Rubber Stamp Chat

Go Back   Rubber Stamp Chat > Studio > Tips and Tutorials

Tips and Tutorials Learn new stamping techniques and projects. Ask how stamping techniques are done here.

Old 03-27-2008, 06:54 PM

Default Copic Markers

Has anyone here used these before. They are supposed to be so much better than Tombow's because they don't fade. They are pricey though, so I wanted some opinions before I dove in!

Cathy
Old 03-27-2008, 09:50 PM

If you do a search under Copic markers four threads come up with information.

I'm still keeping my other markers and my prismacolor pencils 'cause I like lots of coloring options.
Old 03-28-2008, 06:50 AM

I was just wondering if anyone had any personal experience with them. I'm not planning on replacing all of my other coloring tools, just planning on possibly adding more. But at $5 a marker, I wanted to know if they were worth it.
Old 03-28-2008, 08:15 AM

If you go to my gallery you'll see the hearts ATC with the birds in a cage and a nest. This was done with Copics - the sparkle of the paper comes through the copic markers, very kewl! The colors are just more intense than you can get with dye markers (watercolors) and you can 'erase' or blend with the copic blending pen.

Gina K has discovered that you can color a stamp with the copic markers, mist with rubbing alcohol and get the same results that you would with dye-based markers.
Old 03-28-2008, 08:20 AM

Wow, I'm liking the results! I think I'm going to splurge then! Thanks for the info!
Cathy
Old 03-28-2008, 09:22 AM

The pens come in 3 sizes. There is the big squared off ones, a monster 1.5 inch wide one & a smaller,easier to handle oval one that is usually cheaper by about a buck. I've tried the smaller one and like it better than the big one. I do like the fact they are refillable but haven't seen an offering for the refills. At work they are the hot item for the Anima artists. They like the intensity of the colors for the cartoons. I'm still waiting to give full judgement at this point, since I'm still playing with them & as it seems a rather pricey pen. Maybe the price will drop after the initial interest subsides. And for those that want more info there's their link.
www.copicmarker.com
~C8>
Old 03-28-2008, 06:21 PM

I also bought the smaller ones 'cause that's what the LSS initially stocked on their shelves and they are a buck or more cheaper. It's worth reading the literature on them, what the 'codes' on the colors mean, etc. I'm liking them because I seem to be able to control my coloring better than with dye markers.

But, I do have to remember which cardstock to use, what type of ink for the initial image and make sure it's dry (alcohol and alcohol creates mud!), etc.

The best advise I've seen is to buy a few (so for spring play I'm working with my three pinks and a couple of yellows, for instance) and play with them so you haven't invested tons of money and don't feel badly if they just don't work for you.
Old 03-28-2008, 07:34 PM
Stacia

Is there a good place to buy these markers at a good price????
Old 03-28-2008, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacia View Post
Is there a good place to buy these markers at a good price????
It depends on where you are. city/state please. ~C8>
Old 03-29-2008, 08:11 AM
stampin stacy

Lots of places/companies are starting to carry them. My local stamp store, Imprints in Fort Worth just ordered a bunch of them when they were at CHA and are having a class on how to use and blend them in April. Ann is right it will depend on where you live, don't forget to check out Art Supply stores too.

BTW, welcome to RSC Stacia, I like your name ,