Rubber Stamp Chat

Go Back   Rubber Stamp Chat > Studio > Tips and Tutorials

Tips and Tutorials Learn new stamping techniques and projects. Ask how stamping techniques are done here.

Old 05-11-2008, 04:39 PM
Hopelessly addicted!

Default coloring solid stamps

Many of my stamps are solid, so coloring is not much of an option. What do you do to add some come color when you use this kind of stamps?
Old 05-11-2008, 05:21 PM
StamPoor

Susi, you usually add the color directly to the rubber with Tombow or Marvy brush markers and then make your imprint on the page. For instance, if you have an apple with leaves, you can color just the leaves green, then color the apple red and maybe even add a patch of yellow along the "cheek" of the apple. The yellow marker will pick up a bit of the red you already used, but you should be able to brush it on a piece of scrap paper a few times until the red is gone. Then, when you stamp the image, you'll have a red apple with a yellow highlight and green leaves. I hope that's what you wanted to know and that the instructions are clear. By using the brush markers, you can add all the colors you want to any bold stamp. You just have to be a bit careful where the colors meet.
Old 05-11-2008, 05:24 PM
StamPoor

P.S. I forgot one more thing... after you color the image but before you actually stamp with it, hold the rubber near your mouth and "huff" (breathe out hard) on it to moisten the ink a bit. You'll generally get a better imprint.
Old 05-11-2008, 05:55 PM
Viva Las Vegastamps!

Some companies' stamps have to be roughed up with an emery board on those big solid areas to absorb the ink as they use a release thingie like Pam to make them come out of the molds easier... not ours, of course, but if you're not getting even coverage... think Posh Impressions... you need the emery board... we used to give them away free at conventions to use with other companies' stamps. The huffing on the stamp before stamping is best described as a cat coughing up a hairball. LOL
http://vivalas.blogspot.com/
Old 05-11-2008, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stampo View Post
The huffing on the stamp before stamping is best described as a cat coughing up a hairball. LOL
Is that to include the following slimey fur wad too?? ~C8>
Old 05-11-2008, 07:01 PM

Another idea, depending on the image and intended effect, is to use a rainbow pad, like Kaleidacolor. Or make a colored background with any of a number of techniques, and then stamp the image onto the background in black for dramatic effect.

Kate
Old 05-11-2008, 07:10 PM

Another technique is to pick a main color & stamp it then pick another color & gently daub it around the outer edge of the stamp. If you are careful you can even use more than one color around the edge.
Old 05-11-2008, 08:20 PM
Viva Las Vegastamps!

or stamp with a pigment pad and then emboss the whole thing!
http://vivalas.blogspot.com/
Old 05-11-2008, 08:34 PM

or, ink the entire stamp with one color of slow drying ink and then use another stamp to remove some of the ink on the bold solid image.

.....i have a big pumpkin shape, i ink it with pigment ink then using a background stamp of allover small polkadots i stamp the inked pumpkin with the uninked dot and the rubber from the polka dot stamp lifts the ink in the dot shapes from the pumpkin stamp, huff, and stamp the pumpkin onto paper as usual. Or you can actually wiggle, drag, swirl, the stamp you are using to remove the ink while it's on the bold stamp and get a very different effect.

Or you can comb the ink while it's wet on the stamp too.

Last edited by j3annin3; 05-11-2008 at 08:41 PM.
Old 05-11-2008, 08:38 PM
Inky the Muse

I found that coloring a solid image twice yielded better results than using just one coat of ink. Using the apple example: I color the leaf green then the apple red. Then I go back & color the leaf again & the apple again. The first layer of ink often has dried by the time I color again, but that's ok. I then huff & stamp. The results are much bolder with rich color.