Rubber Stamp Chat

Go Back   Rubber Stamp Chat > Library Archives > Guest Artist Archives > Ask MaryJo McGraw

Ask MaryJo McGraw Come on in and view the archives of our past visit with MaryJo McGraw.

Old 10-03-2008, 10:55 PM
maryjomcgraw.blogspot.com

Default Here are the only inks I would use on CLEAR!!!!!

Plain dye like MArvy or distress inks old style pigment (colorbox original) or acrylic paint! I know people will freak and argue but I have tested these ink on samples of polymer stamps.
NO INDIA ink it has solvent no ancient page, no chalk , no brilliance nothing that is pigment that dries without heating basically if it dries on non porous surfaces it has some kind of solvent in it to help it evaporate.
MJ
Old 10-04-2008, 01:19 PM
Inky the Muse

It's SO nice to be able to ask an experienced expert!
Old 10-07-2008, 04:46 AM
jfricker

I think one of the secrets to using clear stamps is to rough it up a bit the first time you used it. By this I mean cleaning it with a safe cleaner for clear stamps and then rub it pretty hard over the scrubber/cleaner. If you still have a problem take an eraser and go over the image and then clean again with the cleaner solution. It works for me and made a big difference on the stamped images. This tip came from Sharon Johnson at No Time to Stamp and was very helpful to me.

Joan

http://www.joanscreations.blogspot.com
Old 10-08-2008, 06:13 AM

I'm pretty much a rubber girl too, although I do have some clear stamps. I've had the same challenges discussed here and I absolutely love StazOn ink. I've used it on the acrylic stamps thinking (but not knowing) that it may damage them because it's solvent-based. I also have an issue with cleaning the darn things. I'm really not as concerned about the "look" of the dirty stamp as I am about the ink colors mixing the next time I use the stamp (and they do mix sometimes if they're not clean when I use them). I'll probably continue to use them off and on, but the VAST majority of my stamps are also rubber.
Old 10-08-2008, 02:58 PM

Well, I guess I'm in the minority here...I use both clear and rubber stamps equally. I normally don't have any trouble with either making great impressions. If I do it's normally operator error.

For the most part I use Ranger Brand Inks as well as a few chalk inks so I don't know if other inks make a difference. Oh and I use Archival Ink from Ranger instead of Staz-On inks. It is waterproof and works on slick surfaces without the smell of Staz-On.
Old 10-11-2008, 10:37 AM
Stamp Hoarder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spideycindy View Post
Are all acrylic stamps created equal?
Spidey
I don't think they are. Just like all rubber isn't the same. I have mostly rubber, but I have quite a few acrylic stamps too. Some of them I can't get a good image to save my life, no matter what ink I use. And some of them stamp so well I could kiss them! LOL But then, I have those issues sometimes with the rubber ones too.
Old 10-11-2008, 11:53 AM
Spideycindy

Location: I reside in Nice, California. Very rural but beautiful.

I have mostly rubber but I have indulged into a few clear purchases because they amused my muse but I admit that rubber is my first passion...as for passing my legacy to someone down the road I already have had rubber stamps go hard and no longer supple for stamping... I will try to recondition them with glycerin but the most important thing is to enjoy them and be happy with what I am doing without intention of destroying anything in the process.
I live in hot weather and my studio is in our garage...I cannot control the heat or store all my treasures in the house unfortunately...no space without a major mutiny to the family harmony...perhaps when I go 100% ums with them then maybe but for now...
MaryJo your information is so valuable to me I cannot thank you enough for taking the time to supply us with excellent information!
Amy this was a brilliant site to visit!
Old 10-11-2008, 12:04 PM
Stamp Hoarder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spideycindy View Post
I live in hot weather and my studio is in our garage...I cannot control the heat or store all my treasures in the house unfortunately...no space without a major mutiny to the family harmony...perhaps when I go 100% ums with them then maybe but for now...
Ack! I live in Phoenix....our average humidity is like 9% and highs in the summer are over 114 degrees. I'd sleep out in the garage before I'd store my little rubber babies out there!! Cindy, isn't your family familiar with the term...When Mama Ain't Happy, Ain't Nobody Happy!

If you need help um them give me a shout! I'd love to come play in your rubber!
Old 10-11-2008, 01:22 PM
Spideycindy

Location: I reside in Nice, California. Very rural but beautiful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theresagram View Post
Ack! I live in Phoenix....our average humidity is like 9% and highs in the summer are over 114 degrees. I'd sleep out in the garage before I'd store my little rubber babies out there!! Cindy, isn't your family familiar with the term...When Mama Ain't Happy, Ain't Nobody Happy!

If you need help um them give me a shout! I'd love to come play in your rubber!
I have been eyeballing space in the house and have some plans in the work for personal space but I never seem to stop wanting to play first...I purchased some cd cases and split the purchase with my sil. I will need to reorder I am afraid but have a good source for them thanks to a post here and will be working on it as I can...I know they are my precious tools of passion...I had them in my kitchen area once but too much direct sun so that was not good either. I do live in a tiny place!...I shall find a way!
Spideycindy
Old 10-11-2008, 01:31 PM
Stamp Hoarder

I'm still trying to get all mine unmounted. I have maybe 600 or so to go. I'm finding that I can fit about 1200 um in the space it used to take 300 mounteds. I store mine in 3 ring binders on EZ Mount and some of my binders have around 100 stamps in them. Right now my craft room is a mess because I need cupboards and counters, but the binders fit nicely on a shelf in my closet.