Rubber Stamp Chat

Go Back   Rubber Stamp Chat > Studio > Tips and Tutorials

Tips and Tutorials Learn new stamping techniques and projects. Ask how stamping techniques are done here.

Old 02-16-2008, 12:49 PM
Hopelessly addicted!

Default radiant pearls help

Ok, you said I can ask questions, so here's yet another. I have several containers of radiant pearls, and really don't know what to do with them. I was messing around with embossing on a card that I had colored withe cats eye chalk inks, then I stamped a dragonfly image on it with versamark, and poured on the embossing powder, and it stuck all over the dragonfly stamp, and also a large area around it, so I brushed it off and used some radient pearls on it. I liked the effect , but again, it left alot of shine all around the image. I'm not sure if I'm using correctly, or not.
Any ideas and/or suggestions on how to use them would be appreciated. I hope I am not driving you all buggy with my questions!
susi
Old 02-16-2008, 01:17 PM
Beeswax Rubber Stamps

Check out Wilda's Gallery on my website. She embosses the stamped image and then colors in with Radiant Pearls just like painting with water colors.

Thanks for reminding me that I need to send someone a package...I forgot!
Old 02-16-2008, 01:28 PM
stampin stacy

Hey Jenna, someone needs your "experience" with the pearls.....
Old 02-16-2008, 03:26 PM
Hopelessly addicted!

wow wild's work is gorgeous!!! I could only dream to make art like that! But like my simple style too, it's how and who I am!

Hmmm, I can't wait to see what Jenna can teach me!

susi
Old 02-16-2008, 04:28 PM
Inky the Muse

Ask away! That's what we're all here for...to learn from each other.

Did you let the chalk inks dry totally (air dry or use a heat tool) before you tried embossing? If not then wet background ink may be the reason the powder stuck everywhere.

Try using an anti-static product (it comes in both lil sack like pads & cans of powder, I use the pad kind) to lessen the embossing powder's ability to cling anywhere but the wet ink of the stamped image. There are several brands out there & I've heard that used dryer sheets also work. You just lightly dust the area you wish to emboss with the a-s powder pad & tap off any excess. Then stamp using pigment ink (Versamark is a great choice!) sprinkle or dump ep over the inked area then tip the card stock around to cover all the wet ink with powder. Pour the excess powder back into the jar. If there is any stray powder on the card stock, use a fine tipped paint brush that you've dragged across the a-s pad and gently whisk or flick the offending bits off. Also try not to handle the card stock in the area you wish to emboss before stamping as the oils from your fingers will attract & hold the powder.

The a-s pad can also be used prior to using mica powders. Even so, some sparkle may remain. I use a 2 brush application. I apply the powders using a soft round brush & a gentle swirling motion. I tap off the excess & let the ink dry for a few minutes. I then use a stiff yet supple flat brush that I've dragged across the a-s pad to gently whisk away still clinging excess powder from the background. There may still be some sparkle on the backgound around the stamped image, but I use the flat brush on the whole piece of card stock (after getting the bulk of the excess off) to evenly distribute the glitz & make it look deliberate rather than sloppy.

For ease in applying the paints I like to use detail embossing powder (regular will work but some image details may be lost) over the image. The slightly raised outline helps to keep the paints from bleeding onto the background or each other & keeps the shape defined. True Radiant Pearl paints (now discontinued in favor of Twinkling H2Os) look best when applied in a thin even coat using a flat brush with the brush strokes overlapping. This will give you the smooth shimmery satin finish typical of these paints. As a bonus, the ep will 'resist' the paint to a point, keeping each area clean & separate. If you choose to use the paints w/o the ep border, start with one of the lighter colors and do all areas you want that color in and then let those areas dry completely before painting the areas next to it to avoid the wet paints bleeding together. (unless of course that the look you want )

You said you used Radiant Pearls after the embossing didn't work out & that the Pearls left a 'halo' around the image. Were you using paint or mica powders? The effect you describe has me a bit confuse because the it sounds like somthing a mice powder might do, but you used the name of a paint.

If powders then the same problem may apply as did for the embossing powder. Wet background ink or too much static.

If you were using the paints, I'm not understanding how a halo effect occured. If the above info doesn't apply to what you're dealing with, then a more detailed description or posting of a photo or scan of the project would help.

The bottom line? As long as you like the results you get, even if they're not the ones you were trying for, you've done it 'right'!
Old 02-18-2008, 07:45 AM
Hopelessly addicted!

My bad, I confused perfect pearls (I hope that's what they're called) powder, not radiant pearls, the paint!
Old 02-18-2008, 02:14 PM
Inky the Muse

In that case, remember to let your background ink dry before embossing/mica powdering a stamped image & try the anti-static pad with the 2 brushes. A little mica powder goes a long way, so add just a smidge at a time with the round brush until the image is covered. You'll have less excess to remove & possibly less of a halo effect. Also, make sure you DO NOT breathe in those powders! They are very bad for the lungs.

Have fun with your stamping!
Old 02-18-2008, 05:45 PM
Audreyrose

1hand1heart, I checked out your blog and I guess I am really the simple one or maybe not as creative. My stuff is really simple although I would like to do more commplicated stuff. I guess tastes just differ. I know I love being in my studio and creating although I have never psted my work on this or any other site(iguess I should do that, would appreciate feed back) I made our friends an anniversary card and I was given a very high compliment "Where did you buy this? It is beautiful" When my husband told him I had made it he asked me where I sold my cards, and I explained that I do not have a store or place to sell and he said, "WE need to find you a place" Nice compliment!