Rubber Stamp Chat

Go Back   Rubber Stamp Chat > Studio > Tips and Tutorials

Tips and Tutorials Learn new stamping techniques and projects. Ask how stamping techniques are done here.

Old 02-22-2008, 03:32 PM
Audreyrose

Question Making paper

I have the paper making kit and I think I will give it a try this weekend anyone have tips to help me along? I got some beautiful roses from my sweetie for Vday and would like to incorporate them into the paper. Any hints would be great.
Thanks,
Audrey
Old 02-22-2008, 05:40 PM
Hopelessly addicted!

Audrey, I tried paper making w/o a kit way back when I was in my 20's, because I had seen some really cool cards made with home made paper that had chile seed in the paper. You were supposed to send your message to the recipient of the card along with the instructions on how they could re-use and recyle the card. The instructions were to bury the card in soil, and water it, and you would have chile plants soon growing! I thought that was wayyyy cool, and I wanted to replicate it. Well I did not have the proper equipment for making paper, and my results were less than desireable, it was super thick and lumpy1 But it was interesting and fun.
Anyway, that probably was no help, but it brought back a nice memory.
As for using the rose petals, I think that you could dry them, and add the crumbled up to the paper mush before you put in the deckle. I used to know all the terms, but they evade me right now.
Old 02-22-2008, 05:56 PM
Inky the Muse

Back when Carol Duvall's show was on, she had a guy show how to make paper & he placed dried flat flower petals on top of the smoothed out pulp after pouring it onto the bottom screen & before he put the top piece on to smoosh the water out. You could try it with fresh petals, but they might bleed color into the surrounding pulp. This could be an interesting effect, but not the crisp look paper w/flowers usually has. You could also search the web for other paper making directions for tips & variations from what the kit directions give you. Have fun!
Old 02-22-2008, 06:02 PM
Audreyrose

Thanks Jenna! Someof the petals have dried and I wanted to lay them in the paper as well as the baby's breath. I'll let you know what happens!
Old 02-22-2008, 07:41 PM
Inky the Muse

You are most welcome, Audrey!
Old 02-23-2008, 01:44 PM
Audreyrose

Thought I would let you know how my papermaking efforts are going. I am HOOKED!!! I love doing it! I though that it would be much more complicated than it is. I have put glitter into the paper and also some leaves(we will see if the leaves stay in, my baby's breat didn't) It is so much fun. I am using white paper with black printing on it so when you make the pulp the new paper it has a light lavender color. Fun Fun Fun!!
Old 02-23-2008, 03:33 PM
Inky the Muse

Good for you!!!

I wonder if you ironed the babies breath between sheets of blank paper or otherwise pressed them flat before adding them to the pulp they might stay in better? Those lil flowers are pretty but rather 3D and I would think anything on the lumpy side might not stay put after the paper dries. All the handmade paper I've seen close up (mostly in stores) have dried & pressed flowers. I wonder if placing the flowers between sheets of wax or parchment paper & running them thru' a pasta maker before drying would work or would it smoosh them too much? There's always the time honored slow method of placing the flowers in between sheets of wax or parchment paper then placing those sheets inside of (or under) a big book, like a dictionary, to dry flat.

Maybe some of your lovely new paper will end up in a card and get posted or swaped to some body who can post a photo here.

Keep having fun with your new paper crafting!!!
Old 02-23-2008, 04:35 PM
Audreyrose

Thanks Jenna, I did not try to press the baby's breath flat and that I am sure is the problem. It came off but left an impression on the paper so that is ok. I put euclaptus (spelling wrong) in the paper and they stayed in and you can smell them in the paper. I will just keep trying different things. I put beads in the pulp prior to straining and pressing and they stayed, but I really don't like the look so I will probably cut it apart and use small parts on cards.
Old 02-23-2008, 05:44 PM
Inky the Muse

The eucalyptus paper sounds yummy! What a great idea to add scented flora to your paper, Audrey!!! I also applaude you for being brave & experimenting in several directions to see what possibilities exist instead of just sticking to the basic directions. You GO girl!!!
Old 02-23-2008, 08:47 PM
Audreyrose

I'll Tell you Jenna you sure know how to make me smile!!