to put some finishing touches on it, but you can get the idea.