Rubber Stamp Chat

Go Back   Rubber Stamp Chat > Library Archives > Guest Artist Archives > Ask MaryJo McGraw

Ask MaryJo McGraw Come on in and view the archives of our past visit with MaryJo McGraw.

Old 10-03-2008, 06:48 AM

Default What are your thoughts on the "future" of stamping?

Hi MaryJo! I missed having you in Rhinebeck (which is why I'm asking this question). I know you mentioned you see the merging of "art" and "stamping", and I loved your DVD that addresses the use of art materials (sorry I don't remember the specific title <Debbie blushes>), but I'm wondering what you see in the future of stamping in and of itself. I'm still seeing a TON of companies and stores leave the industry or get bought out by the "big" companies, and I was really sorry to see how few vendors were at the last show in my area. I also suspect the stamping people are working actively to get the scrapbookers to use stamps, and "cardmaking" seems to be on the upswing.

What else can we expect from the stamping industry in the near and not-so-near future? At least, what do you see and hear from the vendors and industry leaders? Thanks in advance for your perspective; great to see you here. (Now I'm going to go read your blog....)
Old 10-03-2008, 07:07 AM
maryjomcgraw.blogspot.com

In the industry we all see this as the shaking down of the companies. It has happened before and is likely to happen again. To set your mind at ease I have been doing this 20 years and the three companies I started with are still in business! The folks I bought my first stamp from is still here just under a new name.
So just understand that companies come and go but the truly commited are still here and there are more of us every day!
Old 10-03-2008, 07:27 AM
stampin stacy

I heard something on the news this week that while most areas of crafting on on a downward turn, paper crafts are still on the rise. They said this was partly because paper crafts are cheaper and more readily available and historically always become the craft in a "down" economy. Have you seen this to be true?
Old 10-03-2008, 11:02 AM
stmpstone

Default stamping vs the economy

As many of you know I'm a demonstrator with The Angel Company.

At our last Seminar, we were told that this economy keeps people at home and stamping. They are calling them STAYcations. I don't think this business has suffered much with the economy at all. Stamps are something that can be used over and over and that makes it a good investment.
This is my opinion but I'm not worried about the direction of rubber stamps. I'm sure it will be around longer than I will.

By the way, MaryJo, I'll look for you in Riverside. Save me a hug.
A group of us will be heading to town from Las Vegas.
Claudia
Old 10-03-2008, 11:19 AM

Are you refering to the January show in Riverside? Maybe some of us from the forums could meet there at lunch time? Or at one of the vendor booths? Perhaps by all wearing some common color or name tag or other identifier?
Old 10-03-2008, 11:21 AM

Question for MaryJo: What do you think of the clear stamps as opposed to rubber. I know they won't last as long but I'm 70. Longevity is no longer my highest priority even though my mom made it to 98.
Old 10-03-2008, 11:24 PM

Default rubber rubber rubber

I only use rubber because I believe in its longterm value so that when I am gone my daughter can sell these suckers ! Have you checked on ebay what some of these stamps go for???
Clear stamps are unlikely to hold that kind of value!

MJ
Old 10-03-2008, 11:25 PM

BTW see you guys in RIVERSIDE! Hey Claudia it will be great to see you there.
MJ