Rubber Stamp Chat

Go Back   Rubber Stamp Chat > Studio > Tips and Tutorials

Tips and Tutorials Learn new stamping techniques and projects. Ask how stamping techniques are done here.

Old 03-01-2008, 05:10 PM
stampin stacy

Default Easy backgrounds

With all the new stampers and some that have taken the hobby up again here at RSC, I thought we could share some easy basic background making techniques.

Leaf/Flower Pounding

Take a leaf or flower, place between 2 pieces of paper and then pound with a hammer. The natural pigment transfers to the paper and you get an image of what you were pounding. The object you pound needs to be somewhat flat though for this to work, and not to wet/juicy either. Pansies work really well and so do rose petals but not the whole rose since it's too thick. The flowers need to be fresh also, dried out and there's not enough moisture to transfer the color.

Kids old enough to use a hammer even love to do this one. Boy can you work out frustrations with this one.
Old 03-01-2008, 05:20 PM
Audreyrose

Thaks Staqcy,
I have never heard of that one, I know that I have been stamping for a while but there is still so much I don't know, even simple things like the backgrounds. I will definatey try this one!
Old 03-01-2008, 06:12 PM
TimeforT

Another background... pull cardboard box paper apart. Use the ridged side to paint on and then press on your paper. gives a rippled effect. Use a second piece of cardboard painted a different color for a 2-toned look!
Old 03-01-2008, 09:04 PM
Audreyrose

You guys keep posting these things I have not tried and I will have to copy them all and give them a try. Actually I think that is a great idea. So glad I thought of that!!
When you use the paint is it acrylic? I found a store here in Chapala that sells the small craft bottles of acrylic paint I have never tried to do anything with it. Anymore suggestions? I'll take all I can get! No that I have a clean studio I am more than ready to create!
Old 03-01-2008, 10:20 PM

Cover work surface with a decent layer of protective covering (newspaper works well). Using 2 sheets of glossy paper, lay down bands or drops of acrylic paints on a random pattern on one sheet. place the 2ed sheet of glossy paper on top & pat down a bit, grab the corners of the sheets & pull apart. let dry on a flat surface. This is rather messy but gives some fun backgrounds. Also try this using black glossy paper & metallic paints. The cheap paints are great for this technique.
You can also use regular card stock, fold in half, reopen & place a selection of paints on the one side & fold the other side over. reopen quickly as this has a tendency to get sticky fast & you have a colorful version of the Rorschach ink blots.
Have fun with these two backgrounds. ~C8>
Old 03-01-2008, 10:20 PM
Hopelessly addicted!

here's a couple more easy backgrounds....
1. take a piece of text paper, (cheap dictionaries are good for this!) and put a small glob of paint on the upper left corner, then using an old credit card, pull the paint down rapidly, it should thin out enough so can see the text underneath. then do this 2 more times with 2 more colors, in the center, and on the upper right corner. The colors blend and the results are very pretty. experiment with different different colors etc. I made really cool bkgrds with gold and tan paint, and when it was dry, I stamped silver paint using a foam flourish stamp. the results were stunning!
2. use cheap dollar store masking tape (the stuff that doesn't stick well) and lay strips of it on music paper or text paper. don't press on it heavily and leave a tail up. grab the tail, and quickly but carefully pull it off the paper. you should be able to see faint print on the top of the tape. tape these strips on white cs. do one strip of tape on the book page at a time, and place it in different directions. then you dab on ink with a make up sponge and heat set it. I used this technique the atc with the woman on a green bkgrnd that is in my gallery you have to play around with it a bit, but it fun and interesting to see the results you come up with. you can also use clear packing tape, and color with alcohol inks, but I've tried that... I have done picture transfers with packing tape though.
3. faux paste paper - paint cs with one color of paint. drag a fork acroos and up and down while the paint is still wet, making a cross hatch pattern, and let dry.

I could go on and on, but I have a better idea.... google trish bee, and go to her website... she loves making atcs and backgrounds and has tons of ideas! you see where I got some of the idea for some of my atcs there!
Have fun with trying these out, and even more fun on trish's site!

audrey, I use the cheap acrylic paint that you are talking about.
Old 03-01-2008, 11:42 PM
stampin stacy

I used ink, chalk pastels and the bags that veggies (top left) like tomatoes and potatoes come in to make the background paper (bottom left). I then used them to make the all the stuff on the right side. You can either dab the bags into the ink and then onto the paper or lay the bag down onto the paper and then apply the ink directly onto the paper over the bag and then lift up the bag to see what you get.

BTW, the Hummingbird image top is stamped first and then the bottom one was done by stamping again without re-inking.

Stamp credits: Hummingbird - Rubber Stampede, Sunflower - PSX, Live Love Laugh - Stamp Camp, small flowers on oval - Rubber Stamp Tapestry
Old 03-02-2008, 08:08 AM
Audreyrose

You guys are great!! I am printing the directions and cannot wait to try. I found some acrylic paints in my drawer when I cleaned them out! This afternoon hubbie is fixing supper and i will be creating until I go take care of my lady! Thanks and keep the ideas coming
Love ya,
Audrey
Old 03-02-2008, 08:52 AM
TimeforT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audreyrose View Post
When you use the paint is it acrylic?
YES! that is what I use. I try to dry brush it so that the paper doesn't curl as much! Thin coats of paint work best. Thanks for asking.
Old 03-02-2008, 09:51 AM
marstamper

You can also use acrylic webbing paint. Just put your cs outside on the grass or hang on clothesline, and spray. The webs go in random patterns. Let dry, and wella!! Nice background.