Rubber Stamp Chat

Go Back   Rubber Stamp Chat > Library Archives > Guest Artist Archives > Ask MaryJo McGraw

Ask MaryJo McGraw Come on in and view the archives of our past visit with MaryJo McGraw.

Old 10-03-2008, 07:53 AM
Mumgranny

Default Clear Acrylic stamps

I have trouble with these stamps. My ink seems to 'pool' up and I don't get a solid image. Use Versamark Fine Detail Ink, SU Classic ink, CTMH ink - doesn't seem to make a difference. Any suggestions?
Old 10-03-2008, 09:42 AM
Viva Las Vegastamps!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumgranny View Post
I have trouble with these stamps. My ink seems to 'pool' up and I don't get a solid image. Use Versamark Fine Detail Ink, SU Classic ink, CTMH ink - doesn't seem to make a difference. Any suggestions?
B U Y R U B B E R !
http://vivalas.blogspot.com/
Old 10-03-2008, 10:50 AM
stmpstone

Default I'm with Stampo

I know the clear stamps are cheaper and they have some cute images, but I pass them by. I don't get a clear imprint even when I put the foam sheet underneath. Everytime I've had to use them, somebody else had to stamp them for me.

I'm an all rubber girl and I'm sticking to 'em.

Claudia
Old 10-03-2008, 10:58 AM
Spideycindy

Location: I reside in Nice, California. Very rural but beautiful.

Are all acrylic stamps created equal?
I recently did a project for a tag swap and used an acrylic stamp and had really good results on a rather long run...the only problems I had were when I did not press equally over the entire image. Not unlike rubber there...The staining of the stamp was a bit less wonderful but I love that image and will use it alot. I love that particular mfgr and have used their images on many projects but maybe it was just luck of the ink I used. I did not use pigment on that particular project.
If I like/love an image I would likely purchase it. I confess I do not have alot of clear stamps.
Spidey
Old 10-03-2008, 11:48 AM
Inky the Muse

Cheryl of Onyxpressions recommends we use chalk ink the first time we use new polymer stamps. She's right! I tried it with a clear stamp that was not giving me a good impression on scrap paper (beading & blopping ink) & after cleaning the chalk ink off I tried again using regular dye in and it worked much better.

Even tho' I've added many clear stamps to my collection recently, I'm still a rubber gal at heart. The life expectancy is one issue & the impression quality is another. I'm a big StazOn fan & not being able to use these inks on polymer is a tad limiting to my creativity, but I persevere as most of the polymer images I have aren't available in rubber.

HTH
Old 10-03-2008, 12:15 PM
RSMaker

G-O-L-L-Y (and you betcha) Jenna ~

I wish I could claim credit for that hint; but that hint applies to my BBR (beautiful, black rubbah). I've only used polymer / clear /acrylic - whatever - stamps one time, and that was way in their earlier days. Since I was not impressed (pun intended ) then, I have stayed away from clear so have no hints to share.

I just read somewhere today that a stamper had great luck with clears by first rubbing stamp cleaner all over the surface, then drying and using. Seems each type of stamp may react a bit differently to the chemicals.

I also read that it's OK to use solvent-based inks with the clears, but not the cleaner; it's too harsh. I suppose if you ink, stamp and clean right away with Simple Green/H2O solution, it would work.

Cheryl
Old 10-03-2008, 12:17 PM
Inky the Muse

Well I give you credit for it 'cause it worked!!!
Old 10-03-2008, 08:02 PM
Di611

Rubber all the way! the only clear stamps I would use are alphabets for easy placement, (don't like the little ones, afraid I'll loose one letter then the set is shot) otherwise I don't like clear, they don't ink well but always stain. I have had them rip in half trying to get them off the sheet they came on, have had some that just wouldn't stick to the mount. and have had some that were SO sticky, they ripped the felt pad right out of the ink pad case!
As far as rubber, when I was at home, I would buy the ums. and mount myself on blocks, now not so much time. only buy rubber on wood. I can grab it, stamp it, done, Lasts way longer and you can do more techniques with rubber like stamping in hot UTEE

Di
Old 10-03-2008, 08:51 PM
Cyndi Evans

I use clear stamps and I use a ink called India it is black and gives me a clean image. I love the clear stamps I have bought from Inkadinkadoo. I have no problems with them. Cyndi
Old 10-03-2008, 10:47 PM
maryjomcgraw.blogspot.com

Default Here is where I will get beat up!!!

I ...like Stampo and many old school stampers do not use polymer(clear) stamps. Booger stamps.
1 I can't use most of the inks I like because...not everyone will tell you this but most of the newer inks have some solvents in them which means you should not use them on clear stamps. Solvent will eventually eat polymer, it may not happen all at once but any solvent will degrade the polymer, period.
2. they do not last... rubber is forever and I am a collector as much as I am a stamper so plastics hold no value to me. I know they say they last and some of it may last but most of the stuff I have seen gets gummy after just a little use. Not that yellowing would matter to me but they all claim not to yellow and I have not met a polymer stamp that doesn't and if they lie to you about that then what else are they lying about.
BTW Chalk ink has a bit of solvent which may help with the problem of inking now by roughing up the surface but leaving it on may cause more damage down the line. Most of these problems stem from the polymer being poorly made.
SOOOO try acrylic paint to rough up the surface instead a thin coat will help and don't clean your polymer with anything harsher than a mild soap and water. Simple green should be fine.
MJ