Rubber Stamp Chat

Go Back   Rubber Stamp Chat > Studio > Tips and Tutorials

Tips and Tutorials Learn new stamping techniques and projects. Ask how stamping techniques are done here.

Old 07-05-2008, 04:00 PM
Audreyrose

Wink Dominos

I may sound a little stupid, but Ihave seen that many of you use dominos to stamp on. How do you do that? Quit laughing all of you , as I am a little challenged in the way things are done . I only have attended one stamp convention and as I have told you all before, there is nothing here. I am putting things in a gallery and I thought those would be different.
Thanks for any info,
Audrey
Old 07-05-2008, 06:03 PM
Viva Las Vegastamps!

You can stamp directly on the dominos (the white side) with a permanent ink like StazOn and color in with chalks or just about anything if you spray with Krylont (or hair spray in a pinch) or if you want, you can rough it up a bit with a nail file or bleach before stamping on it... you can drill a small hole in it and use it for jewelry... they come in many different shapes and sizes...
http://vivalas.blogspot.com/
Old 07-05-2008, 07:09 PM
Audreyrose

Wink

Thanks for the heads up! I will check out the ones here in Mexico to see if I will need to paint the backs white. I have no Stazon ink here, so will have to see what else might work. Any suggestions? I have pigment inks and I do have dye inks. I believe that the dye inks might work easier as the pigment ones don't want to dry. I have done tiles using pigment inks and even after baking them in the oven have had to spray them with transparent enamel spray. (the only kind I can get here)
I appreciate the help
Old 07-05-2008, 07:29 PM
Viva Las Vegastamps!

Audrey,
I've done them with Kaleidacolor pads (dye ink) and then sprayed them... you don't have to use a whole stamp on the domino... just an interesting part of it...
Old 07-06-2008, 12:21 AM
Spideycindy

Location: I reside in Nice, California. Very rural but beautiful.

Audrey go to the link showing Yankiwi for more inspiration. They have bamboo kits and show work in their gallery stamping on bamboo tiles and the results are lovely! Perhaps stain might work on Bamboo tile stamping and maybe crackle finishes... The tiles are available in two sizes and are pre-drilled. Some products you just may have to try to order online? Good luck Audrey. Check out games for dominoes they are not actually wood the ones I have seen stamped on more like a plastic?
Spideycindy
PS several of the venders here sell small stamps especially for Dominos...Stamp LaJolla, Yankiwi, many more or like Stampo said edit a large stamp and stamp part of it...also alcohol inks work great on dominoes for a base color then stamp with a black ink...stazon is really best, then seal it good.
Old 07-06-2008, 12:36 PM
Viva Las Vegastamps!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audreyrose View Post
Thanks for the heads up! I will check out the ones here in Mexico to see if I will need to paint the backs white. I have no Stazon ink here, so will have to see what else might work. Any suggestions? I have pigment inks and I do have dye inks. I believe that the dye inks might work easier as the pigment ones don't want to dry. I have done tiles using pigment inks and even after baking them in the oven have had to spray them with transparent enamel spray. (the only kind I can get here)
I appreciate the help
We have some Staz-On colors fifty percent off in our Bargain Basement right now... we have other colors at regular price too but were way overstocked in those colors. If anyone is as old as I am and remembers Totie Fields, I remember her on Ed Sullivan saying she couldn't resist a bargain... said she found some nylons on sale because the seam was on the front (when nylons had seams) and said that for 99 cents, she'd learn to walk backwards. LOL
Old 07-06-2008, 06:23 PM
Audreyrose

Wink

Very cute comment anout Toti Fields, I remember her. I guess I am older than I want to be! I have been making coasters using tiles and alcohol inks. I stamp themthen bake them then spray them with transparent enamel paint to seal. They really turn out nice. I will look into the dominos here and see what they have. Thanks for all the advice.
Old 07-12-2008, 10:18 AM
Stamp Hoarder

Hey, I am young and I remember Toti Fields!

AudreyRose, I soak my dominoes in bleach overnight. That takes off the coating and makes it so your ink will work nicely on it. You can color with markers, paint or whatever.

You should move to Az. We have lots of stamp conventions. I'm in the Phoenix area.
Old 07-12-2008, 10:32 AM
Audreyrose

Wink

Thanks for the info on the bleaching of the dominos. I may just try that. I have a friend who went to the states and will be back in about 2 weeks who is bringing me some stazon ink.
Now about AZ, thanks but no thanks. could not live in the US on my hubbies social security and we love it here. I do miss the convience of some of the things in the US like getting stamping stuff and having the accessibility to those things and also for the ocnventions. I do what I can with what I've got and iti s ok. I just love the availability to be able to talk with all of you and share ideas and get tips that I would normally not get here. Thank you all for being my online friends!
Love ya all,
Audrey
Old 07-12-2008, 10:48 AM
Stamp Hoarder

I hope you'll post your dominoes when you get them done.